Mixed Foursome - Question relating to what SSS do you play?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No that is 100% correct

As above, it's a workable shortcut for the set-up Louisa describes but it is not the full process. I think it important to point that out lest anyone thinks that's the way to calculate mixed tee foursomes handicaps and applies it to a different arrangement of players and tees.

I hope it's helpful also to point out that it is the playing handicaps of the partners that is combined, not the course handicap. Since the handicap allowance is 100% it doesn't of course make any numerical difference, but I reckon it's a sound idea and not needlessly pedantic to keep the process and terminology consistent across handicap calculations to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The full details as to how to work out the handicaps can be found in
Guidance to the Rules of Handicapping Appendix I section IV Page 42
With several examples.

Based upon the the old advice we used the Ladies Stroke Indexes/pars (where SIs are needed) but I do not know if the guidance has changed.

This may also help

https://www.englandgolf.org/explaining-the-whs-mixed-multi-tee-events/

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The full details as to how to work out the handicaps can be found in
Guidance to the Rules of Handicapping Appendix I section IV Page 42
With several examples.

Based upon the the old advice we used the Ladies Stroke Indexes/pars (where SIs are needed) but I do not know if the guidance has changed........

Keep reading! It's on page 45 and here it is (with my emphasis)

For Foursomes competitions involving mixed/multi-tee pairings, the committee must specify in the Terms of Competition which single set of tees will determine the Pars and SI that are to be used. The strong advice is to use the shortest tee – e.g. in a Man/Woman pairing the tee that the Woman plays from should be used. This would also apply when the format is ‘any gender paring’ and pairings of Men or pairings of Women are also permitted within the Terms of Competition.