Watching the professionals

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really need to get myself to an event, great obversations lads 👍

Compared to many of you I'm still very much a rookie, but can you really change your swing speed that much when you've been playing for so long and got an almost engrained rhythm elready? I've watched them on TV and some swings with their mid irons on long pars look like there in slo-mo and go as far as a wood for me, I've always heard its tempo and not brute force but I'm not sure even after just 5 years I could naturally slow down that much!

I know what you mean about the sound though, Peter Finch has a nice slow swing and when he hits a 2 iron it fizzes like I've never heard before.

I'm quite happy with my tempo and rhythm, it's the (perceived) effort to smack the ball that I want to change.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll add that watching the pros on the putting green, they make far more than they ever do on the course

Their short game skills are the real game changer between them and even low single figure golfers

The Grove is a cold place when the wind blows and hillier than it looks standing on the first tee

They take massive divots on all shots
I was surprised how many just burn the turf. Fitzpatrick and Westwood hardly took a divot. I may have to show then how to do it.;)

Good to hear it was not a scoreboard carrier that got in your way Murph. Some of them have no idea.:whistle:

D

Deleted member 1418

was that you or Blundell that shouted out 'get in the hole' ? :whistle:

Definitely not us - we were the very model of drunken respectability! Besides, Blundell couldn't even string the words together by the end of the day!!! :D

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Agree with the putting observation,lower down the pecking order its not really that good although they seem to make a living out of it :).

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agree with OP comments but would add Beef is great for the game.interacted with the Crowd more players should do it. The porta loos stink

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just don't think I could ever get used to the crowd. Even when they are still and quiet they are not still and quiet.

Looking at the crowd, the average age was 50 odd. Very few young people.

If I was a touring pro and had anything like a few quid I would not play this late in the year in the UK.

Caddies are busy people.

The event seemed well organised but Woburn has a more homely feel.

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just don't think I could ever get used to the crowd. Even when they are still and quiet they are not still and quiet.

If I was a touring pro and had anything like a few quid I would not play this late in the year in the UK.

Caddies are busy people.

Oh ye and a huge amount of player on the European Tour play with Oban shafts.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Another point to add - true golf fans can drink normal strength beer all day and not shout out ridiculous comments!!

I was thinking that a few might shout out some 'British' versions of the crap the yanks scream

'Marmite Sarnies'
'Get off my land'
'Eton Mess'
'More Tea Vicar'

etc...

D

Deleted member 1418

I was thinking that a few might shout out some 'British' versions of the crap the yanks scream

'Marmite Sarnies'
'Get off my land'
'Eton Mess'
'More Tea Vicar'

etc...

'Time for Tiffin' would be genius!

And how about phrases from Carry On films? Someone shouting 'Ooh matron' in the voice of Kenneth Williams after a drive would be very funny!!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Caddies are busy people.

School day perhaps? Saw plenty there today.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My observations from today:

GMAC takes ages.

Lee Westwood remains extremely popular.

Golf pro's cant get precious over noise. There is always someone chuntering away / munching on some crisps / talking on a walkie talkie etc.

Great to see Paul McGinley playing

The whole 'Beef' obsession is going to become annoying

Golf tournaments look so much better when there is a decent crowd watching

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The whole 'Beef' obsession is going to become annoying

Got to disagree, He is drumming up a lot of interest and he really interacts with the fans which can only be a good thing for golf

throughly decent bloke aswell. Can be seen over North Middlesex golf club which is near my work so I go for rounds before a late shift sometimes. Down to earth guy