What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

RichA

Visit site
Gyms, pubs, restaurants, workplaces can serve up the same product with totally different rules and experiences.
I can't see why some people feel the golf experience has to be identical everywhere. We already play infinite different little games with different rules and different betting mechanisms. It's a leisure activity, not a cult.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Etiquette is respect for your fellow golfers. The term etiquette is sometimes thought of as something "posh" rather than good manners. I posted a video earlier in this thread from the R&A explaining exactly what golf etiquette is.
Definition of Etiquette - "the customary code of polite behaviour in society or among members of a particular profession or group."

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
No, don't agree. Etiquette is pretty much universal. What differences do you note on different courses. And we are talking about accepted behaviour ?
Is there anything that I could say/copy-paste/write that would change your mind on what you believe to be "fact"? I don't think so. As has been pointed out many times on this site, people just don't change their minds on what they think is the way to do things. If I pointed out differences that you mention....you would then just ignore that like a Trump supporter. People tend to only believe.....what they want to believe. Etiquette is not universal.....it's local.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is there anything that I could say/copy-paste/write that would change your mind on what you believe to be "fact"? I don't think so. As has been pointed out many times on this site, people just don't change their minds on what they think is the way to do things. If I pointed out differences that you mention....you would then just ignore that like a Trump supporter. People tend to only believe.....what they want to believe. Etiquette is not universal.....it's local.
I honestly cannot imagine there being very much difference across the world of golf in respect of how we are expected to behave towards, and in the company of, other players, and in recognition of the needs and wishes of others whilst playing, or indeed to how we look after the course as we play it.

I might ask those who disagree with this view to identify which of the points of etiquette listed by Messrs Tappin and Ellwood in the article subject of the OP would you classify as outdated/nonsensical or not universally munderstood.

Expectations in respect of dress; format of play; order of play, and such as jumping between holes, playing multiple balls and the standing of a singleton will indeed vary, but I do not include such matters under the heading of ‘etiquette’ as it applies more broadly.

Mandofred

Visit site
I honestly cannot imagine there being very much difference across the world of golf in respect of how we are expected to behave towards, and in the company of, other players, and in recognition of the needs and wishes of others whilst playing, or indeed to how we look after the course as we play it.

I might ask those who disagree with this view to identify which of the points of etiquette listed by Messrs Tappin and Ellwood in the article subject of the OP would you classify as outdated/nonsensical or not universally munderstood.

Expectations in respect of dress; format of play; order of play, and such as jumping between holes, playing multiple balls and the standing of a singleton will indeed vary, but I do not include such matters under the heading of ‘etiquette’ as it applies more broadly.
*If someone on a nearby hole hits a long putt.....and then there is a cheer.....does this bother you? If so, why?
*If you can hear someone talking on the tee box of a nearby hole....just between themselves, but not really quiet...does this bother you? Why?
*If someone walks across your line of putt on the green.....does this bother you? Why? I literally cannot see any imprint of your foot after walking on current greens....that is NOT going to effect my putt. But, let's keep the etiquette because someone will think it "might" effect the putt. 99.9% of putters couldn't tell the difference in their dreams.
I could go on....but.....what's the point?

As I've mentioned earlier.....I've been on courses where the clothing/behavior standards are....shall we say....questionable. If etiquette/behavior is pretty well the same the world over, how is this possible?

Keep that stiff upper lip......keep marching along....don't change anything. That's golf.

D

Deleted Member 1156

*If someone on a nearby hole hits a long putt.....and then there is a cheer.....does this bother you? If so, why?
*If you can hear someone talking on the tee box of a nearby hole....just between themselves, but not really quiet...does this bother you? Why?
*If someone walks across your line of putt on the green.....does this bother you? Why? I literally cannot see any imprint of your foot after walking on current greens....that is NOT going to effect my putt. But, let's keep the etiquette because someone will think it "might" effect the putt. 99.9% of putters couldn't tell the difference in their dreams.

As I've mentioned earlier.....I've been on courses where the clothing/behavior standards are....shall we say....questionable. If etiquette/behavior is pretty well the same the world over, how is this possible?

Keep that stiff upper lip......keep marching along....don't change anything. That's golf.
It appears that you play a different game to what is considered acceptable in the UK.

Mandofred

Visit site
It appears that you play a different game to what is considered acceptable in the UK.
Ahhh, the ol' the UK is better view.

*golfers who take big divots, but don't repair them.
*hole in ones.....required to pay lots of money for drinks.....crazy
*shake hands at the end of the round, no matter how many times you've peed during the round (assuming you use your hands....I do).
*remove your hat when shaking hands....why?
*turning phone off on the course.....and everybody ignores it.
*pace of play.....always keep up with the group ahead.....and then they don't
*teeing off in order....or hitting in order.....or putting in order.....yawn

Is there anything I could put down that would change your mind on anything? I doubt it. Anything you could mention that would change my mind? I doubt it. So we are just arguing for the sake of arguing....kind of senseless don't you think? I realize it......can you?

Golfnut1957

Visit site

If a group cheer from a far away green most people I know would be curious rather than annoyed.
Unless it is in a crowded room where everyone is shouting to be heard I don't want to hear your conversation, anywhere. I'm not interested in anything you have to say, particularly from afar on the golf course so just tone it down.....please.
If the green is soft and heaven forbid you are wearing spikes, and you stand on the line of my putt, I will just stand there, say nothing and wonder why you couldn't have had just a little consideration for my wishes. But it's ok, you can just decide whether or not it will affect my fragile putting mind.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

*shake hands at the end of the round, no matter how many times you've peed during the round (assuming you use your hands....I do).

Is there anything I could put down that would change your mind on anything? I doubt it. Anything you could mention that would change my mind? I doubt it. So we are just arguing for the sake of arguing....kind of senseless don't you think? I realize it......can you?
You don't need to change anyone's mind, and you don't need to do any of the things on your list. You can pee on your fingers as much as you want. You can play golf how you want to, do anything on the course that you want to, no problem.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Do whatever you want as long as you show consideration for other people on the course. Not everyone wants to have to put up with 5 hours of hooting and hollering.

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.randa.org/News/2013/11/Golfing-Etiquette

The R&A have it as universal by putting it in their rule book which goes to every club

Believe the same for the USGA

How people act on a golf course in general is universal and that also includes professional golf

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine

Visit site
Elite golf courses....https://tempusmagazine.co.uk/news/the-five-most-exclusive-golf-clubs-in-the-uk

Will the etiquette at these golf courses (just in the UK) be the same as at the clubs where I'm a member? Not....a....chance. Generally speaking.....the more money you spend.....the tighter the etiquette standards are. I could be wrong.....but I'd put a whole lot of money on it. Same country....different standards. Or....maybe I should say that the etiquette "rules" or more strictly enforced at the posh places?

This topic is something that people just disagree with. I have what I consider good manners on a course (at least these days...a few years ago....nope...I probably should have been shot), others have their own standards.....they just seem to be up to whimsy. People lean different ways on politics...religion.....etc etc etc. they aren't right or wrong in most cases, they just see things differently.

Hey, I understand your point.

There are some elements of etiquette which are universal (e.g. don't talk during someone's backswing), but then there are others which are particular to a country or individual club (e.g. I once played a course where the members said that you should never let someone through on a par 3).

But where did you dig up that article on elite courses? The author clearly knows nothing about any of the listed courses and has had a field day making up facts and opinions :ROFLMAO:. Here's an example: "Given the rolling camber of its links-style layout, it is a huge surprise that Loch Lomond hasn’t hosted an edition of the Open Championship as yet."

D

Deleted member 15344

Hey, I understand your point.

There are some elements of etiquette which are universal (e.g. don't talk during someone's backswing), but then there are others which are particular to a country or individual club (e.g. I once played a course where the members said that you should never let someone through on a par 3).

But where did you dig up that article on elite courses? The author clearly knows nothing about any of the listed courses and has had a field day making up facts and opinions :ROFLMAO:. Here's an example: "Given the rolling camber of its links-style layout, it is a huge surprise that Loch Lomond hasn’t hosted an edition of the Open Championship as yet."
Also Royal St George’s whilst expensive is far from “exclusive” - even more so when compared to the others in that article