What distances do you hit?

albie999

Visit site
After now getting back into the game, after my leg injury, was wondering what distance I should be hitting. I got myself a skytrak couple of months before my injury, so never really did a gapping session so didn't really know my figures

Anyway, did a little gap session the other day (attached), and initially thought to myself that my distances were short and that i "should" be hitting further, however, hunting around the web, found various resources with give "Average Amateur Distances", and it seemed that I am around average

I would still like to increase my distances, especially with driver, and this will probably be down to some technique and also some gym work

Gap test
skytrak-session.JPG

Averages
golf-averages.JPG

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never done a proper distance test so all mine are approximates from the course. Variable depending on the conditions obviously. And these are total distances with roll, I don't really know what the exact carries would be.

Driver: 220-240 odd
3 wood: haven't had it long so not sure really - would hope around 200
20 hybrid: 190 ish
23 hybrid: 170-180 ish
27 hybrid: 160-170
7 iron: 150-155
8 iron: 140-145
9 iron: 130-135
Pitch: 120-125
46 wedge: 110-115
50 wedge: 95-100
56 wedge: 75-85 (rarely ever hit it full though, I prefer to take a half swing 9 iron from that sort of range)

As I say, never measured, but those are the sort of distances I have in mind when I'm playing usually. Obviously could be one club longer if cold and damp, one club less if hot and bone dry.

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Arcoss360 app is quite good for this stuff.

Id say the below are true when you factor in the averages across a year in varying types of ground condition, temperature, wind and different types of shot (full, punch, duff:ROFLMAO:.... etc). It works out your "smart distance" i.e average, the a range of distance per club and then finally the longest single hit which each club.

The longest 50 degree (217 yards) looks like a bug as i cant find that actual shot on the shot history page. The rest are good though.

Great tool IMO

Attachments

• arcoss1.png
    arcoss1.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 58
  • arcoss2.png
    arcoss2.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 54
  • arcoss3.png
    arcoss3.png
    68 KB · Views: 42

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think most of us would like extra distance, watching the beasts on tv doesn't help as they hit it so far, but sometimes you have to accept where you are. If it is a big deal, see a pro and they will advise whether the extra 10-20yds is feasible without doing a full swing chance, gym life, hours of practice etc.

albie999

Visit site
Reading your comments, it seems that I am there or thereabouts with you guys, so on average ..... at least I have a gauge now .. :)..... now I need to concentrate on straightness and accuracy and leave the distance to what it might be. I am thinking of going for some lessons after xmas, once my leg is fully fit .... as I do feel like my swing has changed (for the better) with having 4 months off with the injury ..... but would still like a pro to analyse and give me some pointers to work on

albie999

Visit site
peak height of about 4 inches probably

if you want a real laugh. Look at what happened after i bombed the (genuinely legitimate i promise) 392 yard drive down our 13th....

chunked the approach then three putted for a bloody bogey..

still haunts me in my sleep :ROFLMAO:

392 yds drive ... how to **** did you manage that ... awesome :)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
392 yds drive ... how to **** did you manage that ... awesome :)

wind behind at a good 15 knts probably, hard downhill fairway from a raised tee and a ridge that runs toward the green after about 310 yards.

Prob carried 290 then ran like the clappers for the rest.

Whilst i enjoyed the bragging rights i was still annoyed i never broke the 400 yard mark ha ha. Then again all bragging rights evaporated after the second shot anyway

drive for show....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Following on from Bob's comments elsewhere I probably need to revisit my distances. Not sure I trust Toptracer sufficiently and with range balls and so will need to get out and do some old fashioned hitting and pacing on the practice ground.

D

Deleted member 21258

For me:-

SW 85-95 carry
GW 100-110 carry
PW about 120 yard carry
9 iron about 130 carry
8 iron about 140 carry
7 iron about 150 carry
9 wood about 165 carry
7 wood about 180 carry
5 HL wood about 200 carry