What’s your favourite layup distance?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the owner of a desperately iffy chipping game, I have found over the years it suits me better when I can’t get on a green in two on a par four, then rather than try to get as close to the green as I can with a wood or rescue, I prefer to take a 7/8 iron and leave myself 80-120 yards.

What’s your strategy and your preferred layup distance?

Of course a short game lesson might make me see this differently.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18121

105-120.... Anything in the 10-70 yard range isn't a good distance for me.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I used to prefer 130- 150 yards to 50 so sometimes would be hitting mid to short irons off the tee but I have been spending more time on my short game recently so now I’m not really fussed. If it works it works

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Talking to a guy who now works for Cobra, he was telling me how he lost his final of the singles KO. Other finalist put his second shot on the green on a par five with a 50-60 ft putt. He felt he had to go for it aswell and dropped it in a green side bunker. He said with hindsight he should of played his second to 100 yds out and dropped it to within six foot for a birdie putt. I said " what you on about 100yds" he mentioned it is his go to distance. Reckons he could put 99/100 with in 6 ft. 😳
Me I love my 48degree vokey, anything from 50-80 yds. Put one from 82 yds on me watch to within 4" on Thursday. I was buzzing. But the ground has to be firm so I can get it/ the club to skip off the surface. Any damp grass and am taking a dint.

Edit," Dint" is a mining term for digging out ground 😁

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes it's a massive myth that it's better to leave a full 80 to 100 yd shot than get as close as you can.
Still, there is no telling some.
Try telling the pros, they all seem to have a preferred layup distance.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
95y is my full PW which I quite happily hit. 75 for my full SW.

I am really awful in taking something off, so I am more comfortable hitting full shots. But since I go to a top tracer range I am OK with 50 and 40 yard shots in distance, but I leak them far of to the right sometimes.

I can hardly do under 20y out from the rough. It either goes inches only or flies over the green.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Try telling the pros, they all seem to have a preferred layup distance.
The ‘Me and my golf’ guys asked DJ what he would play from 50. He replied that if he would have 50 left that would mean something has gone horribly wrong on the previous shot.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ‘Me and my golf’ guys asked DJ what he would play from 50. He replied that if he would have 50 left that would mean something has gone horribly wrong on the previous shot.
But we’re not tour pros hitting into firm greens on tucked pins.

If as an amateur you’re choosing to lay up to 80yds rather than getting it to 40yds, your 100% costing yourself shots.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Well yeah, if he's 50 short thats some serious under clubbing, nothing to do with layup distance

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
We might think that we’re better from 80yds than 40yds (for example) but I think that’s because of a mentality thing. Hit it to 15-20ft from 80yds we think ‘I’ve hit a solid shot there’.

Hit it to 12-15ft from 40yds you’re probably thinking ‘that was an average shot’

That’s probably true and that it was an average shot, but it’s still 3ft closer than your ‘good’ shot from 80yds

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like: 120-140 - PW to 9 iron range. That would be my favourite.
Don't mind: 100 yards for a full gap wedge, or 50 yards which I have a half gap wedge shot which isn't too bad.

Hate: 65-75 - I just don't have a solid shot in this range, it always feel like guesswork and I can very easily be well short or well long from here.
Don't like: 80-85 - this is probably a full 56° and there's like a 50% chance I thin it. Don't like 110 either because I have to hit like a 90% PW and honestly I have no idea how, I just grip down it by an inch and hope for the best.

Edit: To be clear though I don't try and lay up to any of these distance specifically because I'm just good enough to do so anyway really, so I tend to just hit up there as far as I can comfortably.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So hypothetically your on a 400 yd par four, hit your drive 200-220 you have 180-200 left. Do you play a three wood in the hope you can get it to the green or an 8-7 iron to leave you 80 yds in. Think most folk are gonna smash it with the three wood.