Wedge Fitting - Golf Principles

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I took my self back to Golf Principles today for a wedge fitting for my Christmas gift to myself. It's a really comfortable situation for me now as this is my third fitting and fourth visit.

Before we got started I asked for a quick play with the Miura Passing Point iron. I measured it up against my Mizuno MP 53 and it's a very similar size head. Wow, what a bit of kit. That may well be chapter four...

Back to wedges. Jason asked me what I fancied and I remarked that I fancied Miura but asked what else was at that quality point. Out came Vega, Parsons Extream, a nice looking forged Vokey and then all the OEM stuff. Perhaps my mind was made up before I arrived but nothing had the kerb appeal of the Miura. So with no desission needed at this point it was shaft time.

I watched a couple of videos of Jason's before the fitting, I had noted that Jason has had more success fitting wedges with non counterbalanced shaft. So shafts where there is a bit more weight closer to the head. I am a long time Project X original user and that is a counterbalanced shaft, so weight in the butt. We talked on that point for a while and then the (now) usual flurry of clubs being handed to me.

Of the things I can remember: KBS 610 (new wedge shaft from KBS based on the Tour V). A very strong but not boardy shaft. I felt I could do a lot with it but basically no feel.

A 120 gram graphite shaft for kicks and giggles. It felt like I never hit the ball. Very,ultra smooth but no feel of release.

Nippon Modus 3 105 wedge. Very nice, lots af feel, a little light.

Dynamic Gold Tour S400. No opinion, just a shaft.

Dynamic Gold S300. I already have it in my wedges, we know what it is.

And so on and so on. While I was playing and switching and chatting, Jason was doing his thing, round and round the studio. Asking questions, remarking on shots he's not even seeing, passing product, he is having a club built up, glued and gripped.

I have worked out now after a few fitting that he is processing a huge amount of info ready to reveal what he's been processing.

Here it is, Miura Y Grind with a Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge shaft. Brilliant! Sex on a stick, looks, sound/feeeeel and performance.

We had worked out that the two shafts for me we either the KBS 610 or the Modus 125. Both very interesting but the feel of the Modus was better.

Last thing we did was go 1*flat and it seemed to either by confidence, setup or mechanics, make a large difference and the draw just became an arrow.

So: Miura Y grind 49* 07 bounce bent to 50* 08 bounce. Miura K grind 56* 12 bounce bent to 55* 11 bounce (this is for sand, wet lies, mud) and a Miura Y grind 60* 07 bounce. All 1* flat with the Modus 125 wedge shaft.

While I am a digger, I generally am more confident with less bounce and make better shots. Jason did suggest another 60* K grind (high bounce) for the winter... Another day perhaps.

I can not wait for the UPS man late next working week!

Last edited:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good, interesting write up and clubs look lovely.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your handicap ?

I am not sure I would be able to tell all that information at a fitting, and were you ready to change wedges anyway.?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha! Beat me to it!

Did you not have a bash with the PxG stuff? Like the look of their gear

I did, it's awesome. I've tried the driver, hybrid and wedges now. The PXG wedge was the best thing of theirs I have tried and was right there with the Miura but... A Lot of money and.. No bounce options? You get the bounce they give you. I don't know for sure but at £200 + for the head, I would like options. Pretty at address and soft though.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Those Srixon Cabrera gloves just last forever, so they get grubby but are still full of life. And thanks, they are pretty! :D

Agree, decent gloves but that looks past the tipping point!

When you going back for the irons, you know you will.

:whoo:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good, interesting write up and clubs look lovely.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your handicap ?

I am not sure I would be able to tell all that information at a fitting, and were you ready to change wedges anyway.?

My official handicap is 12.6 but although active it's a little old. It's looked more like 8 or 9 the last few months.

My wedges were fine though not fitted for me. Just being a tart really.

Agree, decent gloves but that looks past the tipping point!

When you going back for the irons, you know you will.

:whoo:

Summer time. What I have in the bag right now is very handy in the current course conditions.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Decent write up again Alex and the obsession with customer fitting continues!

I would love to be able to spend as much as you can on your golf clubs! But as long as your having fun doing it all power to you brother!

:thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a vokey 60 k and it is mighty effective during the winter.

Will be getting dropped again this summer as it's only useful as a winter wedge.

I'm currently lusting over a vokey j grind with a similar sole but only 6 degrees of bounce. Just a bit on the expensive side for a wedge. Hoping it's available in the new sm6 range.

Loving those new wedges of yours. Money well spent.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My wedges were fine though not fitted for me. Just being a tart really.
As long as you can admit that, then all's good! It's when you believe it's the equipment that's holding you back that you really need to take a step back and give yourself a talking to!

Enjoy the 'pastime within the pastime'!

And an ideal time too - Ho, Ho, Ho! :rofl:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as you can admit that, then all's good! It's when you believe it's the equipment that's holding you back that you really need to take a step back and give yourself a talking to!

Enjoy the 'pastime within the pastime'!

And an ideal time too - Ho, Ho, Ho! :rofl:

I'm playing well, I'm full of confidence and am not letting the equipment take credit for that! Hehe.

Na, it is what it is, it can't harm, if it's a placebo then I'm not going to look much beyond that, it's fun and interesting to me. This fitting, a little more than the others was very feel focused. A wedge goes it's distance dictated by its loft hu. Ok there is launch, spin and land angle but I'm not sure many are that interested.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Very nice write up Al.

I know you've been hankering after some Miura for a while.

Something I'm looking into at the minute is my wedge line up.

Curious to hear your thoughts on shaft choice after your fitting.

Im considering DG Spinner in my next set but keep hearing good things about the Nippon varint.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very nice write up Al.

I know you've been hankering after some Miura for a while.

Something I'm looking into at the minute is my wedge line up.

Curious to hear your thoughts on shaft choice after your fitting.

Im considering DG Spinner in my next set but keep hearing good things about the Nippon varint.

Robust with feel is what the Modus is.

When you get handed shafts it's very clear the differences in feel right away as one is different to the other. Sounds obvious but what mean is, this is not a "could you blindfolded tell one ball from another", it's very noticeable.

The DG spinner is a little naughty. It's an old shaft now but what they did was make the tip softer and a little more active thus adding a few hundred rpm. Do you want a softer tip in a wedge to gain 200 rpm on say 10,000, I'm not convinced.

There is a ton of dedicated wedge shafts out now. KBS have 5 or 6. They have the High Rev 2.0 if your really looking to back the ball up. 610 for that kinds low skippy flight and so on.

I think the deal is, go for feel. Fitting a driver shaft, 300 rpm on 2000 is something. 300 rpm on 10,000 is buttons.

Edit, worth noting that decent angle is as important as spin. Or really the combo of both.

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Robust with feel is what the Modus is.

When you get handed shafts it's very clear the differences in feel right away as one is different to the other. Sounds obvious but what mean is, this is not a "could you blindfolded tell one ball from another", it's very noticeable.

The DG spinner is a little naughty. It's an old shaft now but what they did was make the tip softer and a little more active thus adding a few hundred rpm. Do you want a softer tip in a wedge to gain 200 rpm on say 10,000, I'm not convinced.

There is a ton of dedicated wedge shafts out now. KBS have 5 or 6. They have the High Rev 2.0 if your really looking to back the ball up. 610 for that kinds low skippy flight and so on.

I think the deal is, go for feel. Fitting a driver shaft, 300 rpm on 2000 is something. 300 rpm on 10,000 is buttons.

Edit, worth noting that decent angle is as important as spin. Or really the combo of both.

Youll not be disappointed in the Modus 3's, Ive got them in my wedges but the 115's and are great. I'm a huge Nippon fan and have had their shafts in my irons for the past 8yrs. I've got the new105 modus ready and waiting for some nice forged heads to be stuck on.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Youll not be disappointed in the Modus 3's, Ive got them in my wedges but the 115's and are great. I'm a huge Nippon fan and have had their shafts in my irons for the past 8yrs. I've got the new105 modus ready and waiting for some nice forged heads to be stuck on.

Is it true that Nippon press there steel shafts on a form so they have no spine? Or did I make that up?

Are the Miura your cup of tea?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it true that Nippon press there steel shafts on a form so they have no spine? Or did I make that up?

Are the Miura your cup of tea?

My now retired club builder always thought they were great when it came to Puring the shafts Alex. He had his own way of Puring shafts with a laser and he said there were 3-4 positions he could put the shaft in and would be spot on. Since his retirement and where I live there is no club fitter nearby so I bought all his stuff and went on a club fitting course recently, and I'm learning about it.

But from my experience Nippon shafts 'can' have multiple positions to be optimised in the pured form. I had a Nippon wedge shaft that I had already pured by myself and was waiting to be fitted. A few days later I returned and forgot that I'd already pured the shaft and after going thru the process and settling on a position I noticed I had already marked the shaft previously and it was in the exact same position.

Im confident that your next set of irons will have Nippon shafts in them.

As for Muiras, what's not to like? Checkout Tourspecgolf.com

Last edited: