West Country Golf - Which Club?

JayB

Visit site
Players Club (can play very long at times & a bit of a boggy slog in winter)

The Kendleshire Golf Club (fantastic course, one of the best in the area, great facilities, but very corporate & busy)

Thornbury Golf Centre (nice wide open course, not a members club, a bit soulless, no temps in winter.

Cotswold Edge Golf Club (an acquired taste! Quirky course, back 9 gets very wet in winter & quite often only the front 9 is open, membership is very reasonable though.

Filton Golf Club (lovely little course, somewhat spoilt by the local scroats & dog walkers, comps few & far between, organisation isn't their strong point!

The Bristol Golf Club (recently acquired by a golf charity, used to be Crown Golf, not a members club, course is enjoyable, nice clubhouse, back 9 gets very wet in winter.

Lansdown Golf Club (boring course, not nice to play.

Chippenham Golf Club (nice course, lovely clubhouse & facilities, I enjoy playing here.

Saltford Golf Club (quality club, nice course apart from the crossover valley on the back 9, lovely clubhouse, well run & organised, superb facilities.

Bath Golf Club (nice mature course, a well run & organised club.

Kingsdown Golf Club (a quirky & very enjoyable course, would be my pick for year round golf, drains superbly well.
nice clubhouse.
a well run members club.

you haven't mentioned Chipping Sodbury Golf Club.
a superbly run club in north Bristol.
loads of comps to play in.
great social scene (pre Covid)
A lovely course, challenging but fair.
downside's are practice facilities could be better & they are too fond of temps in winter.

Thanks for the info Doodle, I didn't mention Chipping Sodbury as I was a member up until 12 months ago and don't fancy returning. You're correct about the course and social side.

Unless things have changed since Covid-19 they were due to start a landfill project this month, while 18 holes are always available they would be shortening and moving holes around to accommodate the project. This is supposed to take 4 years to complete.

Shame...as I said, only been there in summer.
I'd forgotten about Chipping Sodbury... but I think that's wet in winter. No recent experience.

Anyone been to Stinchcombe Hill recently? How far would that be?

Similarly Bristol & Clifton?

Funny you mentioned Stinchcombe Hill, I just noticed a sign post on my way home from work today, I'm now looking at their website and working out travel distances.

Drainage at Bristol is appalling but they are trying to improve it - or were before the takeover, not sure how much money the new people are investing

Apparently they are digging lots of extra drainage ditches at the moment, be keen to see how it works out. I was due to play The Bristol last winter as a single, when I arrived and saw how much standing water was in and around the first hole and entrance I decided not to bother.

Be very interested to hear how the improvements and investment helps

Last edited: