Non sweaty Waterproof top

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a Proquip waterproof jacket, which does the job of keeping water out. However, I have to wear a long sleeve top with it otherwise my arms stick to the inside of the jacket.

Is there such a thing as a normal golf sweater, zipped or 1/4 zip which keeps you warm, can be worn with a tshirt/polo, but also has some level of waterproof/resistance to it? More for when it’s only rains for a bit during a round as I’d wear the Proquip in proper rain.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve got a Proquip waterproof jacket, which does the job of keeping water out. However, I have to wear a long sleeve top with it otherwise my arms stick to the inside of the jacket.

Is there such a thing as a normal golf sweater, zipped or 1/4 zip which keeps you warm, can be worn with a tshirt/polo, but also has some level of waterproof/resistance to it? More for when it’s only rains for a bit during a round as I’d wear the Proquip in proper rain.

the proquip jumpers are decent in light rain/drizzle

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Footjoy Hydroknit.

Edit- apologies, misread the question. However the FJ is light years better than Proquip waterproofs. I’ve had both.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One with a string vest type liner is what you are after.
I have a lightweight Adidas goretex I use in summer and a Sunderland one I use in winter.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One with a string vest type liner is what you are after.
I have a lightweight Adidas goretex I use in summer and a Sunderland one I use in winter.
Yes, when I had a paclite GG it was like wearing a bin liner, was wetter inside than out. Not had the same problem since switching to the type with the lining.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I used to have a pro grip jumper which was awesome. Lambs wool outer with wind liner inner, was great for cold winter days.

THE BEST BIT - it featured “ iron cross technology “ which was their marketing name, you could literally poor a glass of water down it and it would just rub off. After about 5 washes the iron cross become less effective, straight back in the tumble and it was like new.

Defo worth reaching out to their customer services team to see if they still manufacture this type. My ping lined jumper although great is like a sponge when it rains.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, seems there aren’t too many options, but I’ll have a look at those suggested…

Case in point today. Quite mild and no rain forecast, and so I wore a golf sweatshirt over a polo, too warm for a base layer. Lo and behold, we had a rain shower for 5 mins! Couldn’t swap my sweatshirt for my rain jacket due to the bare arms! Luckily it only lasted a hole, but a waterproof/shower resistant sweatshirt would’ve been ideal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, seems there aren’t too many options, but I’ll have a look at those suggested…

Case in point today. Quite mild and no rain forecast, and so I wore a golf sweatshirt over a polo, too warm for a base layer. Lo and behold, we had a rain shower for 5 mins! Couldn’t swap my sweatshirt for my rain jacket due to the bare arms! Luckily it only lasted a hole, but a waterproof/shower resistant sweatshirt would’ve been ideal.
I think the FootJoy Hydroknit someone mentioned is what you want.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I used to have a pro grip jumper which was awesome. Lambs wool outer with wind liner inner, was great for cold winter days.

THE BEST BIT - it featured “ iron cross technology “ which was their marketing name, you could literally poor a glass of water down it and it would just rub off. After about 5 washes the iron cross become less effective, straight back in the tumble and it was like new.

Defo worth reaching out to their customer services team to see if they still manufacture this type. My ping lined jumper although great is like a sponge when it rains.
The wool one Sounds like the Ivanhoe Assar that golf support do.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Have the same issue as there will be times when you are playing in warm weather where this is even more of an issue. I bought a short sleeve proquip waterproof top and love it. They are hard to find though. When I am wearing long sleeves I’m not too worried about the arms getting wet. It doesn’t happen too much and they dry quite quick.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Browsing through golfbase today to see what my options are, and I think I’m going to buy a long sleeve polo. Will require some pre-round guesswork as to the weather, but hopefully should stop the sweaty bare arm issue when it’s too warm for a base layer.

Looking at the forecast tomorrow, full on waterproofs head to toe are in order!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have the same issue as there will be times when you are playing in warm weather where this is even more of an issue. I bought a short sleeve proquip waterproof top and love it. They are hard to find though. When I am wearing long sleeves I’m not too worried about the arms getting wet. It doesn’t happen too much and they dry quite quick.

Used to do the same with a footjoy waterproof short sleeve. Great item but lost it’s waterproof abilities after not a lot of wear, but o do think it was designed as a quick shower/sprinkle top and not for use in a downpour

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Used to do the same with a footjoy waterproof short sleeve. Great item but lost it’s waterproof abilities after not a lot of wear, but o do think it was designed as a quick shower/sprinkle top and not for use in a downpour

If it’s full downpour I’m using a umbrella. If I can’t use an umbrella I’m seeking cover. If I can’t seek cover and a long downpour, I’m walking off on my own course. Signs of getting older and not feeling the need to stay out there.