Moving House, Phone, Broadband, and TV Question

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for some help and suggestions.
At the moment, we have BT Superfast Broadband (35 Mbps), Phone and Sky TV. Early next year we are moving to a new house which does not have a telephone line, and on checking Broadband availability in the area the fastest quoted is under 10Mbps. Not being a techie, I am wondering what my options are. Ideally I would need Sky TV but only for the regular channels and Sky Golf (Not bothered about other sports or movies) and not necessarily a land line. I have no idea about things like Freeview or Netflix etc. Suggestions please.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is Sky Broadband available? Or Virgin (which doesn't need a landline, but does need access to a (particular? cable network).
Is it a new build? If so, faster (cable) access is probably planned - at least for estates.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You won’t be able to just get sky golf, the whole sports package comes as one. It’s a pity you can’t customise Sky more to just pay for what you want to watch instead of having 100s of channels you never tune into

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you're not even getting FTTC.
Go on the open reach site and check your sppeds there.
Other than that you'll need to look for an independent fibre supplier.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You won’t be able to just get sky golf, the whole sports package comes as one. It’s a pity you can’t customise Sky more to just pay for what you want to watch instead of having 100s of channels you never tune into

Last time I checked (a little while ago mind) it was £18 for 1 of the sky sports channels but £27 for all the sky sports channels .. priced in such a way to convince people it's better value to have the lot it's only £9 more etc

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Looking for some help and suggestions.
At the moment, we have BT Superfast Broadband (35 Mbps), Phone and Sky TV. Early next year we are moving to a new house which does not have a telephone line, and on checking Broadband availability in the area the fastest quoted is under 10Mbps. Not being a techie, I am wondering what my options are. Ideally I would need Sky TV but only for the regular channels and Sky Golf (Not bothered about other sports or movies) and not necessarily a land line. I have no idea about things like Freeview or Netflix etc. Suggestions please.
Where are you moving? I'd suggest looking for a wireless broadband provider in the area if there are any, you'll get decent enough speeds without a ropey phoneline being in the mix. Someone like Caleycom.com who cover large parts of Aberdeenshire and the Mearns for eg. I used them before moving to Banchory, they're very good, you won't get superfast speeds, but you will get decent reliable speeds.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest at the moment that you have broadband, there is nothing superfast about 35mbps. If speed at your new house is so poor it would be worth looking at one of the mobile operators, vodafone or EE for example, and see what they offer via the mobile network. That might be a better option.

In terms of TV, sky comes via a dish so no landline doesn't matter there. No landline or broadband does scupper Netflix or Amazon though. Even going through sky q they require broadband, as far as I know anyway.

Sure you want to move to this house ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Sky still needs a landline connection though, I thought? Or was that years ago?
Netflix and Amazon Prime will be a little compromised on 10mb, I promise, so unless you can get proper broadband (32mb would be the bare minimum for me these days) I wouldn't waste money on subscriptions.
Some good advice above already.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'd suggest at the moment that you have broadband, there is nothing superfast about 35mbps. If speed at your new house is so poor it would be worth looking at one of the mobile operators, vodafone or EE for example, and see what they offer via the mobile network. That might be a better option.

In terms of TV, sky comes via a dish so no landline doesn't matter there. No landline or broadband does scupper Netflix or Amazon though. Even going through sky q they require broadband, as far as I know anyway.

Sure you want to move to this house ?
No it doesn't, see my earlier post on Wireless broadband

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Sky still needs a landline connection though, I thought? Or was that years ago?
Netflix and Amazon Prime will be a little compromised on 10mb, I promise, so unless you can get proper broadband (32mb would be the bare minimum for me these days) I wouldn't waste money on subscriptions.
Some good advice above already.
No they won't, see my post above on Wireless broadband

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say it depends where you are moving to Clive, from a broadband point of view we had Highland Broadband (a local service provider) at my holiday house in Dundonnell and it was superb.
We never had a landline but had Sky tv with basic package.
For years though we had multiroom with all channels and the holiday house was our other room :LOL:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
While waiting for the FTTP connection that's been promised, we are running on a Giffgaff SIM in a LTE router. (£20 a month for 100GB of data). We have a decent 4G signal and get about 10Mb. Netflix and Amazon Prime work just fine.

Bratty

Visit site
No they won't, see my post above on Wireless broadband
I did see your post. I said 10mb compromises streaming, which from bitter experience, I found to be the case. Decent, reliable speed for me would be 20mb, but you didn't state a speed, so I don't know what you consider decent or reliable. 10mb wasn't either for me.
Neither of us are wrong, by the way, so I'm not looking for an argument.

Bratty

Visit site
While waiting for the FTTP connection that's been promised, we are running on a Giffgaff SIM in a LTE router. (£20 a month for 100GB of data). We have a decent 4G signal and get about 10Mb. Netflix and Amazon Prime work just fine.
Sadly, that wasn't the case for me with 10mb. Good to know it's not the same for everyone though.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sadly, that wasn't the case for me with 10mb. Good to know it's not the same for everyone though.
I forgot to add that we only use Netflix or Prime on a single device. If you're trying to stream on multiple devices simultaneously, then I guess 10Mb probably wouldn't be enough.

Incidentally, I tried streaming an iPlayer 4K UHD programme (one the Attenborough ones, don't recall which) and that also worked on our 10Mb connection. (The picture quality was stunning, but we'd better not get used to it!)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The latest SKY is via broadband only SKY Glass

They may still offer it via a dish but it would need checking anyway but it still requires you to have broadband as far as I am aware.

If you are out of contract it may be worth just cancelling then you would get a new customer deal at the new house.

Speed of download is not just about the maximum connection speed quoted it also depends on how far you are from the box and how many houses share the same connection (contention)

Freeview can be had via a standard TV connected to an aerial or a good quality indoor aerial if you have a strong transmitter signal or via a standard dish and a freesat satellite box. The latter will give additional channels.

Netflix is download only via broadband. Smart TV, Sky box or stick in the back of the TV.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I did see your post. I said 10mb compromises streaming, which from bitter experience, I found to be the case. Decent, reliable speed for me would be 20mb, but you didn't state a speed, so I don't know what you consider decent or reliable. 10mb wasn't either for me.
Neither of us are wrong, by the way, so I'm not looking for an argument.
I think the stability of wireless versus broadband may be the issue. 10Mb was exactly what I was getting over wireless and it didn't change which is hat they promised, and there was literally never an issue, can't comment on phoneline broadband itself at that speed. I'd previously had satellite broadband, which while adequate didn't perform as well so changed.

For rural locations it's by far the best option of the 3.