Wedges - new budget vs used premium

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like to experiment with new clubs every now and again, recently bought a couple of second hand drivers, tried them out and sold the one I didn’t like. Did the same with fairway woods.

I’m now looking at wedges. I bought a second hand 58 degree SM6 recent, which I like using when I need to get some height. However, I’ve been reading that wedge grooves start wearing out and that it’s best to buy new. I can’t warrant spending that much and so have been contemplating a budget brand, such as Ben sayers, which come in at £30-£40. I’m after a 50 & 54 degree.

What’s your view on budget wedges? Good enough to do the job? Is a new budget wedge better and give more spin than a worn premium wedge?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The obvious answer is that it depends on how worn the wedges are....
It also depends on how good the grooves are on the budget wedge.
If you work on the principle of "You get what you pay for" a budget wedge could have excess plating in the grooves making them smoother and less effective.
The worn wedge will probably have had better grooves to start with and even when worn could be better than the budget grooves.
You also have the bounces and grinds to think about.
The worn "premium " wedge will be available 2nd hand in most lofts, grinds and bounces.
The new budget one may have a limited choice.
As you've done, seek out fairly new wedges from a year or two back, like the SM6 or MD3
You may pay a bit more than the budget one but the grooves will still be pretty good.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with Imurg... it depends.

If you have a bit of club speed and are really trying to spin or zip the ball with a great strike, you'll want newer / sharper grooves.

If you're a bit of a plodder and just want to add a bit of height, it won't make much difference.

But even then, you'd need to be practising / playing a fair bit to really wear grooves out to a level that most amateurs would notice a big drop off.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The oldest club in my bag is a 60 degree Swilkin lob wedge. I paid £15 for it more than 15 years ago.
A few years back I thought perhaps it should be replaced and tried out a £130 Cleveland (the type with those additional "micro grooves").
Result: no difference.
Conclusion: it's the operator rather than the equipment that matters.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I change my wedges nearly as soon as they start to show too much groove wear. To me wedges are very much about really good greenside spin and a new wedge will generally give more of this that a part worn second hand one.

My current 52 wedge Bay Hill cost me £3
My previous one also cost £3 also probably also Bay Hill but there was no name on it
Bought as part of bargain box of 7 brand new wedges on ebay
My 52 Vokey only ever had a short outing on the course because I preferred the Bay Hill ones.
I have had Benross, Progen and MD golf all have all been good. The one that was in the bag the longest was a Petron TPX (actually had a second after wearing out the first).
My current 56 is a Makser.

A good wedge is a good wedge and I quickly weed out the not so good ones.

I also currently have in use Cleveland RTX wedges but really cannot see any real difference with these and other cheaper brands I use.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem with new/nearly new grooves is that the ball does exactly what its supposed to and will check up and spin. Great if you are highly skilled and practice the short game a lot but for the majority of weekend golfers it adds an element of inpredictability. As wedges get older and the grooves lose their sharpness, they'll still spin to a degree (also dependant on the ball being used) but will also run out more which I've found easier to judge which is why I have the old Ping gorge wedges in the bag and haven't upgraded

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I had a similar situation when I started

Bought most things used, but bought a new putter and wedges. Although I added the wedges one at a time rather than buying a set.

I've had a Benross Tribe MDR 52, a Wilson Deep Red Maxx 56, and a Benross Rev 60.

The Benross were both great for what I wanted at the time and are still in the bag. They felt decent, without the price tag (Benross don't pay pros to use their gear so are usually cheaper). The Wilson did the job as a sand wedge, but I'll want to replace that now, whereas I'm still happy with the Benross wedges and don't feel the need to upgrade.

So basically what I'm getting at is in my experience, I found quite a bit of difference between similarly priced lower cost options. So probably best to go and look in person before buying in my opinion