What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, haven't read the thread fully but there must be a mention of not being called through by the group ahead that is more than a hole down well before the 16th, 17th hole?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

Mandofred

Visit site
People just seem to look for reasons to get upset. Once upon a time.....I played with a guy that was soooooo easily distracted he went a little nuts (while he was putting) when I was standing alongside the green next to my partner and I had my golf ball in my hands just rubbing the dirt off of it. Just literally rubbing it in my hands....no up and down....just rubbing the ball. Just that little bit of movement was enough to upset him. I've always been sorry I didn't just tell him to (insert bad word here) off....and just headed home. He did similar things a number of times. Any movement....anywhere...was enough to distract him. Just seriously nuts......and ruined the golf for everybody else.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
People just seem to look for reasons to get upset. Once upon a time.....I played with a guy that was soooooo easily distracted he went a little nuts (while he was putting) when I was standing alongside the green next to my partner and I had my golf ball in my hands just rubbing the dirt off of it. Just literally rubbing it in my hands....no up and down....just rubbing the ball. Just that little bit of movement was enough to upset him. I've always been sorry I didn't just tell him to (insert bad word here) off....and just headed home. He did similar things a number of times. Any movement....anywhere...was enough to distract him. Just seriously nuts......and ruined the golf for everybody else.

I've played with people like that. Its almost like they enjoy being wound up.

How do they cope with the noise from wind, birds, players on other parts of the course, airplanes, passing cars and on and on.

In my younger days I just put up with people like that. Now I would tell them to wind it in or they can play on ahead and I will continue to enjoy my round on my own. I've got neither the time or patience for it anymore.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played with people like that. Its almost like they enjoy being wound up.

How do they cope with the noise from wind, birds, players on other parts of the course, airplanes, passing cars and on and on.

In my younger days I just put up with people like that. Now I would tell them to wind it in or they can play on ahead and I will continue to enjoy my round on my own. I've got neither the time or patience for it anymore.

Talking of airplanes I once played at a golf at a club right next to the Farnbourgh Air Show on the day that it was on.

It was a superb day but one of my brothers didn’t enjoy it for the noise, it started when he was just about to tee off than the red arrows suddenly appeared overhead, then the European Air bus flew by very low and boy what a noise that was we had to cover our ears.

All through the round he moaned but to cap it all near the end he hit a poor shot and landed in a bunker, look out I said here comes the air bus again, I won’t say what he said as it would get me a ban but he did say he wouldn’t be back.
It didn’t take much to irritate him?. what a brilliant day it was though but I think that club has closed now.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Talking of airplanes I once played at a golf at a club right next to the Farnbourgh Air Show on the day that it was on.

It was a superb day but one of my brothers didn’t enjoy it for the noise, it started when he was just about to tee off than the red arrows suddenly appeared overhead, then the European Air bus flew by very low and boy what a noise that was we had to cover our ears.

All through the round he moaned but to cap it all near the end he hit a poor shot and landed in a bunker, look out I said here comes the air bus again, I won’t say what he said as it would get me a ban but he did say he wouldn’t be back.
It didn’t take much to irritate him?. what a brilliant day it was though but I think that club has closed now.
We sometimes get machine gun fire from Barry Buddon ranges which are across the railway line from part of the course, Carnoustie and Panmure get the same - kind of worrying that you stop noticing it after a while.

RichA

Visit site
Yes same here, flicked through it. It's up there with flag tending and changing shoes in the car park!
Interesting. I've only been looking at this forum since Lockdown 2, but it almost seems like there are familiar names from that thread that just recycle the same old gripes about made up etiquette hoping that new folks will bite. Seems like poor lifestyle etiquette in itself, ironically.
And reminds me why I've quit various cycling, motoring etc forums over the years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We sometimes get machine gun fire from Barry Buddon ranges which are across the railway line from part of the course, Carnoustie and Panmure get the same - kind of worrying that you stop noticing it after a while.
Similar scenario at our place. They have pheasant shooting in neighbouring fields on occasions and one time a guest commented on the 18th that he liked the course but couldn't cope with the constant noise of the shotguns. I had phased them out and had to think for a few seconds to work out what he was talking about. Having grown up under the flight path of Manchester airport you learn to zone out certain noises ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Played Renfrew GC once and a Jumbo jet took off over the course.
Jeez we could see the wheel nuts it was that low. The wash off it was horrible.

sunshine

Visit site
Played Renfrew GC once and a Jumbo jet took off over the course.
Jeez we could see the wheel nuts it was that low. The wash off it was horrible.

Your playing partner still probably had a moan because you coughed during his practice swing while the plane flew overhead :LOL:

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I once played a club match there when the air show was on, quite a thing really. Shame it’s gone now.

AliMc

Visit site
Similar scenario at our place. They have pheasant shooting in neighbouring fields on occasions and one time a guest commented on the 18th that he liked the course but couldn't cope with the constant noise of the shotguns. I had phased them out and had to think for a few seconds to work out what he was talking about. Having grown up under the flight path of Manchester airport you learn to zone out certain noises ?
Slightly similar at Dunbar, our shotgun scramble or whatever other format they choose doesn't start with a shotgun anymore as one year it inadvertently caused the lifeboat to be lauched, i think they just use a klaxton now

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I read the first 3 pages, realised there were 68 in total and baled for the good of my health. I now understand why that thread has gained legendary status. Fair play.
And remember - the thread linked to was the second thread of the discussion - the previous one having been closed by the mods for reasons I can’t recall...it must have got into a heated exchange of views. If I recall correctly the original was of similar length ?

But as I have noted earlier on this one...on the points of etiquette listed in our hosts article, standing in the correct place when a playing companion is teeing off is at #1.

So the view ‘who cares as long as they are quiet and out of the way’ does not accord with the view that, wherever possible, most players teeing off prefer to be able to see their playing companion(s) - which is what the HNSP asks for ?

BTW - HNSP was not made up (though the acronym was - by Doon I think) - it was something driven into me as a young lad in about 1970 by golfers I played with when I started playing my local municipal course on southside of Glasgow. I did not question these fellas but did what they told me to do as far as etiquette was concerned - and so I stood where they told me to stand and did not question why - it was just so ?

Last edited:

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
I played in a comp the other week at a neighbouring course, one player who picked their ball up, walked onto the green to watch us putt and opened a big bag of crisps whilst watching. That was noisy ??