What age do you stop improving

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Well, I'm a bit older than you Phil and perhaps you won't feel you can identify with a low single figure handicapper.
But I feel that I'm as good a golfer as I have ever been. I could be deluding myself, but much of this game is psycho-synthetic anyway so why not delude myself?

So here is a true story that influenced me.
I knew this chap who had been a teacher at my secondary school who played golf a bit. His handicap would vary between 12 and 14 over the years. He would play a lot during the summer, but only occasionally the rest of the year.
He retired at 65 and the following year after playing a bit more than usual he did his life-time best ever score of 6-over in a comp. Nearly got him to single figures.
That was about 20 years ago and it made me think, "I could do that. Play my best ever when I'm 65 or 66. Why not?"

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I probably levelled out around the age of 55, reached low of 5 and stayed around 6 for about 20 years. I went on the downslope around the age of 65, now up to a H.I. of 12

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In theory I have probably started to plateau BUT I firmly believe if you don't think you can still get better you never will. I have never been a natural golfer and so have to really work hard to keep my swing ticking over and staying as consistent as it can be. Add in the need to work hard on my short game and it is a continually evolving process. I have lessons with the intent to be as good as I can be and will keep working to be as good and get as low as I can as long as I have the ability, health and desire to do so

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Are you back to 18, or under, though yet. If so, that's fantastic; if not then you are still 'just' a returning/recovering golfer.

Jeez Foxy, you are hard work
My historical lowest handicap was 18.4, at the now defunct Aylesbury Park, which was never assessed under WHS, but was an easy course.
My new index is 20 dead at Ellesborough which is rated at 138 whites and 135 yellows giving me 24 shots on both tees.

However on a course rated 103 my handicap would be 18.4. But the fact that I am now playing a harder course keeps it higher.

But this is also a physically different person , than the old Fragger, but I’m still improving ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Jeez Foxy, you are hard work
My historical lowest handicap was 18.4, at the now defunct Aylesbury Park, which was never assessed under WHS, but was an easy course.
My new index is 20 dead at Ellesborough which is rated at 138 whites and 135 yellows giving me 24 shots on both tees.

However on a course rated 103 my handicap would be 18.4. But the fact that I am now playing a harder course keeps it higher.

But this is also a physically different person , than the old Fragger, but I’m still improving ?
Just 'keeping you 'honest''! ;)
That's excellent progress still! Long may it continue!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you don't try to improve the handicap, why enter comps? I am always trying to better my handicap and hopefully be competitive at the same time. I still have a dogmatic belief I can get to (or very close to) single figures even now

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I play with a very competent golfer who’s in his mid 60’s, his handicap is still steadily reducing. He has gone from 6.8 to 6.0 since the beginning of this year… No ailments and is fitter than me in my 40’s ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think about at about 35. All assuming you have made a serious effort and put in some time to the game before that. Clearly if you only play a game a year until you retire, then the answer is probably 70. But I dont think that is what is really being asked. Like most sports, if you have made an effort up to then, strength, flexibility, and coordination, start to decline sometime in mid thirties. After that, its about minimising the rate of decline, which fortunately for us golfers, can be very gradual.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think about at about 35. All assuming you have made a serious effort and put in some time to the game before that. Clearly if you only play a game a year until you retire, then the answer is probably 70. But I dont think that is what is really being asked. Like most sports, if you have made an effort up to then, strength, flexibility, and coordination, start to decline sometime in mid thirties. After that, its about minimising the rate of decline, which fortunately for us golfers, can be very gradual.
Between mid twenties and mid thirties may be the age at which there tends to be a decline in physical attributes associated with good golf but even then a lot of golfers have not maximised those attributes even at the highest level.
Mickelson increased his club head speed in his forties.
Realistically the answer is that it is different for everyone. I hit it less far than I used to but am scoring a bit better in my sixties as a very mediocre golfer.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I class myself as an improving golfer
Age 60, been playing regularly for best part of 15 years, got down to 18 for a week under the old system about 8 years ago.
Since then a number of well documented medical issues put paid to any progress and indeed, put me back to where I started in terms of handicap.

Now fast forward I’ve just won a handicap board comp, had 3 shots knocked off as a result, beat my new handicap this morning, so another cut due. And left loads out there, so much room for better

I know I’m going to reach a plateau, but it is a thing of joy to A) still be able to play at all and B) to still be able to get better

Love this game (mostly)

To those older than myself, when did the decline start to kick in

To those whippersnappers, how long have you got left ?

My friends father played golf all his life and retired in the early 1970's aged 68 with a handicap of 8
Within a year he got down to 3 and a year later he played off 1.
Played single figure into his 80's and was still playing 2/3 rounds a week in his 90's.
Club legend.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I have gotten steadily worse since I was a teenager. Back then I had bladed irons a wooden driver no clear idea how far I hit each club had never heard of custom fitting,no gps and was hitting any ball that I pulled out the bag probably a Top-flite. Yet I was far better and more instinctive player. Only thing that is much better these days is my shoes are a lot more comfortable that my stylo rubber efforts I used to wear.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have gotten steadily worse since I was a teenager. Back then I had bladed irons a wooden driver no clear idea how far I hit each club had never heard of custom fitting,no gps and was hitting any ball that I pulled out the bag probably a Top-flite. Yet I was far better and more instinctive player. Only thing that is much better these days is my shoes are a lot more comfortable that my stylo rubber efforts I used to wear.
Greensneekers.
Half the UK golfing population had a pair of these, they followed on from those horrible sweaty brown rubber Dunlop shoes.
The only saving grace was that both kept your feet dry.
Does anyone play by instinct nowadays, it used to be a very important part of the sport.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Can relate to that. The woods were just that, wood and the irons were blades. I had a week of lessons in the summer holidays to start and then was left to my own devices to work it out for myself. Played with some very good juniors and we would play a minimum of 36 holes in the holidays but if we wanted to hit it high/low or move it we had to work out how to do it ourselves

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Getting steadily better since I breached 60. Mind you it’s taken some lessons and quite a bit of work on practice ground. My first significant club competition win in 8yrs (of any sort) yesterday, following my win in the pre-H4H at Camberley last year, is testament to that work. When I told my coach yesterday his response was…”well let’s get you on another board this year” ?

Next up though I must get my club CH back to SFs. Though will the club look to cut me as a result of my board handicap ko comp win? Maybe they will save me the hard work.?

Last edited: