Watching the pros close up

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the Royal St George Open a few years ago the weather was filthy. I watched Mark O'Meara play a 3 wood out of wet, short rough into the wind. Now he is a big unit, but he did not lash at the ball like most of us would have done. One smooth swing later the ball is tracking like a determined, laser guided missile towards the flag. My jaw dropped, I can tell you.
So that's how you do golf!!!

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
The biggest thing I take from watching Pro's is there perpetration and the amount of time they put into there recovery shorts and Putting. From inside 120 yards is where I notice the biggest differences.

I used to to caddy for a good friend in amateur and pro, he was off +4 with a superb work ethic. I could compete with him up to 120yards and in, in fact I was probably better with a driver in my hands. I was no where near inside the 120yard range though, his ball control and recovery around the greens and from bunkers was amazing.

I played a lot with him around this time and I had plenty of time for practice. I played my best golf around this time as I soaked information up like a sponge, I also had time to practice what I had been told. Having time to practice what really matters (120 yards and in) will make the biggest difference to most people's game.

My mate went onto become a very good teaching pro, he thrives off teaching players who are hungry to improve and put the hrs in to see the results of his teaching. He says there's no point in paying me X amount of £ an he if your not going to practice what I have shown you so it becomes second nature.