Warm Winter Jacket

oleinone

Visit site
In the market for a good quality jacket that's not restrictive and keeps you warm. Not waterproof, if it's chucking it down, I don't play. Conversely, I don't mind how " fresh" it gets I like to get out. There is a boggling range of choice out there. Any and all opinions will be gratefully received. Budget £150

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What happens if it starts raining when you are on the course?

I would recommend you check out Sunderland, good quality and sensible pricing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest you consider 2nd hand Goretex jacket - Ebay generally has plenty and at significantly lower price (half or less your 'budget').
Galvin Green is the obvious choice. Still carries a premium, but reputation is pretty much warranted - at least imo.
May not, in itself, be the warmest, but warmth is best solved at skin-level. Outer layer warmth solutions are generally bulky, which is not great for a golf swing!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Foxholer just touched upon, multiple thin layers generally works better - do you wear a baselayer? I.e. the skin tight long sleeved things? I personally hate having bulky sleeves on to play golf so my winter solution is a baselayer underneath, and a gilet as the top layer so I can still swing my arms freely.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use layers under a goretex jacket which is big enough to accommodate the extra layers without affecting the swing.

I go for a sleeveless bodywarmer as the last layer under the jacket.

Sometimes I try a fleece with a nylon liner so it moves with the swing.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Agree with those above regards layers. Long sleeve cotton thermal. Thin polyester polo so does not cling to underlayer.

This week I was in a Decathlon shop and tried on one of these...
fleece.jpg
Absolutely superb! Very well made, warm and comfortable.
That's me sorted for the next few winters.
Yup, £9.99. Only an idiot would not buy one after trying it on.
I had bought a similar Regatta one in the BHS closing down sale for £7, but it needs downgrading to a gardening top now as it looks a bit "old".
Bought a cap for £4.99 while I was there.

oleinone

Visit site
Maybe I should name some of the jackets that I was considering, Adidas Frostguard, Ping Dover, Puma Cloudspun. I don't want a goretex jacket as I'm not seeking a waterproof. A fleece doesn't stop a keen cold breeze. I understand layering. It's the top layer that the above jackets try to address and that's where I'm seeking specific opinions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe I should name some of the jackets that I was considering, Adidas Frostguard, Ping Dover, Puma Cloudspun. I don't want a goretex jacket as I'm not seeking a waterproof. A fleece doesn't stop a keen cold breeze. I understand layering. It's the top layer that the above jackets try to address and that's where I'm seeking specific opinions.

One advantage of goretex is it is windproof (ignoring the waterproof qualities). I use a non golfing one, Sprayway walking jacket from Blacks these have the advantage of generally being thicker and therefore warmer. They also have the advantage of being a lot cheaper than golfing specific ones.

sunshine

Visit site
Agree with those above regards layers. Long sleeve cotton thermal. Thin polyester polo so does not cling to underlayer.

This week I was in a Decathlon shop and tried on one of these...
View attachment 39591
Absolutely superb! Very well made, warm and comfortable.
That's me sorted for the next few winters.
Yup, £9.99. Only an idiot would not buy one after trying it on.
I had bought a similar Regatta one in the BHS closing down sale for £7, but it needs downgrading to a gardening top now as it looks a bit "old".
Bought a cap for £4.99 while I was there.

Cotton thermal vest and a thick baggy fleece… No offence, but this post comes from the 1990’s! You should try thermal base layers and the jackets like the OP is considering. You can find them at decathlon too, no need to spend a fortune. I can’t imagine playing winter golf without a base layer.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My combo for cold dry weather is a uniqulo down gillet with a waffer thin windproof top. A very lightweight pertex number that is normally used for running or cycling that compresses down to the size of an orange.
Obviously, a warm vest, tee and light fleece as well.
Very warm and not at all restrictive.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Adidas Frostguard is very guard - keeps your core warm whilst also being free around the arms

The FJ Hybrid Jacket is lovely - very warm

As for Goretex - it keeps you dry and a wind breaker but it’s not something that keeps you warm

Last edited by a moderator:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Cotton thermal vest and a thick baggy fleece… No offence, but this post comes from the 1990’s! You should try thermal base layers and the jackets like the OP is considering. You can find them at decathlon too, no need to spend a fortune. I can’t imagine playing winter golf without a base layer.
My long sleeve cotton thermal is a base layer not a vest.
My fleece is not baggy. It is snug, warm and has just enough "give" for a full golf swing.
Jackets are generally baggy.
"Outdoor" clothing, the type designed to be worn all day, is usually much better than "sport" or "fashion" clothing when it comes to playing golf.
I've played golf for a very long time and tried all sorts and types of clothing.
My last golf jacket was a Sunderland one in the 1990s - I've moved on to better and more suitable things.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have a UA jacket I bought about 4 years ago, still tough to beat. It's more like a gilet with very thin sleeves. I bought a Mizuno equivalent to replace it, but it feels too bulky for golf, so only use it for casual wear. Having said that, I'm with the layering up brigade, base layer, golf shirt, mid layer, gilet, keeps the core warm with arms free to swing. Have a couple of very good gilet (Puma and KJUS) and tend to wear them more than the jacket, unless it is really cold. All are shower proof, and can be washed with Graingers to keep the DWR properties.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Adidas Frostguard is very guard - keeps your core warm whilst also being free around the arms

The FJ Hybrid Jacket is lovely - very warm

As for Goretex - it keeps you dry and a wind breaker but it’s not something that keeps you warm

Clothes that keep you dry and cut out the wind go a long way to keeping you warm.
By and large evaporative heat losses due to being wet can be far greater than straightforward conductive heat losses . Conductive heat losses are far far greater with a wind to increase the rate of conduction away from your body. Insulation is important and gortex is not a great insulating material but combined with a couple of insulating layers it will keep you far warmer than any amount of insulation and poor protection against wind and wet.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Goretex is the layer between the inner and outer layers of a jacket so it very much depends on what the inner and outer layers are made of.
If you buy in a 'walking' shop there are very thin lightweight summer goretex jackets and fairly thick winter ones . I have both and the difference is highly noticeable.