Virgin tv

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right so how did you hagglers go about a better deal with virgin/sky??
I phoned up last week and while I was only going to cancel my tv package I ended up cancelling the whole thing, broadband/tv/phone. While the phone is totally unimportant as I don't even have one I wanted to keep the braodband but they wouldn't let me have a rolling month contract they wanted to tie me in for a year which I don't want as I might move to sky.
Last time I spoke to sky they were prepared to give me a full package for 50% of for a year they wanted me to sign up for an 18 month contract which meant the last 6 months the bill would be way over £100, I'm not prepared to pay anywhere near that.
Any other decent options out there?
I was just going to get broadband and use it with Netflix over summer as I won't watch much tv but I don't want ties into a year long deal so anyone know of any other options?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably should have added the guy on the phone never even tried to convince me to stay with virgin. He just said have you spoke to other providers, when I said yes he just said ok, I'll send you out the bags for the equipment for you to send back, it will cut off in 30 days.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmmm - interesting

I just went through the same thing when I saw my bill hit £130

I just called customer services (not the leaving team)

Yes I am tied in for a year but I have the phone, fibre and EVERY tv channel (every hd sports plus every hd movies plus Netflix) for £100 a month

Bargain

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably should have added the guy on the phone never even tried to convince me to stay with virgin. He just said have you spoke to other providers, when I said yes he just said ok, I'll send you out the bags for the equipment for you to send back, it will cut off in 30 days.

I did this about two months ago. I wanted to keep the BB as it's the best. I also wanted to keep the TV for the recorder but got no resistance. They cut off the lot and gave me BB for £22.50. Last week I was chatting to someone who has just moved house and got BB/TV/Phone line for £24 off them. Not impressed.
PS Freeview is cpar.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got virgin at home, been with them since 2000, got the highest BB, large TV package, don't have sky movies, but have all the sports, and a small phone allowance. Also got two V+ boxes, one TIVO box and the new V6, bill comes in at under £100.

The guy who just fitted the new V6 told me that the V+ boxes are getting replaced fairly soon with TIVO boxes, as the V+ are now out of date and most if not all of the boxes in peoples homes are refurbished units, quite possibly have been refurbed several times.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That was another thing, I put my name down months ago for the new V6 box, nobody even phoned or emailed me about it.
Iv been with virgin for around 12 years.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive always felt ive had a good deal in the end with virgin but you do have to be persistant.

My deal of £74pm for every thing minus movies came to an end in feb, that next bill came thru at £110.

Phoned them up to say im not happy with that and want a new deal, the best they could give me was £85 for the same service, i said this wasnt good enough and to cancel my contract. A week later they phoned me dropping the price to £80 which i still felt wasnt good enough so asked them to proceed with cancellation. A week later they tried offering me a different package all together but was no good so they put me thru to retentions who said that he could drop the price to £66pm for the year. I felt this to be a very good offer and litteraly bit his hand off!

So for £66 i get:
1TB tivo box
V+ box upstairs
150MB fibre optic internet
TV XL + sky sports
and a phone deal but we dont even have a house phone to connect to the lines!

Very happy with that.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ive always felt ive had a good deal in the end with virgin but you do have to be persistant.

My deal of £74pm for every thing minus movies came to an end in feb, that next bill came thru at £110.

Phoned them up to say im not happy with that and want a new deal, the best they could give me was £85 for the same service, i said this wasnt good enough and to cancel my contract. A week later they phoned me dropping the price to £80 which i still felt wasnt good enough so asked them to proceed with cancellation. A week later they tried offering me a different package all together but was no good so they put me thru to retentions who said that he could drop the price to £66pm for the year. I felt this to be a very good offer and litteraly bit his hand off!

So for £66 i get:
1TB tivo box
V+ box upstairs
150MB fibre optic internet
TV XL + sky sports
and a phone deal but we dont even have a house phone to connect to the lines!

Very happy with that.
Yeah that's a good deal, I'll use that to try and haggle them.