What are your biggest etiquette irritations?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Talking of airplanes I once played at a golf at a club right next to the Farnbourgh Air Show on the day that it was on.

It was a superb day but one of my brothers didn’t enjoy it for the noise, it started when he was just about to tee off than the red arrows suddenly appeared overhead, then the European Air bus flew by very low and boy what a noise that was we had to cover our ears.

All through the round he moaned but to cap it all near the end he hit a poor shot and landed in a bunker, look out I said here comes the air bus again, I won’t say what he said as it would get me a ban but he did say he wouldn’t be back.
It didn’t take much to irritate him?. what a brilliant day it was though but I think that club has closed now.
yup - Southwood gc has closed...I believe pilots complained about being distracted when taking off by the antics of golfers...I think...possibly ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Slightly similar at Dunbar, our shotgun scramble or whatever other format they choose doesn't start with a shotgun anymore as one year it inadvertently caused the lifeboat to be lauched, i think they just use a klaxton now
Living in the fens, we get the bang machines (I'm sure there is a more technical name for them) going off regularly as we play.

Played at Horsforth golf club a few times, which runs righ next to the runway at Leeds Bradford Airport.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
yup - Southwood gc has closed...I believe pilots complained about being distracted when taking off by the antics of golfers...I think...possibly ?
Seems to be an "abandoned" 27 hole (possibly even 36) layout to the north of the airfield? Presumably that was Southwood?

And the Army Golf Club on the other side of the airfield, is (or was when i was last there) separated from the jets by a mere mesh link fence. A good high slice on the 14th could see you bouncing one off a Learjet or something. Was never there during an airshow though. But did once play Park Wood during Biggin Hill Air Show - its sort of just off the end of the runway. Scared the pants off me when a couple of Tornados roared over so low that we all ducked ...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And remember - the thread linked to was the second thread of the discussion - the previous one having been closed by the mods for reasons I can’t recall...it must have got into a heated exchange of views. If I recall correctly the original was of similar length ?

But as I have noted earlier on this one...on the points of etiquette listed in our hosts article, standing in the correct place when a playing companion is teeing off is at #1.

So the view ‘who cares as long as they are quiet and out of the way’ does not accord with the view that, wherever possible, most players teeing off prefer to be able to see their playing companion(s) - which is what the HNSP asks for ?

BTW - HNSP was not made up (though the acronym was - by Doon I think) - it was something driven into me as a young lad in about 1970 by golfers I played with when I started playing my local municipal course on southside of Glasgow. I did not question these fellas but did what they told me to do as far as etiquette was concerned - and so I stood where they told me to stand and did not question why - it was just so ?
That's just common sense though, if you have the option if either side it's probably better to go in front of the player. But if the path leads up to the tee on the left hand side, I've not about to ask everybody to walk around to the right hand side, because I'd feel like a total arse. As long as they're well back and not making any sudden noises it's all good.

If you play in a four-ball where one of you is left-handed, and he's teeing off third, do you all walk around the tee to the left hand side, and then back round to the right hand side for the 4th player to tee off?? Another waste of time. :ROFLMAO:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
That's just common sense though, if you have the option if either side it's probably better to go in front of the player. But if the path leads up to the tee on the left hand side, I've not about to ask everybody to walk around to the right hand side, because I'd feel like a total arse. As long as they're well back and not making any sudden noises it's all good.

If you play in a four-ball where one of you is left-handed, and he's teeing off third, do you all walk around the tee to the left hand side, and then back round to the right hand side for the 4th player to tee off?? Another waste of time. :ROFLMAO:
Please no Orikoru - You know not what you are starting here.

BiMGuy

Visit site

Walk away. Do not engage.

It won't end well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seems to be an "abandoned" 27 hole (possibly even 36) layout to the north of the airfield? Presumably that was Southwood?

And the Army Golf Club on the other side of the airfield, is (or was when i was last there) separated from the jets by a mere mesh link fence. A good high slice on the 14th could see you bouncing one off a Learjet or something. Was never there during an airshow though. But did once play Park Wood during Biggin Hill Air Show - its sort of just off the end of the runway. Scared the pants off me when a couple of Tornados roared over so low that we all ducked ...
That’s Southwood and The Army is as you say. Not a lot between golfers and airfield.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
One thing that strikes me on this thread is the confusion of what "Etiquette" really is. Dress code, for example, is not part of it.
The R&A produced a video a few years ago on what they considered to be Etiquette.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
People who ask me to mark my ball when its nowhere near the line of the putt... :ROFLMAO:
I read the first 3 pages, realised there were 68 in total and baled for the good of my health. I now understand why that thread has gained legendary status. Fair play.

Best thing ive read all day. Got gripped and made it 8 pages in before giving up... how did it get to 68...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
People who ask me to mark my ball when its nowhere near the line of the putt... :ROFLMAO:

Best thing ive read all day. Got gripped and made it 8 pages in before giving up... how did it get to 68...
That may be your sole criteria for when a ball should be marked and picked - great - but it’s not mine. I also want to be able to focus on the hole and my line - I don’t need a ball in my field of view providing any distraction.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Left handers don’t count it’s their own fault ;)

sunshine

Visit site
That may be your sole criteria for when a ball should be marked and picked - great - but it’s not mine. I also want to be able to focus on the hole and my line - I don’t need a ball in my field of view providing any distraction.

So if you have a 30 foot putt, and there is another ball on the green 40 feet away from you, 20 feet from the hole, nowhere near your line, nowhere near the hole, you would find it distracting? How fragile is your concentration? :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site

I immediately thought exactly the same as you.:LOL:

It's not just the tee though... what about on the green? Does everyone have to be in the field of vision? What if the player hits his tee shot on the right side of the fairway, does the rest of the group have to stand in the right side rough while he plays his second shot (assuming right handed player)? The mind boggles.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So if you have a 30 foot putt, and there is another ball on the green 40 feet away from you, 20 feet from the hole, nowhere near your line, nowhere near the hole, you would find it distracting? How fragile is your concentration? :LOL:
My concentration is fine - I just might not want it sitting there when I am putting. Your example is in extremis and I may well not be in the slightest bit bothered if it is left there - it very much depends where it is - however it is my prerogative and no-one else’s to make that judgment.

And so...as you are almost certainly going to mark and pick up your ball before you putt in any case - either to clean it or position it ‘just so’ as it best suits you and how you set your ball for a putt - then maybe it’s just as easy and quick to mark and pick it up whatever. And you’ll never have to wait to be asked ??

I‘ll note that in a match yesterday I only had to ask my opponent to mark his ball a couple of times ?. I won my match 4/3 and at the end of the round my opponent congratulated me on my superb putting - long ones especially - works for me ?

Last edited:

BiMGuy

Visit site

How do you cope with the flag, or a bush, or ball marker another player or anything really being in your field of view?

sunshine

Visit site
My concentration is fine - I just might not want it sitting there when I am putting. Your example is in extremis and I may well not be in the slightest bit bothered if it is left there - it very much depends where it is - however it is my prerogative and no-one else’s to make that judgment.

And so...as you are almost certainly going to mark and pick up your ball before you putt in any case - either to clean it or position it ‘just so’ as it best suits you and how you set your ball for a putt - then maybe it’s just as easy and quick to mark and pick it up whatever. And you’ll never have to wait to be asked ??

I‘ll note that in a match yesterday I only had to ask my opponent to mark his ball a couple of times ?. I won my match 4/3 and at the end of the round my opponent congratulated me on my superb putting - long ones especially ?

You are of course right that it is entirely your prerogative and your opponent should mark the ball without question when asked.

Based on the bits I have highlighted, it clearly must be as issue if you find yourself repeatedly asking opponents to mark their ball. I can't remember ever having had to ask someone to mark their ball. If their ball is close to my line any golfer has the awareness to mark it, if they haven't marked it, it's because it's not close to my line!

What do you do when someone uses a bright poker chip ball marker, which is just as big as a ball and probably more of a distraction?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are of course right that it is entirely your prerogative and your opponent should mark the ball without question when asked.

Based on the bits I have highlighted, it clearly must be as issue if you find yourself repeatedly asking opponents to mark their ball. I can't remember ever having had to ask someone to mark their ball. If their ball is close to my line any golfer has the awareness to mark it, if they haven't marked it, it's because it's not close to my line!

What do you do when someone uses a bright poker chip ball marker, which is just as big as a ball and probably more of a distraction?

I like to keep a beer can in my bag as a spare ball marker to be used when playing folks like that...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I deal with it - it’s not a ball.

But on the general principal in respect of etiquette and distractions when another is putting - see second point in the GM article linked to in the opening post of this thread - ‘shadow on the line’. Who could ever be distracted by such a thing - I might ask. But we all know that many are - as the article points out. Do we wait until asked to move?

And for HNSP see point one in the article.

I suspect that the authors of the article - Mssrs Tappin and Ellwood - might fall my side of this particular fence if pushed...and of course they might not.

Last edited: