Watching the pros close up

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I went and watched the tp tour event at stoneham yesterday as I haven't ever watched pros "live" before. I walked round with the club pro (who I have had lessons with) and Richard Bland and we were able to mix with them and be as close as we wanted throughout the round. I thought it would be good to go and see how they managed the course and also get a feel for how they swing (tempo etc).

I came away knowing that when I hit a good drive I am aslong and as accurate as they are on average (ok my good drive happens about once every 7 drives), but their approaches into the greens was what impressed me the most and the way they altered the approaches depending on what the rather blustery wind was doing. Bland won on 6 under par but could have been 8 or 9 under had a few puts dropped. The only time I remember him being in trouble was on the 4th where he drove into thick rough, had to chip out sideways and was left with having to go up and down from 200 yards, which he did with relative ease.

Really made me think which areas I need to work on, and how I can play the course better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had two things stand out when I saw a pro tournament. Firstly, they hit the ball so cleanly. Time and time again, a wonderful ball strike. Next, they leave their putts dead. Not as many drop as you think from watching tv but their first putt is beautifully weighted.

I don't remember seeing any shot that I though was so freaky that a decent golfer, could not do it, they just do them all the time. Perhaps if I had seen a Phil or a Bubba it would be different but otherwise they just hit the ball well.

Incidentally, I am not deluded, I know they play at an entirely different level but watching them is inspiring rather than off putting. Great to watch and well worth it.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember going Royal Liverpool couple of years ago and spent most of the day sat in a stand behind a par 3.

Like above its just how consistent their strikes are and how crisp they are. They make it look so effortless too.
The noise from the strikes of the ball is just something else totally.

Brilliant to watch though :thup:

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I played a round at my club with my pro who occasionally plays TP Tour events. I actually out drove him a couple of times. The things that I felt really stood were;

1. My bad swing will result in a OOB tee shot where as his just meant he was in the rough.
2. His course management and club selection
3. When didn't make GIR he always got up and down
4. Lag putting

All in all he made a very difficult course look pretty simple finishing 1 under having never played there before

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the one thing that struck me the first time i watched pro's close up at CS a few years ago was how much rubbish pro's talked with their caddys while getting ready to take a shot..

no wonder they take so long to get around a course

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have to agree with the putting. How they can get it to stop within a few inches/few feet of the hole from any distance is something that always amazes me. How they can also knock in those par saving putts as well.

I actually find watching the Pros warm up far more interesting then seeing them on the course. You get to see them hit clean strike time after time and it is mesmerising, as well as quite inspiring.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It is a revelation to see both, how brilliantly they strike the ball and, occasionally just how they duff like we do. If you want to see top pro's really close up best you put a note in the diary for the US Open qualifying at Walton Heath the day after the Wentworth BMW finishes - its free and you walk the fairways with the players

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love spending time at the range watching the pros. Seeing the ball flight and hearing the sound at connection is lovely. Could spend all day there if I had the choice. Worth the entry price alone on practice days.

Also a very good place to spend time is the short game greens/practice areas for the pros. At Muirfield 2013, spent about an hour watching Grace play bunker games with Pete Cowan, was great to see how all the different bunker shots are played and just how to go about things when the pressure was on in terms of the game they were playing.

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It is a revelation to see both, how brilliantly they strike the ball and, occasionally just how they duff like we do. If you want to see top pro's really close up best you put a note in the diary for the US Open qualifying at Walton Heath the day after the Wentworth BMW finishes - its free and you walk the fairways with the players

What players were there mate?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Touches and shots around the green are a different class. Also bunker play.

I've always been slightly dubious about club players who say they hit the ball as far if not further than the pros, then I played a match against one and I'll hold my hands up and say I was amazed - but still only a 10 handicapper as he found the fairway twice (match ended after 16 so maybe not a fair stat). So he could langer it, wasn't able to control it and wasn't able to play himself out of trouble. Pros have more control and a better ability to recover if in trouble.

Vardon11LDN

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Loads from the European Tour, Harrington, Ross Fisher, Lewis, dredge, Ilonen,Havret,Siem,Larrzabel,Rock, Tyrell Hatton, Milkha Singh, Soren Hansen, Canazares, Bourday, to name but a few

Will put that in the diary for next year. Who made it from that qualifying?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love practice days at things like the BMW or the US Open qualifier where you can get really close. The thing that struck me is there tempo. Smooth and repetitive and not quick and jerky with excessive moving parts like my own effort. Short game skills are immense too and along with their course management you can see how they don't let one bad shot always have to cost a double bogey or worse

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I reckon the average amateur golfer will do better to watch a ladies tour event rather than the blokes.
These often tiny women dont have the physical strength that most blokes have, but through timing, rhythm and tempo can easily outdrive most of us.

You wont be able to take much into your game having watched a mens pro tournament, but I bet you will having watched a Ladies event

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I reckon the average amateur golfer will do better to watch a ladies tour event rather than the blokes.
These often tiny women dont have the physical strength that most blokes have, but through timing, rhythm and tempo can easily outdrive most of us.

You wont be able to take much into your game having watched a mens pro tournament, but I bet you will having watched a Ladies event

ladies open 28th -31st July at Woburn for you "slower" swingers Phil :p

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have been to more than 10 tour events and what I think is important to take away is

1. Stop talking about your BEST drive, how bad was your WORST drive? Their worst drive is still pretty damn good.. think about it..
2. The control of their pitching is ludicrous
3. They make the game look easy as they are so balanced
4. I think **** golf is easy i am off to shoot 65 and somehow it does not work, they clearly have magic clubs

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember watching the Jamega tour guys at my course when I first started.

Where I was laying up on the 9th short of the lake, they were driving over it. I could only have rolled my driver into it.

Some were more successful than others though...