Wedge Bounce

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello I have a query regarding SW's and bounce but I'll give some background first. I recently treated myself to a new set of irons and have now been rethinking my wedges. At the moment I have 45 degree PW, 50 degree, 56 degree and a 60 degree. They are as follows:

45 degree - PW with the set
50 degree - 48 degree vokey which has been altered to a 50 degree
56 degree - very old sw that came with an old set. (no idea what the bounce is on it)
60 degree - vokey with 4 degrees bounce.

I'm looking to change my old sand wedge but have a few questions:

1)What degree bounce should I look for on a 56 degree SW?
2)Should I use my 60 degree out of the sand instead and is 4 degrees ok for this as I would open the face and therefore increase the bounce?
3) what degrees of bounce is needed for the sand and how does this change dependant on the type of sand?

I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference but standard setup figures for bounce and club selection for the sand is what I'm looking for.

Any help most appreciated

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First considerations are, do you play largely at the same course? Are the fairways mown tight? Is there alot of sand in the bunkers generally?

Answering Yes to tightly mown fairways would lead you to want a lower bounce. More sand in bunkers would require a higher bounce.

Standard for a sand wedge I would say is 10 or 12 degrees. Perhaps 6 or 8 for other wedges.

I have 12 on my gap and sand wedge and they are behaving themselves perfectly at the moment, however I would recommend a different bounce between your sandwedge and other wedges to give you options. I do not think 4 degrees in enough. If you like your sandwedge, a decent pro can grind the sole of the club to alter the bounce.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot depends on whether you're a slider or a digger. Off fairways and from the rough, when you swing your wedges, do you take a divot? If it's a normal sized one then you're in the middle, if it's a turf you could sell in a garden centre then you're a digger and if there's no divot or not much of one then you're a slider.
A slider needs lower bounce
A digger needs higher bounce and in the middle you need to be - well - in the middle.
Low bounce is 4-8 degrees, high is 12-16. Around 10 is in the middle.
Generally, even if you're a slider you'll need at least 10 degrees bounce on your SW. Too little and the SW will dig into the sand and not fire through it.

Softer sand needs more bounce, hard-pack or little sand needs less. Soft/lush fairways/rough needs more bounce, hard/short fairways need less.

That's why carrying a variety of wedges with differing bounce values is useful. My 50 and 58 have 8 degrees and my 54 has 11. I'm kind of in the middle.