Warm Winter Jacket

sunshine

Visit site
Clothes that keep you dry and cut out the wind go a long way to keeping you warm.
By and large evaporative heat losses due to being wet can be far greater than straightforward conductive heat losses . Conductive heat losses are far far greater with a wind to increase the rate of conduction away from your body. Insulation is important and gortex is not a great insulating material but combined with a couple of insulating layers it will keep you far warmer than any amount of insulation and poor protection against wind and wet.

I think a lot of this depends on where you play your golf. On a links the windproof element is key, inland not so much.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Agree with the layering comments, won’t be long before Aldi start doing merino base layers on special deal for the ski season, these double up very well for a golf base layer, thin and v warm

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with the layering comments, won’t be long before Aldi start doing merino base layers on special deal for the ski season, these double up very well for a golf base layer, thin and v warm

Agree with layering. Played on Sunday (around -5 wind chill) so had base layer, roll neck jumper, polo and a Ping jacket (https://www.scottsdalegolf.co.uk/shop/ping-norse-s3-primaloft-windproof-golf-jacket-black) with a polo hat. Add in some Ping mittens and job was a good one and even felt too warm when the sun came out.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have a Lyle & Scott windproof top which was bought for me about 15 years ago, and I still wear it. It has a mesh inner which seems to help keep the wind off. Great piece of kit. It doesn't help you I know.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The Ping Dover is fantasticly warm when coupled with a base layer. Love it.
They also have a Norse top (or something like that) which is near top of your budget and might not even need a base layer with that one.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use an under armour soft shell (think it’s called storm) 1/4 zip jacket, it’s soft shell, shower resistant and thin fleece lined. I wouldn’t be without it. On days where’s its sitting around 8-10* it’s fine with just a thin polo, on colder days I wear a very thin base layer too boot. Couple that with a snood and it’s all systems go even on frosty mornings or days with a big wind chill

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve got a Calvin Klein hybrid jacket and it’s great when it’s cold. I think they’re still on offer in AG

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+1 for the soft shells, I've got a proquip one which is excellent.
If you go for non golf branded names eg Regatta ( got one for dog walking) you can pick them up very cheaply.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of the thing to remember is to get your body warm with the jacket on, rather than stick it on as you go out. I now wear my gear on the way over, that way you retain the warmth. The wind can be a factor so make sure what ever you get is wind proof.

oleinone

Visit site
As promised, a review of the heated gilet. Played yesterday with 3/4 degrees C and a penetrating, gusting breeze. The gilet was fantastic, core never felt cold which even seemed to help with arms and legs. Also helped with thawing fingers under armpits. Battery only discharged by half after 4 hours. Also very light and not restricting.100% recommend.

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As promised, a review of the heated gilet. Played yesterday with 3/4 degrees C and a penetrating, gusting breeze. The gilet was fantastic, core never felt cold which even seemed to help with arms and legs. Also helped with thawing fingers under armpits. Battery only discharged by half after 4 hours. 100% recommend.
Which one ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Splash out 50 quid on a ZeroFit baselayer. You'll thank me later.....