Does Rory need to change Caddy

Does Rory need to change caddy

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s down to skill of the golfer but also luck.
Rory and Bryson could have both doubled the last but Bryson got lucky in the waste area as did Rory.
Bryson’s bunker shot was class and was the difference .

For me the waste areas were not as much a punishment as the usual US open rough.
Most times they had a shot to the green with spin, you don’t get that out of US open rough normally.

Don’t think the caddies came into it.
It was just down to complete luck whether you had one of those tufts of wiry grass behind the ball or in front of it, or if you're lucky a few inches to the side of one. Yesterday I watched Peter Finch playing the course on YT and he had a lie where a tuft was directly behind his ball so he couldn't strike it. He pretty much had to aim sideways and try and slice it back.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was just down to complete luck whether you had one of those tufts of wiry grass behind the ball or in front of it, or if you're lucky a few inches to the side of one. Yesterday I watched Peter Finch playing the course on YT and he had a lie where a tuft was directly behind his ball so he couldn't strike it. He pretty much had to aim sideways and try and slice it back.
I hate that .
Your op always gets a decent lie in the rough.
But when you go in it’s a shocker.

In the usual US open rough there all shockers.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It’s down to skill of the golfer but also luck.
Rory and Bryson could have both doubled the last but Bryson got lucky in the waste area as did Rory.
Bryson’s bunker shot was class and was the difference .

For me the waste areas were not as much a punishment as the usual US open rough.
Most times they had a shot to the green with spin, you don’t get that out of US open rough normally.

Don’t think the caddies came into it.
I don’t think Rory got lucky on 18, his ball was up against a big clump of grass.

The only bit of luck BDC got was that he could play his ball on angle towards the bunker.

Neither could make the green. Rory, in theory had the easier of the 3rd shots.

9 times out of 10 I’d of expected both to make 4 with their putts.

Swango1980

Visit site
Adam Scott had the legend in his own mind that is Steve Williams on the bag when he chucked the Open away so it isn't necessarily the caddy. They aren't the ones having to put the ball in the hole so you can argue that what difference would a new caddy bring to McIlroy that he isn't already getting and would a new partnership actually be more of a distraction as each get to know each other
Not sure anyone ever said a player can't make mistakes with a legendary caddy. Tiger Woods didn't win every tournament with Williams on the bag. The player still needs to take the lions share of the responsibility.

That being said, the fact Scott was even in contention to throw the Open away may have been because he had a great caddy assisting him. And, following this, didn't Scott then win his one and only Major, the Masters, with Williams on the bag?

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's a hard NO from me.

Are people seriously making a connection between Rory's streaky putting and Harry's abilities as a caddy? Did Harry line him up?
How many times has Rory had a run of poor putting during a round before last Sunday? And how many times has Rory scambled a par after getting himself in trouble?
He prides himself on his short game as well as his prodigious driving. Wasn't it his short game that brought him to public attention early on - wasn't he doing trick shots on TV?!!

The shorter putts are his "bogeyman" imho. He misses them more often when he's under (self-imposed) pressure. Or maybe its all the more noticeable when he's in contention; maybe he does this often anyway towards the end of a round, even when back in the field. (Someone who follows tour stats like that could tell us. Anyone?)

Rory is a fantastic putter but....!

D

Deleted member 25575

Harry might be able to do as a caddie what nobody else can for Rory! What if what Rory really needs when walking between shots or green to tee is to talk about other stuff, happy memories from school or whatever, take Harry away and that also goes he may be all the worse for it

Swango1980

Visit site
Harry might be able to do as a caddie what nobody else can for Rory! What if what Rory really needs when walking between shots or green to tee is to talk about other stuff, happy memories from school or whatever, take Harry away and that also goes he may be all the worse for it
Maybe. I wonder what Rory talked about with J.P. Fitzgerald when he won his 4 Majors?

D

Deleted member 25575

Maybe. I'm sure we all become much more inclined to talk about happy memories from school at the age of 34, not so much at 24 :D
Absolutely!!
Who knows what’s best for him, only him. I’m sure if he thought the caddie was the issue he, and Harry would both understand.

sunshine

Visit site
Rory is very headstrong so the answer is probably no. What cost him was his own mistakes, nothing from the caddy. He's one of the best drivers on tour so he obviously backed himself to hit a decent shot on the last. The unfortunate luck he had on the par 5 where he was feet from having an easy two put birdie, to ending up in a terrible lie 40 foot off the green also had more to do with things than caddy error.

Being a tour caddy is more about how comfy you are in that persons company as you're spending an awful lot of time together in private jets, hotels/rental houses and obviously on the range and course. I don't think Rory has the personality like Woods to keep it simply business.

The bigger issue is his inabilty to close out big events, we've seen him melt down in Dubai a few times recently and this was a much bigger version of that. I'm convinced he just needs to get one over the line and more will follow but this drought isn't looking good at the moment. Also not sure where his head is at off the course because it's very bizarre to file for a divorce and then suddenly everything is fine a few weeks later.
So what you're saying is the best driver in the world probably felt confident he would hit a good drive. And it doesn't really matter who his caddie was in that situation. This kind of sensible post has no place in this forum.

wjemather

Visit site
It's a hard NO from me.

Are people seriously making a connection between Rory's streaky putting and Harry's abilities as a caddy? Did Harry line him up?
How many times has Rory had a run of poor putting during a round before last Sunday? And how many times has Rory scambled a par after getting himself in trouble?
He prides himself on his short game as well as his prodigious driving. Wasn't it his short game that brought him to public attention early on - wasn't he doing trick shots on TV?!!

The shorter putts are his "bogeyman" imho. He misses them more often when he's under (self-imposed) pressure. Or maybe its all the more noticeable when he's in contention; maybe he does this often anyway towards the end of a round, even when back in the field. (Someone who follows tour stats like that could tell us. Anyone?)

Rory is a fantastic putter but....!
No, they're not. (afaik) No-one has made any suggestion of a connection between his caddy and his putting.

The issue is one of decision making; this week, when it mattered most, the club/shot selection on 15 (the only really big mistake), and club selection on 18 (really only because Nick Faldo made a big deal of it).
And this isn't anything new. McIlroy has a long history of basic "mental errors" that have cost him in big tournaments and majors, that for many players would have be mitigated or avoided altogether by input from their caddie.

Swango1980

Visit site
Absolutely!!
Who knows what’s best for him, only him. I’m sure if he thought the caddie was the issue he, and Harry would both understand.
You make that sound so simple. As if one best mate would easily sack another best mate if it was the good of his profession. That would be a very painful decision to make

And, having Harry around might be great for McIlroy off the course, but maybe not optimum on the course. And, as there is still no guarantee that another caddy will bring success, it may well be considered a risk not worth taking by McIlroy

D

Deleted member 25575

You make that sound so simple. As if one best mate would easily sack another best mate if it was the good of his profession. That would be a very painful decision to make

And, having Harry around might be great for McIlroy off the course, but maybe not optimum on the course. And, as there is still no guarantee that another caddy will bring success, it may well be considered a risk not worth taking by McIlroy
If I was hired by my best friend and in the years I had worked for him I’d made what a million or 3 and my mate had a word and said I think I need to go in a different direction, I’d wish him luck, thank him for the life changing few years and tell him I’d always be there if he wanted a beer.
And equally, if I thought I was holding him back from something even better I’d have a word and offer to step aside.
It’s not like we are talking about you hiring your made John as a builder who requires the money to feed his family

Swango1980

Visit site
If I was hired by my best friend and in the years I had worked for him I’d made what a million or 3 and my mate had a word and said I think I need to go in a different direction, I’d wish him luck, thank him for the life changing few years and tell him I’d always be there if he wanted a beer.
And equally, if I thought I was holding him back from something even better I’d have a word and offer to step aside.
It’s not like we are talking about you hiring your made John as a builder who requires the money to feed his family
Again, you're making a big assumption as to how Harry Diamond lives his personal life. He may well have adapted to his current income, and if that doesn't come through anymore might have to make significant changes to his lifestyle, downsize, etc. He'd still have more money that the rest of us put together probably, but he probably doesn't live in a medium sized semi detached house?

I think his net worth is around £15 million. I could live on that. It would still be disappointing if that income suddenly came to an end though. I'd certainly like to think I'd understand my mates decision, but it doesn't make it any less painful that the professional relationship has come to an end. And, if I employed a mate, I'd feel really bad about terminating that relationship knowing that is would significantly reduce their income.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've changed my view on this, and I've voted yes - as much as anything so he's got someone he can properly talk through decisions on the course. The Caddy can't make or miss the putts, but they can talk him into 8i on 15 and 3w on 18.

I’ve changed my mind to no from when he last changed his caddie. I feel Rory is closer to another Major than at any time for years.

D

Deleted member 29109

Plenty of other Pros and caddys have said that, if Harry and Rory did split, Harry would have a queue at his door...
Exactly. People talk about him as if he’s some random mate carrying a bag round. Harry is an extremely good golfer himself, so it’s not like he has no experience.

Could DJ have won more without his brother on the bag? Didn’t Dan once 3 putt from close range to lose a major?

Swango1980

Visit site
Plenty of other Pros and caddys have said that, if Harry and Rory did split, Harry would have a queue at his door...
100%. If I played on the Challenge Tour, it would be quite the result getting Rory McIlroys ex Caddy :D

I'd love to see the type of player or caddy who would publicly come out and say Harry Diamond is poor, and hindering McIlroys career. That would take some balls.