Were You a Member of Golf Club as a Child

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Were You a Member of a Club as a Child

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, I never swung a club until age 14 I think when I had a group lesson, and thereafter just played pay & plays with my mum and dad.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope - current club was the first club I joined when I stopped playing hockey and cricket and took up golf about 9 years ago now

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes. Not allowed in the clubhouse, even into the changing rooms. Had to change my shoes in the corner of the green keepers shed. If a junior wanted a sandwich or a drink they knocked on the door of the steward's flat. His wife would do a sandwich and a glass of pop. Not allowed out in Saturday and Sunday comps. Things have changed massively.
Similar. Joined Wimbledon Common when I was 10. We could only sit in the smoky snooker room and would normally get chased out by members wanting to play in silence or we had to sit in the locker room. Couldn't use any of the clubhouse, had to go to the kitchen door for a drink and wait until the steward had served the members. At the time we didn't think it a problem as we were there every day in the holidays and usually played 36 a day or a minimum of 18 and then hours on the putting green. We couldn't play competitions or play weekends until after 2.00. Glad things have moved at most clubs these days. I wonder if any are still living in the dark ages though

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes. Not allowed in the clubhouse, even into the changing rooms. Had to change my shoes in the corner of the green keepers shed. If a junior wanted a sandwich or a drink they knocked on the door of the steward's flat. His wife would do a sandwich and a glass of pop. Not allowed out in Saturday and Sunday comps. Things have changed massively.
Ahhh... Hobbit free zones in those days, eh 🙄

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only childhood experience of golf was pitch and putt at the seaside and one trip around a mates dad's course when I was 8or 9-couldnt tell you where..
Didn't begin to play until I was 30.
Not sure if I'd have wanted to be a junior member back then - not that we'd have had the money anyway..

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes. Used to go to Whickham with my Dad and climb trees while he played and I would hit the occasional shot. Gradually the tree climbing declined and the game got a hold when I was about 7 or 8.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't think I had even heard about golf until I was 18 or 19.

Definitely seen as an "old farts" game in those days (mid 60's).

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Was that at a time of rationing ?:whistle:

D

Deleted member 21258

Nope, did not move in the right kind of circles, football and hockey only for me when I was young.