wasn't sure what to do... or say!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
played par 3 last week, as a loosener for a round the day after... doing ok, was around 31 coming to the 9th. but there was a older guy, hitting ball after ball off the tee, and there must have been 8 or 9 balls on the green.. i asked if he'd played round, he said no just practising for that afternoons stableford... but it could just play through him. onto a green covered in balls, and no doubt pitch marks... whats the ruling here? complain to starter hut? considering the course has a driving range!...
I just walked off, pretty stunned.

By "ruling" - I'd say no ruling, don't think he's breaking any rules.

He did say you could play on, it's not as if he then walked to the green in front of you and putted out his 8 balls.

Chill and move on, far more bigger things to worry about would be my advice :)

John Evans 9

Visit site
I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me. I came round the dogleg of a par 4 to find someone practising chipping and about 20 balls on the green. He stood to the side and waved me through but I indicated to him to remove all the balls first. He did not seem in the least embarrassed and there is a no practice on the course rule in place. I later found out he was a committee man and past captain of the club. The club has a very good practice ground with an excellent chipping and putting green. There was no excuse for such moronic behaviour.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn't that the point of a par 3 course, to practice your short game, bearing in mind practicing on the main course is often frowned upon or banned.
Having said that, if it was me practicing and I saw someone coming, I would have collected my balls and moved to the side.
Doesn't sound like he was practicing his short game but was practicing from the tee.
For me its about courtesy to your fellow members . If its quiet and he moves aside no problem in using the course for practice. If he is playing full irons from the tee which can mark both the tee and the green particularly at this time of the year, well if there is a par three course there is usually a practice area as well and that is the place for repeatedly practicing your full swing.

D

Deleted member 1147

It's a par 3 course, not a practice range.
If he wants to practice hitting a load of balls at a target he should go on the range, and aim at the 100 or 150 yd markers.

The problem with what he is doing is holding up other players, leaving a load of balls on the green that others need to move to play their putts/chips, and leaving a load of pitchmarks on the green, and he will no doubt not repair all of them.

You should have reported him to an official of the club.