What’s the most you’ve spent....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I love buying new golf stuff but the inner scrooge in me wont allow me to buy anything that's a new release/just out etc or basically over the price of what I think a new club should cost, so I buy new gear that's at least 18 months old at best.

Means my most expensive club will be my Cobra Fly-z driver for about £140 I think it was
(even if i had the cash spare I doubt I could ever spend more than £150 on any single club)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, my irons. Like not only as a set (naturally), but when I break it down, every one of those irons cost 130 €, more than any of my other clubs. All the other clubs I bought either used or when they were on sale and therefore massively reduced in price. The Cobra F8 irons is the fist time I bought current models.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can afford £700.00 on a single club then good luck to you, buy it, enjoy it and I hope it improves your game. £700 might be small change to the buyer so relatively nothing. Would I spend £700.00 on one club, no, as I know the improvement in my game would not be relative to the cost. Would I spend a relative amount on a watch or shoes, of course I would !!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putter is the most expensive club at £140, but the missus bought me that for Christmas so it's not the most I've spent.

I think the most I spent on one club was £68 on a Ping G15 driver. Which I then sold four months later for £55.

My irons cost me £350 (had a £100 voucher though so paid 250 cash), but for six irons that's only £58.33 per club.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...25 years ago and a similar amount for my first ever graphite shafted driver (Wilson Whale) around the same period.

Was that the Killer Whale? Had a graphite face too. Was my first graphite shafted Driver too - 'Firestick' from memory. John Daly wielded one for a while. Mine was pretty cheap though from the Golf Shop in Windlesham that I frequented for a number of years, so a year or so after its initial release.

Just paid £200 for a classic Bettinardi - BB43. Most I've paid for a putter is £250-ish for the Baby Bee I still favour. Most for a Driver, £400 for a Tour R5 with decent, if slightly over-stiff, Accra SC60. Used it for 2 years plus - and shaft for longer - so reasonable value (for Golf!).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was that the Killer Whale? Had a graphite face too. Was my first graphite shafted Driver too - 'Firestick' from memory. John Daly wielded one for a while. Mine was pretty cheap though from the Golf Shop in Windlesham that I frequented for a number of years, so a year or so after its initial release.

QUOTE]

No mine was the original wooden laminated head which was bored out behind the insert to reduce the weight and give a degree of forgiveness. As used by Payne Stewart one season. Funny enough up until a few weeks ago I hade the graphite version at home (came in a bag of mixed clubs I bought) I was going to give it a go for old times sake but never got round to it. Firestick was the name of the shaft

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If your house is bought and paid for and the kids are in work and you have a decent retirement pot then I've got no problem with spending a pile of cash on clubs.

But until then I will be looking at previous years models, second hand stuff and maybe stretching out the odd birthday or christmas present.

No doubt people get pleasure from researching, trying and buying new clubs and far be it from me to criticise people from doing what is pleasureable for them.

However, if you are dropping £400 on a single club, or £1000 on irons, then ultimately you are paying club manufacturers advertising budget for them. There is no real way that these clubs are twice or three times as good as ones from 18 months ago. And obviously if people keep buying the new stuff, club makers will keep making it and packaging it up as the best kit ever, so ultimately you are part of the problem.

Personally, my driver was £149. Taylor Made SLDR which I bought new in 2015 - but club was probably 1st made late 2013. Only purchased as I got a voucher for my 30th birthday.
I'm well aware that technology will help me with newer models and will look at changing this at some point, but am in no rush.

Irons, Taylor Made burner something or other. These were bought new in around 2013. I think they were £249 and replaced an old set of Wilson Rams I'd got 2nd hand in 2011. Again after a birthday when I'd got a few vouchers. Also gave me a spare set of bats for trying to get friends to play with me who didn't have clubs.

Others - putter, wedges, hybrids and 3 wood, nothing more than £100.
3 wood was second hand off e-bay - Cleveland Classic, which I love hitting.

If I was buying new clubs, what I would do is go to a Ping fitter or suitable range pro. Pay him for an hour of his time and ask him to tell me what colour of ping dots I was suited to, and then pick up a set second hand.
Same with a putter, with someone who has a SAM puttlab.

Absolutely stacks of 2nd hand stuff in my local American Golf.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hippo driver some years ago. £100. What a heap of sh one t that was. I vowed never again to waste money on new clubs and so far haven't.

D

Deleted Member 1156

£509 when I was fitted (fitted up?) for my current Titleist 915 driver 😱

D

Deleted member 21258

Think the most spent on clubs, were the X14 irons back when there were released and I think they were £699 or maybe £599, then a putter off here for £2??.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve spent £4000 on a circle t scotty Cameron, and £585 on a PXG 2 iron.
Just bought a M3 driver the other day too 👍👍

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hippo driver some years ago. £100. What a heap of sh one t that was. I vowed never again to waste money on new clubs and so far haven't.
Another Driver I had (I think mine was the 'Plus') - along with the 'matching' 3 and 5 woods. Howson did make some reasonable kit, but were never sufficiently funded to compete with the big names!

I found it decent enough, but eventually it/they ended up in FiL's bag - to good effect. I remember getting stuffed by him one time at his place. He'd (seriously) slice his drive about 160, same with the 3W about 130, slice the 5W onto the green and 1-putt!

D

Deleted member 18121

Most on a single club is £180 - I always try and find a bargain version of the club I want and in this case it was my Nike Vapor Flex driver.