What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a competition 10 feet around the hole is a fair enough distance to mark that up out of the way as a courtesy to the player putting.

If your just out mucking about people will hit putts willy nilly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I immediately thought exactly the same as you.:LOL:

It's not just the tee though... what about on the green? Does everyone have to be in the field of vision? What if the player hits his tee shot on the right side of the fairway, does the rest of the group have to stand in the right side rough while he plays his second shot (assuming right handed player)? The mind boggles.
I would rather have players behind me so I can’t see them.
But in front isn’t a problem .
As long as their quiet during my swing they can do what they like,( except eat crisps).
Concentration and being able to shut things out are part of the game imo,

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I would rather have players behind me so I can’t see them.
But in front isn’t a problem .
As long as their quiet during my swing they can do what they like,( except eat crisps).
Concentration and being able to shut things out are part of the game imo,

No one is trying to hit you when playing golf, so in reality there is very little to worry about. Which is maybe why some are predisposed to go looking for things to annoy them.

I'd prefer people to continue to talk if they want. Its better than a sudden silence then someone puncturing it. I'm able to block most things out, so I don't really care either way.
Some of the group I used to play with would constantly talk and move around, so I got used to it. Now my lad has taken up golf and my daughter sometimes comes and walks round. Son now I'm getting used to holding a conversation whilst hitting shots ?

The only thing that really bothers me are people moving close when hitting as it brings thoughts of hitting them. Shadows used to annoy me beyond reason, but they don't anymore.

Someone standing on my line when the greens are soft would still annoy me. Many people do it when there is lots of break on a put. They will make a big effort to lean over in an effort to not stand on your line. Whilst doing exactly that. Its usually poor or new golfers that don't understand the contours on the green and see everything as a straight line.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I deal with it - it’s not a ball.

But on the general principal in respect of etiquette and distractions when another is putting - see second point in the GM article linked to in the opening post of this thread - ‘shadow on the line’. Who could ever be distracted by such a thing - I might ask. But we all know that many are - as the article points out. Do we wait until asked to move?

And for HNSP see point one in the article.

I suspect that the authors of the article - Mssrs Tappin and Ellwood - might fall my side of this particular fence if pushed...and of course they might not.
Shadows on your line makes it more difficult to read the break, it's not an issue of being distracted.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No one is trying to hit you when playing golf, so in reality there is very little to worry about. Which is maybe why some are predisposed to go looking for things to annoy them.

I'd prefer people to continue to talk if they want. Its better than a sudden silence then someone puncturing it. I'm able to block most things out, so I don't really care either way.
Some of the group I used to play with would constantly talk and move around, so I got used to it. Now my lad has taken up golf and my daughter sometimes comes and walks round. Son now I'm getting used to holding a conversation whilst hitting shots ?

The only thing that really bothers me are people moving close when hitting as it brings thoughts of hitting them. Shadows used to annoy me beyond reason, but they don't anymore.

Someone standing on my line when the greens are soft would still annoy me. Many people do it when there is lots of break on a put. They will make a big effort to lean over in an effort to not stand on your line. Whilst doing exactly that. Its usually poor or new golfers that don't understand the contours on the green and see everything as a straight line.
Shadows do annoy me, even my own sometimes.
I wear reactolite glasses and shadows make it very dark.
When I used to play in the scratch team we used to delibaretly move around and talk etc .
This got us used to any gamesmanship from opponents.
There wasn’t much , but there were some who did it all the time.
Sadly them days are over, I used to love the matchplay.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I played in a comp the other week at a neighbouring course, one player who picked their ball up, walked onto the green to watch us putt and opened a big bag of crisps whilst watching. That was noisy ??
What flavour?

sunshine

Visit site
I played in a comp the other week at a neighbouring course, one player who picked their ball up, walked onto the green to watch us putt and opened a big bag of crisps whilst watching. That was noisy ??

Crisps - an etiquette minefield. Did the player share them, normally I'd at least offer my partners, but with COVID that's a bit awkward. Personally I'm not a fan of crisps while playing golf, it makes my fingers oily and then I transfer it to the grips.

Maybe somebody could invent golf crisps that come in a bag which can be opened silently and have little crisp tongs so you remain COVID safe and don't get greasy fingers. There's got to be a market out there.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I learned to play, one of the unwritten rules I learned was the first person to hole out gets the flag so when the last person finishes, the flag man is there ready.
There were many occasion when I played in pro-ams where I would be the last to putt and then I'd need to fetch the flag.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I learned to play, one of the unwritten rules I learned was the first person to hole out gets the flag so when the last person finishes, the flag man is there ready.
There were many occasion when I played in pro-ams where I would be the last to putt and then I'd need to fetch the flag.
Taking the flag out feels like a bygone age now, like a lifetime ago. I honestly can't remember the last time I took the flag out - I obviously didn't register that it would be the last time I did it for two years. :LOL:

AliMc

Visit site
My mate and I played an open gents pairs with a couple of old guys who were, tbh, a bit grumpy.
Near the end of the round one of them says to the other 'do you know how much this flagstick weighs' reply 'No'
'aye that'll be right because you never pick the effing thing up'