Wedges again

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my PW runs at 44 degree, only really want to carry 2 other wedges, is 8 degrees gap to much? Bear in mind I'll not be hitting full shots with them, was thinking 52/58 or maybe 50/56, or even 52/60.
Ignore the sig it's all change.
Thoughts

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Don't dismiss hitting full wedge shots...
The other needing I was behind trees with 75 yards to go, greens firm and not much room to stop the ball. No way underneath the trees - hit a full 58° and put it on the green, no way I'd have got there any other way...
If you really only want two then 50/56 would be as even a spread as you'll get

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i hit full shots with all mine.

PW is 46, 50 56SW

PW is full shots 120 carry -130

50 is full shots 100-110 and chips and pitches as its low bounce.

SW is out of bunkers shots and chips i want to carry something. but mostly getting back in play after I've driven the ball in the rough from the tee;(

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
Personally I think 8 degree gap is too much. In your situation I would go for 50 and 56 degree.

Generally I believe we can get away with having a 56 deg as most lofted club, especially if you are comfortable opening the face up a bit for some of the greenside shots.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
So my PW runs at 44 degree, only really want to carry 2 other wedges, is 8 degrees gap to much? Bear in mind I'll not be hitting full shots with them, was thinking 52/58 or maybe 50/56, or even 52/60.
Thoughts

My PW is 46* and I have 50-54-58
But, I could easily drop the 54 if I wanted a 2 wedge set-up. I wouldn't want to drop the 50 or 58.
If one wedge only I'd only have a 56 like the old days.

It will largely depend on
(a) your ability to control distance with a club
(b) the type of shots inside 60 yards and best club to suite
(c) your short game preferences
(d) shots your type of course (links/parkland... firm/soft conditions) you play - on your course(s).

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
My mizuno PW is 46° so I carry 50°, 56° & 60°

I could easily loose the 60°. Practice laying the face open on the 56° (that's what I do) and you have 2 clubs in 1.

Last time I used the 60° was from the rough on the side of the green to a pin that was only about 6 foot on and TBH I could have done the exact same shot with the 56° with an open face. The open face is great as youll get loads of extra bounce too - just a bit tricky if you have a very tight lie

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am speaking as someone who's never owned specific wedges (my iron set has a PW & SW and that's all I use), but I'd say go for 50 and 56 as well. I will most likely be told I'm wrong, but a lob wedge seems like the least necessary one - almost a bit gimmicky - when you can just chip on with the SW (56 in your case). So if you go 44 - 50 - 56 that's 6 degrees between each which seems sensible. Also means one day in the future you could add a 60° if you decided you wanted one - without having to change the set up of the others you already have.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thoughts

Why would you want so few options at the scoring end of your bag? How far do you carry your PW?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can never have too many wedges

I have 4 wedges that I carry

46 50 54 and 58

Nice 4 degree between each

I use 46 for full shots mainly

The 50 I use for most others

54 for most high shots unless I need an exact yardage then the 58 comes out

Was 60 yards away out of rough yesterday didn't wnna take a half swing so just swung a full 58 at it and landed on the green

Played a nice little chip that almost went in aswell

Don't have to use all them but options to have are important

jhills89

Medal Winner
Visit site
4 wedges dor me as well 48, 52, 56, 59

So important when your 150 yards in to try and get it close. rather hit a full wedge than a half wedge

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I also hit full shots with mine.

I also have a shot into the wind where I will club up a wedge and de-loft it and hit it hard. It carries pretty much the same as the wedge below but comes in lower and Stops pretty quickly.

Half shots are fine if you have the room to land them. Quiet often that room isn't there if you are trying to get within a one putt range.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i'm a great believer that the extra wedges have been created by marketing, I played today and took the wedge from the set (54) and a 56 out, didn't really need a gap wedge tbh just gripped a little down on the pw, but the 54 from the set doesnt lend itself to being opened up so maybe a touch more loft required. Think I'll go down the 50/56 route both more bladed types as well as had a bit more control over it with chipping. PW 100-110 flat out.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I am speaking as someone who's never owned specific wedges (my iron set has a PW & SW and that's all I use), but I'd say go for 50 and 56 as well. I will most likely be told I'm wrong, but a lob wedge seems like the least necessary one - almost a bit gimmicky - when you can just chip on with the SW (56 in your case). So if you go 44 - 50 - 56 that's 6 degrees between each which seems sensible. Also means one day in the future you could add a 60° if you decided you wanted one - without having to change the set up of the others you already have.

Having extensively actually played and tried 2, 3 and 4 wedge systems over a number of years...
I would still suggest, if you must have only 2 wedges, that you try the 50 & 58 first.
But, each to their own.

Half swings and such with a 50* will give you everything you need from >60 yards
And it'll give you the low runner.

Full and shorter swings with 58* will cover everything under 60 yards and give you loft and bounce for all the types of short game shots you need around the green. Yes, you can do it with 56* but I'll quote "LOFT IS YOUR FRIEND, USE IT"

You can open a 58* to work like a +60* LW if you have the right bounce on it.
You can also shut it down to work like a -56* SW if you need lower flight or little run.

But opening a 56* to >60* tends to raise the leading edge unless you have very little grind on heel of the sole.
And unless you are really quick/confident through the ball and exceptionally good with your hands you will lose confidence quickly after necking a couple or tricky lies.

My comment, for what it's worth is that the 58* will give you the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i'm a great believer that the extra wedges have been created by marketing, I played today and took the wedge from the set (54) and a 56 out, didn't really need a gap wedge tbh just gripped a little down on the pw, but the 54 from the set doesnt lend itself to being opened up so maybe a touch more loft required. Think I'll go down the 50/56 route both more bladed types as well as had a bit more control over it with chipping. PW 100-110 flat out.

Only wanting 2 more wedges makes far more sense on this, personally would still choose to have the extra wedge but its partly because thats where im weak!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another here who thinks 8 degrees is too much and so 50/56 would be better. Nothing wrong hitting full shots with wedges if the distance requires it. The thing with wedges is learning how to play different shots with them and what happens when you open/close the face and move ball positions. Understand what you can and can't do and it'll give you plenty of options from 100 yards and in