Walton Heath US Open qualifying

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Walton Heath is holding qualifying for the US Open on Monday 28 May. There is usually a lot of decent players taking part, two rounds, and I understand it is only £5 to get in. No ropes so you can walk the fairways and get up personal with the likes of Monty.:mmm:

Sounds like a bargain to me, and will have to give myself another days holiday to attend.;)

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its actually public land so I dont think they can charge to get in. They haven't before for this event (but I appreciate they did for the Open Seniors recently). Its usually £5 for parking, although last year we were not charged for this either.This years its on a working day as opposed to a bank holiday - the day after Wentworth finishes. No ropes so its a cracking day. I walked around last year with David Howell in the lashing rain - now that lad can putt! Monty usually plays in it but I tend to steer clear - hundreds follow the bigger names. No offence David! :thup:

Nearest BR station is Tadworth - about 15 mins walk.

If you can get down there its the best golfing day out in the year for me. Free, no ropes and on my doorstep.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just got back. Brilliant day, watched Olly and Chris Wood on the morning, and Monty and Singh in the afternoon. All four just missed out on qualifying. No ropes so walked the fairways, and got to see all the action close up.

There was a five man play off for four places to top the day off.

Course was in lovely condition apart from the greens. They had been slitted and had ridges running through them. Really surprised they were in this condition for such a big event. Monty had a four foot putt that missed by a foot.:eek:

Alex Noren and Mark Warren led the qualifying.

Great day out and didn't cost a penny.:thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just got back. Brilliant day, watched Olly and Chris Wood on the morning, and Monty and Singh in the afternoon. All four just missed out on qualifying. No ropes so walked the fairways, and got to see all the action close up.

There was a five man play off for four places to top the day off.

Course was in lovely condition apart from the greens. They had been slitted and had ridges running through them. Really surprised they were in this condition for such a big event. Monty had a four foot putt that missed by a foot.:eek:

Alex Noren and Mark Warren led the qualifying.

Great day out and didn't cost a penny.:thup:

Sounds great, would be happy to join you next year Rich :thup:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, I made it down there. Got there about 10 and left after the main playfoff. Walked with Olly and Wood pm. Olly fell apart a bit to just miss out.

The scores are now on the Walton Heath website.

Having been to the Open where its IRO £60 a ticket for the day plus the aggro and cost of parking and you cant get near any players, this day is the mutts.......:lol:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep - I can sort clubhouse passes out if required.

Also, if you marshall, the reward is a free 4 ball for the day. Sounds like a good deal to me so may have a go at that next year. I will post info on that in thenear future.

BTW - I walked some holes with Peter Lawrie duirng the afternoon. Not far from S&T imo!