Were You a Member of Golf Club as a Child

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Were You a Member of a Club as a Child

• Total voters

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could be onto something there in that it is potentially cyclical. When I was a junior we had a really strong Junior section we won our inter club league 3 years straight, had an absolute dearth of Cat 1 golfers, out junior team was a 6 man/woman team but meant we had roughly 15 Cat 1 players for those 6 slots. Several went on to become PGA club pro's around Kent and others drifted out of the game and some I belive are still at the club. But after us there was a lull in juniors of similar standard but now from what my dad tells me it's coming full circle again however they do lose a lot more talented juniors to bigger clubs
We lose a few to the Southport clubs. S&A and Hillside especially. We can't compete with the lure of 12 month links golf on Top 100 courses I suppose :cool:

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It happens in all sports. I ran a junior cricket section at a local club and exams stopped kids from playing at 16. Then you lost a lot of what was left to university. You could only hope that the few that stayed were the good ones. Sometimes they were and sometime they were not.

My sons came back to cricket after university and we all play together in the same team now.

The eldest played golf as a junior from approx 10 years old but stopped at 14. During university, he started again, as others went to the range and started a society. After university he got a job at a golf club and even though he left there a couple of years ago, he is still playing.

I think there are many that leave golf but at least they have started and can come back. They are less likely to play at all if they are not given the chance and get the bug early on in their life.