wasn't sure what to do... or say!

Coreservers

Visit site
played par 3 last week, as a loosener for a round the day after... doing ok, was around 31 coming to the 9th. but there was a older guy, hitting ball after ball off the tee, and there must have been 8 or 9 balls on the green.. i asked if he'd played round, he said no just practising for that afternoons stableford... but it could just play through him. onto a green covered in balls, and no doubt pitch marks... whats the ruling here? complain to starter hut? considering the course has a driving range!...
I just walked off, pretty stunned.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
played par 3 last week, as a loosener for a round the day after... doing ok, was around 31 coming to the 9th. but there was a older guy, hitting ball after ball off the tee, and there must have been 8 or 9 balls on the green.. i asked if he'd played round, he said no just practising for that afternoons stableford... but it could just play through him. onto a green covered in balls, and no doubt pitch marks... whats the ruling here? complain to starter hut? considering the course has a driving range!...

Was you playing a par 3 hole or a par 3 course? I'm guessing a hole

I don't think there is any rule tbh. So long as he lets people through and is a member

RichA

Visit site
A bit late now, but I'd have probably asked why he didn't consider walking up to the green and moving on when he saw me a hole or 2 behind.

Coreservers

Visit site
Was you playing a par 3 hole or a par 3 course? I'm guessing a hole

I don't think there is any rule tbh. So long as he lets people through and is a member
Was playing the par 3 course. as stated was 31 up to there. At the club you have to book tee times for the par 3, and theres a perfectly good driving range for practising. This guy just walked on to the 9th, and started hitting, with myself and other people playing 9 holes.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
If I have read this right, he is practicing on the course before playing a competition?

If so, this is against rules - he should not be doing it full stop.

Edit: Or is the comp on another course at your club :unsure:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I have read this right, he is practicing on the course before playing a competition?

Only if he's practicing on the course being used for the comp. If he's using a par 3 course and then playing the main course for the comp then no penalty and in essence no different to using a practice ground or range

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was playing the par 3 course. as stated was 31 up to there. At the club you have to book tee times for the par 3, and theres a perfectly good driving range for practising. This guy just walked on to the 9th, and started hitting, with myself and other people playing 9 holes.

Sorry yes 31 missed that

Does your membership mean the par 3 is free? If so again nothing really wrong with it providing he doesn't hold People up

Might go up and putt them afters or finish every ball off

I used to take 3 balls down our par 3 when empty and play them all for practice

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Edit: Or is the comp on another course at your club :unsure:
Probably a different course - I doubt they have monthly Stablefords off the par 3 nine holer. I could be wrong of course.

Either way this guy is a knob. Practise on a hole if the course is empty, but if someone is coming behind you, you get the hell out of the way.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably a different course - I doubt they have monthly Stablefords off the par 3 nine holer. I could be wrong of course.

Either way this guy is a knob. Practise on a hole if the course is empty, but if someone is coming behind you, you get the hell out of the way.

He did say he could play through tho so isn't that getting out the way?

I have to admit I don't get why he hasn't just played a round there but each to their own

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He did say he could play through tho so isn't that getting out the way?

I have to admit I don't get why he hasn't just played a round there but each to their own
Yeah I suppose - I don't know if OP was exaggerating about the green being covered in golf balls though. If there was like 15-20 then that would annoy me as well. If it was like 3 or 4 then maybe fine, ha.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
To be honest, I would be annoyed if somebody was doing that on our course. You've seen him with 8 or 9 balls on the green, but he could have done that multiples of times. The course is for playing golf. If he wanted to practice, then I assume there is a practice area for this and not landing lots of balls on the green and damaging the tee and green.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Isn't that the point of a par 3 course, to practice your short game, bearing in mind practicing on the main course is often frowned upon or banned.
Having said that, if it was me practicing and I saw someone coming, I would have collected my balls and moved to the side.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can see your point, its not very considerent hitting multiple balls on to greens if others are playing the course at the same time. Hope he repaired the pitch marks at least.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Isn't that the point of a par 3 course, to practice your short game, bearing in mind practicing on the main course is often frowned upon or banned.
Having said that, if it was me practicing and I saw someone coming, I would have collected my balls and moved to the side.
It's still a golf course. You can practice your short game on every hole by playing it, not just the one.
Most clubs have a rule of no practice on the course.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Re club rules ours are simple - no practising on the course.
Sorry yes 31 missed that

Does your membership mean the par 3 is free? If so again nothing really wrong with it providing he doesn't hold People up

Might go up and putt them afters or finish every ball off

I used to take 3 balls down our par 3 when empty and play them all for practice

Wouldn't be allowed where I play. Maximum of 2 balls in play when practising on the course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was he going to play his afternoon stableford on the same course as his practice?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't be allowed where I play. Maximum of 2 balls in play when practising on the course.

All this "on the course" quoted. I've never seen it cover a par 3 course

Every par 3 course I ever been is dead and their glad of the buissness

Plus another "no practice on course" every round is practice is it not? Always practicing something

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure I condone practicing with so many balls on a green in play even on a par 3 course. Places like Hoebridge in Surrey have a very good par 3 course and the greens are kept in decent nick. Even if the guy tried to repair all the pitchmarks (unlikely) it is wrong. To answer the OP's question, yes I think you should have said something