Watching the professionals

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One other thing that was most interesting yesterday was how 3 different players used 3 different methods to play from out of the deep swale behind the 13th green. It was also rather pleasing to see the player who tried the bump and run method was the only one of the three to get up and down to save par.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got to disagree, He is drumming up a lot of interest and he really interacts with the fans which can only be a good thing for golf

throughly decent bloke aswell. Can be seen over North Middlesex golf club which is near my work so I go for rounds before a late shift sometimes. Down to earth guy

I've got nothing against him as its great that he interacts with the crowd and looks like he's enjoying himself, which seems rare in pro golf, but i think the crowd and media obsession is a bubble likely to burst soon as i just get the feeling he isnt gonna have the game to back up all their hype. He looks a quality tour player but i think the danger is the media and fans are bigging him up as being a golfing superstar rather than just a golfing personality. Thus if he doesnt fullfill their expectations there's the danger of a backlash which will be of no fault of his own.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got nothing against him as its great that he interacts with the crowd and looks like he's enjoying himself, which seems rare in pro golf, but i think the crowd and media obsession is a bubble likely to burst soon as i just get the feeling he isnt gonna have the game to back up all their hype. He looks a quality tour player but i think the danger is the media and fans are bigging him up as being a golfing superstar rather than just a golfing personality. Thus if he doesnt fullfill their expectations there's the danger of a backlash which will be of no fault of his own.

It's funny though that people on here criticise Andy Murray and Dustin Johnstone for lack of personality and Beef for, apparently, too much!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not sure if it matters if he's a journeyman pro if he sparks interest, excitement and a following. People tuned in and got behind Rick and Pete's quest for the open and they had no chance. I think we just like a good story.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it matters if he's a journeyman pro if he sparks interest, excitement and a following. People tuned in and got behind Rick and Pete's quest for the open and they had no chance. I think we just like a good story.

I think its amazing the difference in quality between your average pro and a touring pro

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I went to watch professionals play today, for the first time, and whilst I enjoyed it, I have a few observations.

They are slow. Proper slow.

The massive wadge of paperwork they carry, yardage charts, putting charts, adds nothing to their game. Seriously, I think they would be just as good judging by eye. And quicker. More info equals more over load, and slower play.

Very few of them can putt. Seriously. On telly you only see the ones that drop. In reality, that's not many.

They hit the ball long, but not forum distance.

They are better on the range than on the golf course.

Bernt Wiesberger has a swing that is faster than slasher Nash, and I did not think that was possible.

Walking 70 yards from your ball to the green and back again does not guarantee you will hit the green.

280 is a good hit. Seriously good.

Getting back spin on a 30 yard pitch is an issue, even given wet balls, clubs, grass, greens. It's like a magic trick. How do they do it, and Why? As most come up short.

Heineken at £5.50 is a swizz.

Your average tour pro is a midget. Built for television.

Rain is less of a problem than wind. Even a little bit of wind, versus proper rain.

The noise the strike makes is way different, even to your 1 or 2 handicap mates.

Having your caddy lie full length, on a wet green, in the rain, to read your putt, doesn't mean you will get it anywhere near the hole.

Soren Kjeldson shouldn't be fetching his own divots when his caddy has mootched off 50 yards in front.

Getting a premium place, by the green, so you can get a good view, doesn't stop someone from setting up a TV camera right in front of you.

Westwood still can't buy a putt.

Watching the Jaidee and Kjeldson "I can play slower than you" bore fest at the 18th green forced me to go and drink copious amounts of over-priced Amstel!

Loved it yesterday - agree with everything Murph wrote!

I agree with Murph on most things. There are a few tall/not short Pros though. Peter Hanson and Alvaro Quiros to name a couple. The real key is flexibility!

@Pieman. At least the quality of beer has improved somewhat - from Harp, which would be the same price! Interesting shaped glasses too! :whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think Beef has the game to win a major but he is still a pep in the arm for golf on both sides of the Atlantic and he seems to be happy, and is playing well enough. All power to him and long may he continue to make fans happy. As long as he doesn't let this Beef thing distract him from playing and working at his game then so what?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think Beef has the game to win a major but he is still a pep in the arm for golf on both sides of the Atlantic and he seems to be happy, and is playing well enough. All power to him and long may he continue to make fans happy. As long as he doesn't let this Beef thing distract him from playing and working at his game then so what?

could be a perfect Ryder cup player. Bit like poulter who isn't the most talented golfer but commands a crowd and is a good match play player.

beef could be his successor