Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That collection of persimmon is very impressive but it's come up for sale a few times over the last year or two.

I can understand the seller wanting to sell as one lot, but realistically just how many people are there wanting to buy such a collection for such a price?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Vintage Golf is 50 years old.

In 1973 Johnny Miller won the US Open playing with old bats.
He used only 3 contemporary clubs, 8, 9 and 10(PW) irons.

Johnny Miller 1973 US Open Win
What was in the bag Johnny?

Driver: 1961 McGregor Velocitized Tourney (10.5 degrees) D9 swingweight.
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Steel, X Flex, 43.5 inches.

3-wood: 1945 MacGregor Tommy Armour (15 degrees).
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Steel, X Flex.

4-wood:1941 MacGregor Tommy Armour (19 degrees).
Shaft:True Temper Dynamic Steel, X Flex

Irons: 1945 MacGregor Tommy Armour 915T (2-7).
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Steel, Stiff Flex, +0.5″ shaft length.
2-iron: 210 yards
3-iron: 200 yards
4-iron: 185 yards
5-iron: 175 yards
6-iron: 160 yards
7-iron: 150 yards

1972 MacGregor Tourney Custom (8-PW).
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Steel, Stiff Flex, +0.5″ shaft length.
8-iron: 140 yards
9-iron: 125 yards
PW (10-iron): 115 yards

Sand Wedge: 1959 Wilson Dyna-Power (58 degrees): 85 yards.
Shaft:True Temper Dynamic steel shaft, stiff flex.

Putter: 1952 Acushnet Bullseye Old Standard (36″ shaft)

There has never been a claim that before or since this event has anyone won a major with such out-of-date clubs.

Miller was 26 years old at the time. He was not an "old fashioned" golfer in his style of play or clothing - quite the opposite.
His final round of 8-under par 63 saw him hit very green in regulation. He was not bogey-free, however. He 3-putted a par three, but made 9 birdies.
Only three other players broke 70 on the final day.
His winner's prize money was $35,000 which was about £13,500 at the time.

He was 6-shots behind the leaders going into the final day with "many truly great players" ahead of him including Palmer, Weiskopf, Trevino, Bob Charles, Nicklaus, Player and a few more.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Got a social game tomorrow morning so that gives me a chance to play with some old bats.
Going for a mix and match with some newer ones.

Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5°

Woods: 2,4,6 HB&S Max Faulkner Avenger (Just put new grips on these)

Irons: 3,4,5 East Brothers Diamatic (new grips on these, but only these 3 so far)

Irons: 7,8,9 Reid Lockhart (probably playing the full set 3-SW in the comp 2 days later)

Irons: 8 & 9 Forgan PowerPakt

SW: Cleveland Classics 691 58°

You will notice no 6-iron. That is because I think I will hit the 21st century RL 6-iron further than the EB 5-iron.

Now what about having two 8-irons and two 9-irons?
I've not had the lofts measured on the RL irons, but I hit them a very similar distance to my Ping i10 irons.
So the RL 9-iron could be about 42°.
The loft of the Forgan 8 is 44°, half an inch shorter in shaft than the RL 9-iron and the Forgan 9 is 49° (PW and GW in today's terms)

I have put some thought into "gapping" and think I've achieved a good set-up. No 6-iron, two 8-irons, two 9-irons and only one wedge.
Having a 2,4,6 wood set is very pleasing. Not hit a ball with these yet. Same goes for the EB irons.

I'll decide on the putter in the morning.

:)

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Although I've payed with only the 3,4,5 so far, I have to say these irons are superb.

09.jpg 05.JPG

Looking forward to getting the rest of them regripped and playing the full set at some point.

Made only 4 pars front nine, but one was a 3-iron on a par three - so that was nice.
Tried to play every club at some point and after 10 holes I had only the 2-wood and the Forgan 44° 8-iron to go.
Used the 8-iron on our short par-3 11th, where the tee had been shoved forward and the hole was at the front. Holed the 10ft birdie putt to win the hole.
Used it again on the par-4 13th after a good drive downwind. 10ft putt holed again for birdie to win the hole.
Somehow my partner and I still managed to lose the game 2&1.
Two birdies and two bogeys gave me level par back nine at that point.
Hit the 2-wood for the one and only time off the 18th tee. Well struck, but a yard into the left rough, leaving only the RL 8-iron to the green. Found the left bunker with that.

Anyway - the East Brothers Diamatic irons get a big thumbs-up and the full set 3-SW will go nicely with the HB&S 2,4,6 woods and I can still put a St Adrews Golf Co driver with them.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
But what putter did you go with? :)
Same old 1980s Ben Sayers Opel Line 1.
Going to be using it in the comp tomorrow - thought I might as well practice with it.
15 putts each nine.

(Later Edit: Exactly the same 15 putts each nine the following day for a 4-over par seniors comp off the yellow tees. Used full set of Reid Lockhart irons.)

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Don't forget - @Aztecs27 wants to know about another Painswick.

I've picked up this phraseology from watching the Chelsea Flower Show on the telly. I heard someone say, "This is my first Chelsea".

Last year was my first Painswick. Looking forward to another Painswick.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Arrived yesterday.
John Letters Lee Trevino Super Mex.
Woods 1, 3, 5.
Irons 2-SW

My poor photography skills with the flash has made the 3-wood insert appear to be a paler colour - which it is not.

SDC11797.JPG

So I might as well use the seller's shot for the irons

irons backs.jpg

Circa 1979 - as the resident aficionado informs. :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not quite vintage but picked up a lovely set of Taylormade ICW-5 blades 3-S today, the timeline indicates 1991 so about 32yrs young. Have to admit it was an impulse buy as I really want a set of KVD’s, but I started playing in 91 so going to build a set from that year.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Not quite vintage but picked up a lovely set of Taylormade ICW-5 blades 3-S today, the timeline indicates 1991 so about 32yrs young. Have to admit it was an impulse buy as I really want a set of KVD’s, but I started playing in 91 so going to build a set from that year.
I remember looking seriously at the ICWs in 1992 when I decided on updating my Maxfli International irons from 1977.
I went for my first perimeter weighted irons - Ram Laser FX forged 1-SW. Persuaded by price and the fact that the 1 and 2 looked easier to handle. Had a hole-in-one with the 2.
Still have the 1-iron but traded in the rest in 2008. Really regret doing that now.
What are KVD?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Crow
Thoughts on this re how old it is. It looked in immaculate condition

Attachments

• IMG_9955.jpeg
    IMG_9955.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9953.jpeg
    IMG_9953.jpeg