What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what do you guy's think of this? The Course today was reasonably busy and all groups where moving along nicely. Approaching the 9th green we spot the group leave the green and sit outside the halfway house eating sausage baps and getting coffee. We move on to the 10th tee. Said group approach us and say we had no right to "push through". My answer was simple. I said "are you playing golf or eating sausage sandwiches? Surely you don't expect us to wait around until you decide you're ready to play golf again?“. We could have asked but it's a 150 yard detor to the halfway hut.

Needless to say they didn't get back in front of us. No doubt a complaint went in after ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So what do you guy's think of this? The Course today was reasonably busy and all groups where moving along nicely. Approaching the 9th green we spot the group leave the green and sit outside the halfway house eating sausage baps and getting coffee. We move on to the 10th tee. Said group approach us and say we had no right to "push through". My answer was simple. I said "are you playing golf or eating sausage sandwiches? Surely you don't expect us to wait around until you decide you're ready to play golf again?“. We could have asked but it's a 150 yard detor to the halfway hut.

Needless to say they didn't get back in front of us. No doubt a complaint went in after ?
I'm with you.
Unless there is a directive that everyone must stop for x minutes at the halfway house, anyone who does forfeits their position on the course.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

100% with you - it's that attitude that boils my urine. I hope that if they did complain whomever was receiving the complaints laughed in their faces and gave them a reality check.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The club will have a rule/code of conduct no doubt, ours is that you don’t go through without asking permission, and that permission should not be unreasonably withheld.

It’s a good rule and encourages good etiquette on both sides.

Maybe had a handful of incidents in 10 years.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Players continuing to putt out in 4BBB or team games when they can't score or their partner is already down for more points. I can understand it early on when you want to get a feel for the greens but other than that it really gets to me, especially in a packed field.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The club will have a rule/code of conduct no doubt, ours is that you don’t go through without asking permission, and that permission should not be unreasonably withheld.

It’s a good rule and encourages good etiquette on both sides.

Maybe had a handful of incidents in 10 years.
Played today with our society and the deal included coffee and a bacon or sausage sandwich at the halfway house. They have a large sign that states if you stop the following group goes through. Sensible in my book.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Absolute bells.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I played at Ramstein Air Force Base in the early 90's and at the 10th tee (Par 3) there was a bit of a hold up.
One group still putting out, one group on the tee waiting drinking beer, the next group enjoying burger and chips and beer, the group in front of us ordering their burger and chips and drinking beer......so when in Rome Southern Germany, do as the Yanks do.
Happy days.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shadows on your line makes it more difficult to read the break, it's not an issue of being distracted.
And there again that may well be the case for you but not the case in general - I for one don’t find the shadow of a player affecting my reading of a break any more of an issue than the shadow simply being a distraction - they are equally so.

4LEX

Visit site

Poor form. You can't just plough through without permission. I guarentee 9/10 groups would stop, so you're the minority and it wouldn't take 2 minutes to pop over and say you're not stopping and would it be OK to go through.

Where I play you'd be reported to the secretary, captain and board before you'd finished the 10th hole :ROFLMAO::sneaky:

rystaman

Visit site
Poor form. You can't just plough through without permission. I guarentee 9/10 groups would stop, so you're the minority and it wouldn't take 2 minutes to pop over and say you're not stopping and would it be OK to go through.

Where I play you'd be reported to the secretary, captain and board before you'd finished the 10th hole :ROFLMAO::sneaky:

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but if not then this and a lot of other comments in here is why a lot of people are reluctant to take up the sport. If you're sitting at the halfway house eating, you forfeit your position on the course. If I was and a group went ahead anybody who didn't have a stick up their arse wouldn't care as I wouldn't be joining the course again until I'd finished.

The fact you said you'd be reported to the secretary, captain and board literally reinforces the pompousness that people hate about this sport.

Mandofred

Visit site
Luckily, our half way house is right along the path after the 11th. Rarely does a group jump the group in front of them, but that's also because the people who have stopped to have something to eat make it a point to do so quickly. Usually the group in front is just getting up to move along when the group behind gets there. So there is a quick "having a good day?" "Nope, crap" type discussion. Occasionally before the holes were rearranged last year a group behind would just finish the 11th and continue on to the 12th. There would usually be a comment or two like "Did the group behind just go straight to 12?" comment, but nobody ever got too upset about it since they were sitting around anyway and MOST people understand that some people don't want to stop in the middle of their round (Like me. It doesn't bother me much.....but I'm there to play golf, not eat).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our ‘halfway house’ is after the 11th and set maybe 30m from the 12th tee - if my group on leaving the green sees the group ahead sitting chatting we will decide as we go towards the tee if we want to stop, have something and wait, or just keep going. If we decide the latter we let the group sitting know that we are not stopping and ask the rhetorical question - ok for us to play through? The answer coming back is always Yes. But we always ask. Respect and Etiquette being bedfellows.

Most of the time the guys I play with don‘t stop but will pick up beverage or snack of some sort.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Etiquette annoys me, very early 20th century and not for the modern man.

Just no megaphones, random screams, throwing clubs in a tantrum, clay pidgeon shooting or being slow.
You can step on my line, talk, eat crisps, take a leak, walk infront to your ball, dance like your auditioning for a ten from Len and take a phone call - whatever, easy golf in three to three and half hours ideally and mines a Guinness, thank you.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Etiquette annoys me, very early 20th century and not for the modern man.

Just no megaphones, random screams, throwing clubs in a tantrum, clay pidgeon shooting or being slow.
You can step on my line, talk, eat crisps, take a leak, walk infront to your ball, dance like your auditioning for a ten from Len and take a phone call - whatever, easy golf in three to three and half hours ideally and mines a Guinness, thank you.

That's etiquette.
So what you're saying is; you don't mind etiquette as long as it's your own. ;)

sunshine

Visit site

Although I sympathise with your stance, the key question is what did the group in front of them do? If that group also stopped, and every (most) group ahead too, then that is just the pace of play and you need to wait.

However, if you stepped on to the 10th tee and the hole ahead was clear, then the guys in front of you have lost their position and should let you through.

The second key question, is what sauce did these guys have? Got to be brown sauce, if it's red they forfeit their position on the course. All this talk of sausage baps has made me hungry.