What’s the best game for a threeball?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I’m sure you’ve had this in the past but I’ve never really found a good way of playing as a three. Other than Stableford we always settle on a Split Sixes (4-2-0) points system which is OK but there must be something better?

D

Deleted member 15344

Skins or Russian Stableford is the main ones with play when there are three players

NearHull

Visit site
We play ‘in the chair’ (other names are available). Essentially match play one v two. You take the chair by winning a hole outright. You need to be in the chair to win a point by winning abother hole outright. If one of the other players wins a hole outright, they take the chair. Allegiances swop around all game.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We play ‘in the chair’ (other names are available). Essentially match play one v two. You take the chair by winning a hole outright. You need to be in the chair to win a point by winning abother hole outright. If one of the other players wins a hole outright, they take the chair. Allegiances swop around all game.

This for us too.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whenever I have played in the chair, when the person in the chair is knocked out the chair is vacant until someone wins then they are in the chair.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Split sixes.
We play it a lot, and it generally produces an entertaining round of golf.
** edit - just noticed that the op has already dissed it!! Still, if it ain't broke...

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Whenever I have played in the chair, when the person in the chair is knocked out the chair is vacant until someone wins then they are in the chair.

We play "chair" this way too.

Player A wins a hole, they are one up.
Player B wins the next hole, the game is AS
Player C wins the next hole while game AS, he goes 1 up.

We also multiply the stake by how many holes your up at the end. So if after 18 holes a player wins by 3 up with 1 pound per hole. He wins 3 pound of each players. Keeps everyone trying all the way to the end.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
We play wolf:

2 vs 1, if the pair win the hole 1 point each, if the single; 2 points.

Player 1 choses a partner or to go alone on hole 1.
Player 2 " " hole 2.
Player 3 " " hole 3 etc.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Better ball 2v1 match play can sometimes work well if you have say two middle handicap v one low handicap.

Bits, derived from the old thrupenny bit coin can be fun.
Our youthful evening fourballs used to play 3d accumulators [@1964] which can be an evil game.
For the sake of friendship we all decided to abandon one birdie strewn match at the 14th one night after about 10 halved holes and about £2.12/- each on the table.:love:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not just play individual match play against the other 2 players. We use to have match play bets against players that weren't even in the same 3 ball.
We just worked out strokes received and compared scores on the card , after the game.

Or 6 points available at every hole.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I may give this ago (we normally play carousel - 4-2-0, 3-3, 4-1-1,2-2-2 etc), but what happens when the pair win a hole, who decides who becomes the single next?

Do you pick lots/throw the bals up / toss coins for who goes as the single on the 1st hole, also?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
We play wolf:

2 vs 1, if the pair win the hole 1 point each, if the single; 2 points.

Player 1 choses a partner or to go alone on hole 1.
Player 2 " " hole 2.
Player 3 " " hole 3 etc.
This is what we play, call it "The Wolf" when 4 ball, but call it "Cut Throat" when 3 play, as this seems a more apt name for it :)
We chose a partner or go it alone after everyone has hit their tee shots to add a bit of strategy to it

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I may give this ago (we normally play carousel - 4-2-0, 3-3, 4-1-1,2-2-2 etc), but what happens when the pair win a hole, who decides who becomes the single next?

Do you pick lots/throw the bals up / toss coins for who goes as the single on the 1st hole, also?

All sqaure on the first. We play it all the time.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We played a game of "GOLDEN BALLLLLLLLS" last week

Rules are as follows:
GOLDEN BALLLLLLSSS must be said with gusto or not at all - its a real mood lightener and frankly ridiculous but great fun.
Stableford scoring
Each player takes turns using the GOLDEN BALLLLLL, points scored with said ball are worth double! (I advocate using your own golden ball in COVID and not passing around the yellow ball - precautions!)
If the GOLDEN BALLLL is lost -2 points

The GOLDEN BALLLLL is actually a yellow ball..... painting one gold might kill the quality of said balls.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You are in the chair until a single player wins it outright maybe? The game is the double v the chair rather than me and you v however if that makes sense, it doesnt matter who the double or who the chair is as its the "team" that wins rather than who is in it.