Wedge gaps.

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Dear all,
I am currently using callaway x22s which finish at my pw and am looking to replace my mix and match very old and tired wedges. The pw is a 45 degree, and I was thinking of a 50 deg and 56 deg wedge setup to finish off. Would this be a good range for a high handicapper such as myself?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a personal preference thing combined with versatility.

I go 47, 52, 56. as I think 4 or 5 is a decent gap.

The important thing is I know the distances for full. 3/4 and half shots with all 3. That pretty much covers all distances.

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys. I have been having lessons and we are just moving onto the short game. My lesson last week was on putting but wedge play will be coming soon so it'll be nice to get some new wedgies for that.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you've got 45PW, then 50 and 56 sounds good, why not.

Three stock shots with 3 wedges = 9 distances. Works for me - another triple birdie round today with all 3 coming on non-full shots.

(well, one was an easy 9i, actually)

:)

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Yes.
My advice would also be to have a lesson on wedge play and discover the huge range of shots you can play with them, then practice.
You never know, you might enjoy it :)

I think a beginner should start with as few clubs as possible learn to play different shots with each club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have three, PW at 46 degrees, 52 and 58 so a nice spread of loft. I like to think I'm half decent these days and can play a number of shots and you know what I love playing around with them, trying to get distances pin pointed and playing different shots with the ball forward and back, opening the face etc. It's one area I've had very little tuition with in the last few seasons and something I've worked on for myself. It's great!

If I was the OP, I'd get a set of wedges I was comfy with. There are many options and different looks and weights. Once you're happy, I'd suggest a lesson to really get the fundamentals sorted and then spend as much time as you can from 100 yards and in working on your wedge play. It will pay off in the longer term

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
I've just checked my current gaps, the sandwedge is a 52* and the lob is a 60*, so I think i can bring those gaps a little closer together. I will definitely take on board the fact of not overloading on wedges, too many cooks and all that, besides that, I haven't felt too disadvantaged using only two wedges up until now.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
my pw is also 45, I was custom fitted and came out at 51 and 57 degree. I try and lay up now to 100-110yds as my 51 is so reliable I love pulling it out. Practising with both around the green aswell, 57 for the majority or 51 if I want it to run out a bit more.

Chipping should be enjoyed rather than dreaded imho. Its where we can get a little creative :)
(then I top it or duff it)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
funny how they are all 6 degree apart though gareth, maybe theres something in that ;)

I didn't see him mention the actual distances though ... Personally the gap between my PW and 50 is very different compared to the other gaps I have between other wedges, and yet the gaps in degrees are the same.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perosnally I gapped my wedges based on distance and not loft.

I have a 52° GW alongside a 58° SW.

My PW is 46°.

That is such a good comment. My PW is lofted up from 46 to 48 and my others are 52 and 56 (I own a 60).

These are the clubs that make many of my birdies (the few of them) and the 3 distances being even (but also quite close as well) is well worth it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I didn't see him mention the actual distances though ... Personally the gap between my PW and 50 is very different compared to the other gaps I have between other wedges, and yet the gaps in degrees are the same.

During my fitting, my Av' distances were:

PW/46° = 116 Yards
GW/52° = 102 Yards
SW/58° = 84 yards

So, give or take 16 yards between clubs.

When I was fitted, I hit about 15-20 balls with my PW to get an average carry for that club.

The fitter then asked what was the most lofted wedge I wanted to carry (58°). Hit 15-20 balls with that club to get an Av' carry (84 yards).

Then worked down the loft range from there to find a loft that would fill the gap between the two. 54° wasn't a million miles off, but 52° was better.

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks again for the replies, its given me some clarity that I should be focused on distance rather than degrees. I hit my PW around 100-110 yrds consistantly on a full swing, maybe slightly more on odd ocassions. My cheepo dunlop lob, which I have only started using again recently (scares me more than the driver"!) reaches 25yrds again with a fullish swing, not too sure about the SW as I tend to leave that for bunker play, used very rarely, if ever, on the fairway. I guess that is part of the mindset I need to change with regards to clubs..... I think this calls for a few practice sessions at the AG/Driving range on the way home from work!

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks again for the replies, its given me some clarity that I should be focused on distance rather than degrees. I hit my PW around 100-110 yrds consistantly on a full swing, maybe slightly more on odd ocassions. My cheepo dunlop lob, which I have only started using again recently (scares me more than the driver"!) reaches 25yrds again with a fullish swing, not too sure about the SW as I tend to leave that for bunker play, used very rarely, if ever, on the fairway. I guess that is part of the mindset I need to change with regards to clubs..... I think this calls for a few practice sessions at the AG/Driving range on the way home from work!

Thing is with wedges, like putters, they are highly personal.

Some prefer a rounded leading edge, others prefer a straighter leading edge. Some wedges need higher bounce, some need less bounce (depending on your swing) then there's things like lie adjustments based , again on your swing.

It all depends how far you want to look into it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
T My cheepo dunlop lob, which I have only started using again recently (scares me more than the driver"!) reaches 25yrds again with a fullish swing, not too sure about the SW as I tend to leave that for bunker play, used very rarely, if ever, on the fairway.

I would avoid using the LW, especially if it just goes straight up in the air and 25 yards. (That's not right. :) ..)

Learn to use your SW, it's invaluable. Don't be scared of the bounce....