Wgc matchplay

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the best weeks of the golfing calendar, a tournament and format I always enjoy. Just seen the draw and one group stands head and shoulders above:

Day
Mickelson
Stenson
Furyk

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always enjoy watching this event and nice to see some matchplay on the calendar. Does look a tasty group. Furyk in a decent run of form and you never quite know what Leftie will bring on any given day

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some intriguing possible match-ups should the groups go as expected. Rory and Tiger will meet in the first knockout round if they get through their groups. Fleetwood and Molinari could meet in the Semis if they both get through their relevant matches. Left-side of the draw is also much tougher than the right-side if the favourites of each group go through. On the left side we could have Rory, DJ, Tiger, JT, Sergio, Day, Rahm and Schauffele. Brutal.

Love this tournament though, and for me, a Matchplay event like this is closer to being a 5th Major than anything else. Something a bit different, and we get 5 days of live golf instead of 4, what's not to like.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some intriguing possible match-ups should the groups go as expected. Rory and Tiger will meet in the first knockout round if they get through their groups. Fleetwood and Molinari could meet in the Semis if they both get through their relevant matches. Left-side of the draw is also much tougher than the right-side if the favourites of each group go through. On the left side we could have Rory, DJ, Tiger, JT, Sergio, Day, Rahm and Schauffele. Brutal.

Love this tournament though, and for me, a Matchplay event like this is closer to being a 5th Major than anything else. Something a bit different, and we get 5 days of live golf instead of 4, what's not to like.

The amount of breaks from coverage is annoying and that’s what’s not to like, it felt like 60-40 in favor of golf whilst watching at the weekend, I stream the sport so can’t record and fast forward the ads.

Great format though and will probably watch some of it

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It's no Ryder Cup but it's a fun format, unfortunately the format means alot is decided after 2 matches making the 3rd in the groups fairly pointless. Still, think Finau / Poulter & Molinari / Simpson are good matchups assuming it will count for something; actually think Fitzpatrick will get out of McIlroys group.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Starts today and some good matches to start us off:

Fleetwood vs An
DeChambeau vs Knox
Poulter vs Kisner
Spieth vs Horschel
Day vs Furyk
Mickelson vs Stenson
Bradley vs Wallace
Woods vs Wise
McIlroy vs List
Sergio vs Lowry
Matsuyama vs Grace

Some very nice matches in there. Mickelson-Stenson, Bradley-Wallace and Sergio-Lowry my personal picks as matches of the day, should all be very competitive feisty fixtures. Bradley vs Wallace should be fantastic.

Visit site
Hi guys

A new member here

Love the Matchplay format, probably my favourite form of golf.

Much prefer this format where all golfers get at least 3 games. And although we no longer have the number one player playing the number 64 in the draw, then the 32nd (should they get through) although it does come into play later in the competition. I would much prefer if they had it like the tennis championships. Where the top 2 players could play any one of the seed 3 or 4. and the top four could play any of the seeds from 5 to 8.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Know we shouldn't look on it this way, but can't help zooming in on the individual European v USA matches to see took bragging rights.

Good opener for Tom.

D

Deleted member 18588

You, your opponent and the course, purest form of the game.Just wish it was still at Wentworth .......

Completely different competition to the one that used to be held at Wentworth.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always think the course is a bit silly.

Seems too many shots just totally dictated by luck and not skill. Good shots not rewarded, bad shots not always punished.

With the greens with such slopes and dried out balls were taking really random checks and skids.

You can say you make your own luck, but 18 hole matchplay, a bad break or 2 and suddenly you have lost the match!

Wolf

Visit site
I love matchplay events, the old Volvo world matchplay was awesome.

This event again was brilliant especially when it was held at the Dove Mountain course in Arizona, it had risk reward holes, a good mix of par 4s and 5s. It was great entertainment. However since switching to Austin Country club, I think it's lost a lot as mentioned above the skill element is being lost to luck. Take Russell Knox earlier hit a good shot into the green, landed on the putting surface but bounced, then ran through the green and somehow went over a raised sleeper into the water. He got punished for playing a got attacking matchplay shot.

Hope it gets better as I love the format but the course for me is letting it down.

Hackers76

Visit site
11 out of 12 wins for the European Ryder Cup team on day 1 of the match play. Really is a great run for this side of the pond the last few weeks.