What a caddy is allowed to do and what not?

double_eagle

Visit site
Hi gents, I'm new here so I don't know if my post is supposed to be in this section or not and I apologize if I'm causing anyone any trouble.

I do however need some urgent advice regarding the question in the subject field. I'm from Belgium and this weekend the 2007 Interclub competitions will be played. My 18-year-old son, having handicap 4, is playing in the top category and asked me to be his caddy, which I gladly accepted. So as you can see I'm preparing myself for the task. javascript:void(0)
:p :p

I know the rules pretty well but there's this true story that keeps popping up in my mind and which I haven't found an answer for. Not until writing to this forum anyway.javascript:void(0)
;) ;)

A few years back during a Junior National Championship Stroke Play the caddy of player A had seen player B breaching a rule, but nobody else had witnessed this. The caddy doesn't confront player B, because he is of the opinion that it is not permissable for a caddy to address this directly with his employer's competitor. He does report what he saw to his boss, i.e. player B, but he is not sure whether what the caddy saw player B do was in fact legal or illegal? So he decides not to say anything to player B either. His caddy keeps on saying he is absolutely sure of his claim, but player A in fact instructs him quite explicitly that he must not say anything to anyone, because he fears that if the caddy were wrong after all the embarrassment would affect his own morale and the quality of his game.

Nothing was said even after completion of the round, so scorecards were signed and submitted with scores standing as they were.

Several weeks later I heard that player A finally agreed to enquire about his caddy's claim and it turned out that what he reported he saw was in fact illegal. I can't recall however if the committee came up with any sanction this long after the competition.

The questions that this story triggers in my head are:
javascript:void(0)
:D
1. Is a caddy allowed or not to directly confront a competitor (in stroke play) or the opponent (in match play) of the player he's caddying for on a rules issue, or should he report the events to his employer who then in turn should do the necessary confrontations?
2. If yes, what are the sanctions (in both stroke and match play) for not doing so, knowing that player B was in breach of a rule.
3. I can understand player A's argument of not wanting to confront player B immediately, particularly if he was not sure that his competitor had in fact done anything illegal at all, but that argument became invalid after the round was completed. At that moment he could have investigated (should have if he would have been sure about player B breaching a rule) at least to find out if the caddy had been right or not.

Am I correct when I say that if this had been a match play however, player A would not have had the option of waiting until completion of the round? In this formula the confrontation by whoever and the ensueing decision would all have to be settled before the start of the next hole.

I would be grateful to see your views on this subject, and would particularly appreciate some clear answers on question 1.

Many thanks in advance!javascript:void(0)
:D :D

Kind regards!

B

birdieman

Long question! Here is my understanding -
1. The caddie can only advise the player so the caddie would need to talk to his player(employer) about any rules infringement from another player or their caddie and that player would need to speak to the other player directly.
2. N/A as answer to Q1 was no.
3.Player should ask the other player about the incident -if there is any uncertainty over the ruling the other player should play 2 balls for that hole and then speak to the committee (match and handicap secretary) for a ruling and score with either the original or second ball accordingly.
4.You are correct that in matchplay the ruling would need to be made there and then, if there was an argument over the ruling play on and again take the issue to the match and handicap secretary after the match whereupon the result would be unchanged if no infringement made or the player who broke the rules DQ'd.
In strokeplay the player can be disqualified up to the point when the club or tournament committee officially closes the event. After that it's too late to change a result.
Any questions like this I have as a club match and handicap secretary, I normally email Scottish Golf Union who are helpful.