Were You a Member of Golf Club as a Child

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Were You a Member of a Club as a Child

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 16999

Simple poll, it’s not did you play Golf or try it, but were you an actual member?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, but not until I was about 12/13, school holidays consisted of Mum dropping me at the club on the way to work, using Dad’s bar card for food & drink, and then Mum picking me on the way home from work - great days!

DCB

Visit site
Had to put no as the local club, attached to a local muni, had a waiting list even for junior membership in those days :-(

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes
I remember playing 9 holes after school, afterwards using the pay phone to get a lift home. Then going on the chipping green whilst we waited, challenging each other to the most ridiculous nearest the pin competitions(even when it got dark)😀

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I was just thinking about this reading the Scottish decline topic, golf isn't an elite man's sport at grass routes, it's an old man's game. Most folk I know who play golf ate all ex football players. I grew up in a golfing family but I was never a member til I was in my early 20s, even then my priority was playing futba.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nope, I played a tiny bit when I was younger at the local par 3 course. Maybe twice a year max.

Didn't start playing properly until after uni when i was about 22/23 and then joined my first club when I was 23/24.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, early to mid 30's before I even picked up a golf club (I do understand the difference in the question)

I suspect you could see a golfer swing a club and mark who played as a child and who came to the game later on.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nay... was a posh mans game in Bishop in the 60's. Though I played tennis at a very good local-rec Club where the best players were beginning to get golf invites as guests in the late 60's.
When 30 years later, I eventually visited Bishop GC many were members there..... & the Rec. tennis Club was pretty much defunct..... but then again, tennis is still, on the whole, very much an elitist sport.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes. Not allowed in the clubhouse, even into the changing rooms. Had to change my shoes in the corner of the green keepers shed. If a junior wanted a sandwich or a drink they knocked on the door of the steward's flat. His wife would do a sandwich and a glass of pop. Not allowed out in Saturday and Sunday comps. Things have changed massively.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Joined my club at the age of 11. Played every available minute I had until I was 18 and then gave up the game completely. Only took it up again 30 years later.