Does Rory need to change Caddy

Does Rory need to change caddy

• Total voters

wjemather

Visit site
If he wanted to hit driver he did
The point that was being made was that his choice to hit driver was wrong (fwiw, it's a point I don't actually agree with), so what he wants to hit isn't relevant. If it was the wrong club in regulation, it's still the wrong club in the playoff, whether he wants to hit it or not.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think he does, but don't see it happening. They are good mates, and I suspect Rory will want to stay loyal. Only see them splitting if his caddy steps aside.

McIlroy may be his own man. But the US Open seemed to show the weakness in that approach. I think having a discussion with a caddy, even if you hit the club of your choice, can keep you in the present, and stop you mind running away with itself. It can also give you critical second opinion. Would McIlroy have hit it over the green on that Par 3 if he had a top class caddy? I think it is less likely.

But, it is what if. There is no proof he'd be better with a top class caddy, unless he actually does it. But, it still the case he has won 4 Majors, none of them with Harry Diamond. And it isn't like he is a worse golfer over last decade and faded away. He has always been up there with best in world, but in Majors he just looks like he is battling between his ears so much more than the other top players

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we actually have many examples of a caddy taking a club out of a players hands? We often hear the comment thrown out but I'm not sure I've ever seen it. The big fear is that you put massive doubt in a players mind, often at a key moment. If the player feels confident about a shot, leave them be.

As many have already pointed out, this was lost by 2 poor putts. Should Harry have given him a wedge to putt with, taken the putter out of his hands?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have not heard any criticism of Bryson’s caddy letting him hit driver on 18th.
It could have cost him the trophy.

But in the end he got a par Rory didn’t.

Think that's the point though. There was an article linked where brysons caddy will give different views but then it's up to Bryson to decide what's best.

As opposed to Rory's set up

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think that's the point though. There was an article linked where brysons caddy will give different views but then it's up to Bryson to decide what's best.

As opposed to Rory's set up
If he ignores the caddy though, what's the point? Bryson sprayed it everywhere on Sunday off the tee. The caddy may have suggested 5 iron on every tee but Bryson did his own thing. Rory makes his own decisions, it's how he works. Having a caddy question him over his selection is not going to work for him. Rightly or wrongly 🤷‍♀️

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the things that’s being used in the argument for a new caddy, is the club choice on the par 3 when he went over the back. Not sure if anyone picked it up, but Rory was waiting for the wind to die down, it was apparently a fairly strong wind from behind. In the end he had to hit, and I guess he hit the 7i to try and keep it out of the wind, whereas the 8i could’ve got picked up by the wind and completely flown the green!

No doubt they’ll have been discussing it but in the end you go with what you think is the right club. Doesn’t always work out and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The driver is probably his biggest strength, nice little fade off that wasteland is in his locker 99 times out of 100. Assume he felt he needed a birdie to win the tournament, being close would’ve improved the chances of that. Again, hindsight…

Ultimately it was those 2 putts that cost him, you could see his head had gone after the first one (he looked rattled when he had a 3 footer for par on the 17th!). Not a lot any caddy can do there. Personally in that situation, someone you know and love telling you to calm down and breathe, would probably be more valuable than a career caddy. I dunno.

Saying all this, I wouldn’t be surprised if he changed at the end of the season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't see it live but do we know that his caddy didn't tell him to not hit the driver?
I think this is probably the biggest factor. The whole reason Rory got Harry on the bag is that he doesn't want to be told what to do anyway. He'll make his own mind up, and perhaps to that degree it doesn't matter who's on the bag.

I'd still say it's worth a change though. Not to a caddie who's more forceful at telling him what to do as some suggest - as that might be a disaster if he refuses to accept being told what to do. But perhaps a caddie who's really good on the mental side of things to help him not have a breakdown whenever he's in contention for a major. Or maybe he's that mental there's just no helping him!

sjw

Visit site
I simply don't see the issue with the caddy. No-one was complaining when Rory got himself into contention and was a few solid shots from victory. Never entered the conversation during or before the event and shouldn't after
No, but that was before two incorrect club choices

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
I think this is probably the biggest factor. The whole reason Rory got Harry on the bag is that he doesn't want to be told what to do anyway. He'll make his own mind up, and perhaps to that degree it doesn't matter who's on the bag.

I'd still say it's worth a change though. Not to a caddie who's more forceful at telling him what to do as some suggest - as that might be a disaster if he refuses to accept being told what to do. But perhaps a caddie who's really good on the mental side of things to help him not have a breakdown whenever he's in contention for a major. Or maybe he's that mental there's just no helping him!
Do we know for definite that’s why Harry Diamond is his caddie?