What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You know when you think someone usually talks sense and you suspect they’re probably reasonably well-adjusted…

The second key question, is what sauce did these guys have? Got to be brown sauce, if it's red they forfeit their position on the course.

Then they come out with that!!

It's been well documented through the ages that its tomato sauce with a sausage roll, the brown sauce (must) go with the bacon roll. (y)
Thank me later :giggle:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what do you guy's think of this? The Course today was reasonably busy and all groups where moving along nicely. Approaching the 9th green we spot the group leave the green and sit outside the halfway house eating sausage baps and getting coffee. We move on to the 10th tee. Said group approach us and say we had no right to "push through". My answer was simple. I said "are you playing golf or eating sausage sandwiches? Surely you don't expect us to wait around until you decide you're ready to play golf again?“. We could have asked but it's a 150 yard detor to the halfway hut.

Needless to say they didn't get back in front of us. No doubt a complaint went in after ?

At one of my former clubs, the rules in place for the half way hut worked really well. The next hole was a short par 4 and so you could stay in the hut until the group ahead reached the next green, you then were expected to leave the hut and tee off. If you did not head for the next tee then, the group behind were entitled to play through and tee off next. Some groups liked a sit and a chat and would let 2 or 3 groups though, others got everything take away and headed straight to the tee. Seemed to work though and spaced the groups out nicely and so the pace on the back 9 was often more consistent than on the front.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You know when you think someone usually talks sense and you suspect they’re probably reasonably well-adjusted…

Then they come out with that!!

It's been well documented through the ages that its tomato sauce with a sausage roll, the brown sauce (must) go with the bacon roll. (y)
Thank me later :giggle:
My missus would pull you up on that. For her, it's brown sauce on a roll and sausage, red sauce on roll and bacon.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You see this is the real irritation, it took 240 some posts to get there but now we know. Etiquette has nothing to do with where you stand, calling someone through or what colour your socks are... Its what colour sauce you should use! :sneaky:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's all etiquette is.....some weird behaviors that somebody decided other people needed to follow. MUST wear white socks with shorts, but ugly golf clothes - Google Search are great.
Dress code is not etiquette. Dress code is local to the club; etiquette is in general global - certainly UK-wide - so that while playing we all act and behave to a common standard, showing a common level of decency and respect to other players no matter where and with whom we play. And no one decided rules of etiquette, they will have evolved through broad agreement amongst players as the game developed.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Dress code is not etiquette. Dress code is local to the club; etiquette is in general global - certainly UK-wide - so that while paying we all act and behave to a common standard, showing a common level of decency and respect to other players no matter where and with whom we play. And no one decided rules of etiquette, they will have evolved through broad agreement amongst players as the game developed.
Then why are these standards different at different clubs? If universal.....wouldn't every club have the exact same standards and exactly the same dress code (or etiquette guidelines)? So who made......etiquette? Etiquette is slightly different everywhere...which means there are different standards of etiquette. I'm a member at 2 clubs....the club I've just joined is noticably more relaxed on the clothing (and etiquette) requirement. These standards have changed in the past.....and they will continue to change. Who knows, maybe everybody will have to wear exactly the same thing like a school uniform.....or Heaven help us.....something like this....
3a37fc6b58dfc16c39d69df3c5531e65.jpg
. Poulter really has confidence to wear something like this.......although.....I think it does match..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Then why are these standards different at different clubs? If universal.....wouldn't every club have the exact same standards and exactly the same dress code (or etiquette guidelines)? So who made......etiquette? Etiquette is slightly different everywhere...which means there are different standards of etiquette. I'm a member at 2 clubs....the club I've just joined is noticably more relaxed on the clothing (and etiquette) requirement. These standards have changed in the past.....and they will continue to change. Who knows, maybe everybody will have to wear exactly the same thing like a school uniform.....or Heaven help us.....something like this....
. Poulter really has confidence to wear something like this.......although.....I think it does match..
He just told you etiquette is nothing to do with dress codes, how are you still getting confused? It's simply about your attitude and how you treat other players on the course. A simple definition of etiquette would be "expected politeness".

Mandofred

Visit site
He just told you etiquette is nothing to do with dress codes, how are you still getting confused? It's simply about your attitude and how you treat other players on the course. A simple definition of etiquette would be "expected politeness".
Did you read what I wrote? I mentioned that both dress AND etiquette were different.....give it another read....

Expected politeness is different all over the place. Generally speaking.....a lot of similarities....but a lot of differences.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you read what I wrote? I mentioned that both dress AND etiquette were different.....give it another read....

Expected politeness is different all over the place. Generally speaking.....a lot of similarities....but a lot of differences.
Etiquette may vary culturally in different countries, and it will vary on the individuals expectations, but I don't think it varies from golf club to golf club exactly. Since it's usually unwritten anyway. Whereas a dress code is very much written.

Mandofred

Visit site
Elite golf courses....https://tempusmagazine.co.uk/news/the-five-most-exclusive-golf-clubs-in-the-uk

Will the etiquette at these golf courses (just in the UK) be the same as at the clubs where I'm a member? Not....a....chance. Generally speaking.....the more money you spend.....the tighter the etiquette standards are. I could be wrong.....but I'd put a whole lot of money on it. Same country....different standards. Or....maybe I should say that the etiquette "rules" or more strictly enforced at the posh places?

This topic is something that people just disagree with. I have what I consider good manners on a course (at least these days...a few years ago....nope...I probably should have been shot), others have their own standards.....they just seem to be up to whimsy. People lean different ways on politics...religion.....etc etc etc. they aren't right or wrong in most cases, they just see things differently.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aren't etiquette and dress code part of the same thing? They're both affectations towards demonstrating respect to others. Both come from a point of common sense and decency, and get taken to the point of absurdity.

D

Deleted Member 1156

What are the differences in etiquette between your 2 clubs?

RichA

Visit site
Surely it all depends where you are and who you're with.
I've never even heard the words "dress code" mentioned at our club. Etiquette is just common sense and respecting the spirit of the game. If your group embraces ready golf it will be different to a group who adhere to more old fashioned playing principles. As long as each group respects the other then who cares. If members of different factions are drawn together, etiquette is just how you accommodate one another. Like any other social or professional interaction, but hitting a little ball with sticks on a nice walk.
The big local club just has more Range Rovers in the car park and people who don't know you seem less likely to say hello. Otherwise, the experience is pretty similar.
I can't afford to stay or play there, but I've heard that Gleneagles, firmly one of the world's top courses, is a pretty chilled out place when it comes to attire and etiquette.

Mandofred

Visit site
What are the differences in etiquette between your 2 clubs?
I prefer not to go into specifics. Generally speaking however.....the new club is less picky about noise, clothing, behavior in general. Early this morning I went out as a single....sometimes I just like to practice and it's pretty quiet on weekday mornings at the new club, more of a fight with the grounds fellows while they are mowing etc. The guy in front of me was out a good 20 minutes before me.....I caught him after 3 holes. He was playing 2 balls every hole and just moving like a sloth. I jumped 2 holes to get around him. No issue with me.....at this early point at this club, I'm just learning the etiquette/behavior etc...and I'm just out for a practice round. Later in the round another guy in a cart was jumping all over the place and right up my butt at one point...and then disappeared again....it didn't seem an issue with him either.

Now...you have to understand I've come from the US standard of public courses. Awesome at times....scary at others. I've seen plenty of people in flip flops and tank tops.....golf carts full of beer.....cart girls with skimpy tops selling beer by the bucket load....... Generally speaking, the people on these golf courses are having a great time and really enjoying themselves....more so than here. This behavior would cause.....havoc here. I'd join this kind of club without hesitation. Fun. Fun. Fun.

The haters will see these comments and go negative......it's not good or bad, just different. I'm very likely to stay with the new club next year...partially because of the more relaxed way of looking at things. Relax....it's just golf.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

No, don't agree. Etiquette is pretty much universal. What differences do you note on different courses. And we are talking about accepted behaviour ?