Virgin

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We've recently had all our Close ripped up by Virgin laying cables and I've got a plastic box flush with the pavement at the front of my house.

So, I'm supppsing with doing all this work they'll be offering some great new and reduced offers to get new people to join up.

Those of you on Virgin or have been with Virgin what deals are you on and what is your experience of them.

I'm not rushing to get on board with them or anyone as I have a NowTV box I enjoy and a Firestick for Netflix.

My current wireless/broadband and phone line is all through EE/Orange Home and is under £20 p/month, I pay £7.99 I think for Netflix and a maximum £6.99 for entertainment on the NowTV with reduced offers for sport, currently £14.99 for the month (half price).

So I suppose my wireless, broadband, phone line (never used), entertainment package and Netflix all costs me a minimum £ 35 plus my adhock sports at between £14.99-£33 potentially outlaying a maximum £ 68, sports being the biggest and costly contribution.

Do you think/know I can get better with Virgin or even Sky or flit between the 2 looking for new deals all the time.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My sister has virgin tv, broadband etc. The speed of the broadband is fantastic, about 50mbs when I was last there. The cable gives you the speed you can only dream of if you are on sky.

She has never had any issues with virgin.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We got Virgin some years back, mainly for 2 reasons.
The signal through the aerial (Freeview) was intermittent at best, meaning recordings stopped.
The broadband we got down the phone lines was slow and wasn't due to be upgraded.
TV and broadband now fine.
Costs as much as you want it to really. Adding Sky Sports channels costs a lot
No issues and very efficient when installed.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The speed of the broadband is fantastic, about 50mbs when I was last there. The cable gives you the speed you can only dream of if you are on sky.

I've just hovered my mouse over the wireless logo on my pc screen and it's says I'm currently 72 Mbps, so mine must be super fast 🤔

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We got Virgin some years back, mainly for 2 reasons.
The signal through the aerial (Freeview) was intermittent at best, meaning recordings stopped.
The broadband we got down the phone lines was slow and wasn't due to be upgraded.
TV and broadband now fine.
Costs as much as you want it to really. Adding Sky Sports channels costs a lot
No issues and very efficient when installed.

I use an internal aerial in my bedroom which means I can't get all the Freeview channels upstairs.

I've got a second NowTV box up there but if it let me access Freeview better by having Virgin this could be a considering factor as we go up early and watch TV upstairs a lot.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had Virgin for everything including all the Sky channels Sky would give them - no Sky Atlantic and a couple of channels weren't in HD. Cost almost £100 at the time. Think the BB speed was around 120m.

Worth it for the BB speed as the other providers were in the low teens at best but the overall price was painful.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want the full package it's bloomin' expensive...
The Tivo box isn't as good as anything from Sky...
Had lot's [too many] local service issues in first year...
Customer service is poor [non existent]...
Underwhelmed with 'phone line...

Broadband is way better than we can get from openreach...

D

Deleted member 15344

I've just hovered my mouse over the wireless logo on my pc screen and it's says I'm currently 72 Mbps, so mine must be super fast 🤔

THats your connection to your local router

Go to speedtest.net and do a speed checker

If you are on Non fibre it could be up to 20m

Fibre connection gives you a bit more

I'm getting Virgin full package installed next week but only because I work for them and get a very big discount

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont think you can beat Virgin for broadband. Always steady and very fast, it definately beats anything BT (or whos piggy backing) can deliver.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Mine says 1Gbs :p

Currently with BT and got a special deal for a year of 200 up and 20 down for the basic price.

Will go to the basic 50 down when it expires.

I don't have time to watch TV and CBeebies, our Plex server and Netflix fill the gap for the rest.

I will never ever have a paid for TV package that isnt on demand.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My son is a really dedicated online gamer. He recently moved house and would not consider any house that could not get a dedicated cable broadband service ie Virgin.

Although I have 'superfast' BT broadband it is definitely not as good as his cabled connection.

As to all the extras it very much depends on what you like watching. I watch loads of films and sports that only are available on Sky (snooker, pool golf darts) so I have that. I have to haggle with Sky to get the costs down every time but usually end up with a reasonable deal.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Virgin digging up everywhere round my way too.
Be interesting to see what they are offering, I'm with BT at moment, and get super fast speeds, heard Virgin are going to be offering 300mb speeds, however BT are also putting in new cables and going to offer 500mb speeds. In NI it's currently around 78mb iirc.

G

guest100718

I get 55mbps on infinity with BT. that's more than enough. what real use is 200mbps

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm on Virgin

just did the test and the results were

Ping 15ms
Download 32.71Mbps
Upload 6.15

When I sign into VM it shows my connection speed is 100Mps

MY package includes TV (Player) Broadband (Vivid100Optical Fibre) Telephone (Talk Weekends)

last bill was £51, new customers can normally get a decent discount

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mum has been with virgin for quite some time. Fine for internet.

Is signed her up to the basic TV package and she got upgraded to the box for recording. This is the thing I hated the most. It is like a tractor. You can hear it clicking and whirring the whole time as soon as you turn it on. Its like a pc that's on its last legs.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am with virgin and have been for the last 5 years.

My package is 100mbs internet, weekend calls (we don't have a house phone but was part of package), TIVO box in lounge and bedroom, TV XL package with added sky sports, altho I think it's changed name now. Basically every channel minus movies.

We pay £63 a month which I have 0 complaints about.

The internet is fantastic

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My sister has virgin tv, broadband etc. The speed of the broadband is fantastic, about 50mbs when I was last there. The cable gives you the speed you can only dream of if you are on sky.

She has never had any issues with virgin.

Does she check her bills. Virgin constantly put their prices up. £1 here, £1.50 there and of a sudden you're paying a lot more.

Their BB is second to none ! Which is why we have it, and their mobiles, but have ditched their TV and landline. But now that has crept up to £25.50 and they are offering the lot for £30 (it was getting to £40 when we ditched it) for 12 months. Give me strength!