Virgin

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the full virgin package including all sports and tv as well as 200mb broadband for £100 a month. Previously I have Virgin Broadband at £48 a month for 200mb and £120 for the full sky package so made a decent saving of £68 a month.

However Virgin TV and the Tivo box is crap compared to Sky's. Ideally would like to go back to Sky for the TV and stick with Virgin Broadband but the cost is too high.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the full virgin package including all sports and tv as well as 200mb broadband for £100 a month. Previously I have Virgin Broadband at £48 a month for 200mb and £120 for the full sky package so made a decent saving of £68 a month.

However Virgin TV and the Tivo box is crap compared to Sky's. Ideally would like to go back to Sky for the TV and stick with Virgin Broadband but the cost is too high.

Same setup I used to have before moving everything to Virgin to save money. Virgin Tivo box is so bad, it's feels very sluggish and outdated compared to the newer Sky boxes. However biggest issue in my eyes is the lack of a dynamic EPG. This is not a problem for most TV but if you record golf to watch at a later date be prepared for dissapointment at some stage. The amount of times I have missed the last few holes of a tournament because of delays is painful, even with 3 hours extra added to each recording it's not always enough.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have Virgin, full TV package inc. Sports, Movies, 3 TIVO boxes, fibre Boradband etc. for £100 a month.

I'm quite happy with the TV side, price is MUCH cheaper than Sky for the 3 boxes throughout the house and the Broadband is by some distance the best available where I am.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have Virgin, full TV package inc. Sports, Movies, 3 TIVO boxes, fibre Boradband etc. for £100 a month.

I'm quite happy with the TV side, price is MUCH cheaper than Sky for the 3 boxes throughout the house and the Broadband is by some distance the best available where I am.

No its not, sorry. I have Sky Q (with sports and premiership footy in Ultra HD which is awesome), one main 2TB box, 2 mini boxes, Fibre BB (35mbps over wireless), phone and my bill is 85 quid a month.

And before anyone jumps in with 'oh virgin are 200mbps' who cares? i can stream netflix in HD perfectly, download what i want and its more than fast enough.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
No its not, sorry. I have Sky Q (with sports and premiership footy in Ultra HD which is awesome), one main 2TB box, 2 mini boxes, Fibre BB (35mbps over wireless), phone and my bill is 85 quid a month.

And before anyone jumps in with 'oh virgin are 200mbps' who cares? i can stream netflix in HD perfectly, download what i want and its more than fast enough.

What's the Router like Rooter? We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
latency is how athletic the squirrels are. Fit ones can wiggle down the pipe faster.

If you on FTTH then the pipe is also lubricated to aid wriggling.

As squirrels have to go both to and from the server it is important both upload and download are high if you want best performance. The download pipe is always much wider and more lubricated.

Also consider, assuming each person can only add one squirrel at a time, how many people are chucking in squirrels.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

There's the thing... I swapped over because with my Sky/BT/Openreach [whatever you want to call it] connection all I got was a spinning circle when trying to watch Netflix/Amazon... Plus when all the grandsons were here using their various devices it was "why is it running so slow?"...

Told it's all down to how near/far you are away from nearest box with fibre connection.. Not techie enough to whether that's true or not...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Told it's all down to how near/far you are away from nearest box with fibre connection.. Not techie enough to whether that's true or not...

Not far off, distance is important for copper wires to the exchange. Why some people get 8 and next door could get 2, different exchanges.

Also explains why my parents in the middle of nowhere but next to an exchange got double the speeds I got from living in a brand new development in a city :rollseyes:

Cable to the house is far better as it doesn't suffer from the same issues AFaIK.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site

Sorry that's balls. I spent 2 months trying to get Sky to do me any sort of decent deal to compare to Virgin and they just told me to get lost, now if I was a new member then sure I could get it half price and free this and<script id="gpt-impl-0.878194195054126" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_121.js"></script> that but as a customer of 10 years go get lost. Really pissed me off that did.

Anyways after 3 months of being with virgin they offered me 66% or maybe even 75% off for a year but I was now tied into a year deal with Virgin so not good at all. I am sure once my year is up I will see what deal Sky can do as I much prefer it.

As to broadband we are heavy gaming / streaming family and need unlimited download limits, we average 180 gig of downloads a month so need lots of it and as fast as possible. While 35mb might be good for you it ain't fast enough to download an 80 gig game I wish to play at all and is certainly too slow too meet my needs.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
believe what you want love.

View attachment 23034

Sorry you are right, is 89.24. My bad....

I'm going to be negotiating with Sky and BT shortly as for some reason best known to no one, OpenReach decided to install a fibre cable direct from the exchange to a telegraph pole next to my house so I'm waiting for it to go live any day now. And seeing as I live out in the countryside I considered that a right result. Seriously, I could have kissed the installation engineer when he knocked on my door and asked if it was OK to stick the cable on one of the telegraph poles on my land so my speed could go from 4 at best to chuff knows, very fast hopefully. So once it is up and running I will be seeing who can offer me the best deal on the whole kit and kabudle and I may well use a screen grab of your bill as a starting negotiating position.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to be negotiating with Sky and BT shortly as for some reason best known to no one, OpenReach decided to install a fibre cable direct from the exchange to a telegraph pole next to my house so I'm waiting for it to go live any day now. And seeing as I live out in the countryside I considered that a right result. Seriously, I could have kissed the installation engineer when he knocked on my door and asked if it was OK to stick the cable on one of the telegraph poles on my land so my speed could go from 4 at best to chuff knows, very fast hopefully. So once it is up and running I will be seeing who can offer me the best deal on the whole kit and kabudle and I may well use a screen grab of your bill as a starting negotiating position.

As a new customer you should get much better than that!! if you are moving to sky, drop me a PM and i can get you a referral code where we both get a 50 quid pre pay mastercard...

Hacker Khan

Visit site
As a new customer you should get much better than that!! if you are moving to sky, drop me a PM and i can get you a referral code where we both get a 50 quid pre pay mastercard...

The trouble is that I currently have my TV though normal sky (not Q), my mobile through vodafone plus my phone line and broadband through BT (long story, work used to pay for phone line but no longer do) . So I am not a new customer as such for either of them, but I want to combine all my phones, BB & TV through one supplier.