Vintage Golf

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Set of East Brothers Diamatic irons 3-SW. I'll leave it to the resident aficionado to tell us the who, where and when of manufacture.

(EDIT: I have been informed. East Brothers were an Australian club maker. They were established in 1932. In the 1950s they merged with another firm called Chesterfield to form Precision Golf Forgings - known as PGF. Clubs were still made with the old names for a short time. A good estimate of pre-1960 for these clubs. Older than me, possibly?)

These took a lot more cleaning up and I've touched up the paint a bit. They are so colourful, I felt it had to be done.

Grips look nice, but they are rock-hard. Not perished or cracked though. The stripy ferule and EB in a starburst look stunning, I think.

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG

The "swept back" toe on the back of the head seems fairly unusual to me for this era of club. Lessens the dairy-product-utensil appearance for the longer irons.

SDC11734.JPG04.JPG

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just took delivery of this early John Letters putter, 1930s I'd guess.

Not sure if the paint fill is original but it's been there a while, the pistol grip is one of the more extreme examples I've seen.

It'll obviously need a new leather wrap to replace the insulation tape wrap currently on it!

image.png.c2744154163cb72e4c988e66aee79fc0.png
image.png.d02c120c84242072d48a551ddb0d922a.png
1677068996792.png

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I'm off to collect a set of Spalding irons this morning to go with the woods from post https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/vintage-golf.93646/post-2599508
I'll post more later.

Got home, had some lunch. Had my afternoon nap early then got stuck into the cleaning of the bag and clubs.
First photo is one of the seller's then some close-ups I've just taken of the 7-iron.
Spalding Top-Flite Professional irons 2-SW. Together with the Centurion woods 1,3,4,5 that's one club too many. It will be the 4 or 5-wood that gets left out.
Shaft bands say, Spalding Professional Medium, Stainless Steel.
Each iron has another label, "Supplied by P. A. Stubbs, Leek Golf Club."
Lovely MacGregor bag thrown in.
Some cheapo metal woods will go to the charity shop.

01.jpg02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG

Interesting curve to the frosted area of grooves to the toe.

Many might associate the name "Top-Flite" with the downmarket balls. These are Top-Clubs, however.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I just read this delightful little snippet over on GolfWRX and felt I had to post it here for GM vintage golf enthusiasts.

Peter Thomson loved St Andrews (& British/Scottish golf). As a seventy something, he was a life member at St. Andrews. Late in summer he and wife Mary would live there. He played in his brown street shoes with a pencil case bag of 7 clubs over his shoulder and appeared to be just another member. The other members, of course, knew who he was. But some young guys in a university match did not. After losing 6 out 7 holes to Thomson and his partner the young hopeful asked:

"Gee Peter, you were once a good player?"
"Yes, I had some good moments" , Thomson downplayed, typically not wanting a fuss.
"What was your lowest handicap?"
"Well I was a pro". Now the young man was curious.
"Oh did you win any events"
"Yes a few". He actually won 98 four-round events in all corners of the world.
"What was your biggest win ?"
"Oh, the Open Championship"
Apparently the young opponent now was really squirming with embarrassment, he asked: "Oh what year did you win that?
"1954, 1955, 1956, 1958 & 1965"
And PWT added another fan to his many admirers.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
A set of Daiwa Trypower TCS Blades 3-PW coming my way by the end of the week.
I already have a Daiwa Trypower Persimmon Driver with graphite shaft.

trypower tcs.jpg driver03.jpg driver05.jpg driver04.jpgdriver01.jpgdriver02.jpg

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Just took delivery of this early John Letters putter, 1930s I'd guess.

Not sure if the paint fill is original but it's been there a while, the pistol grip is one of the more extreme examples I've seen.

It'll obviously need a new leather wrap to replace the insulation tape wrap currently on it!

image.png.c2744154163cb72e4c988e66aee79fc0.png
image.png.d02c120c84242072d48a551ddb0d922a.png
View attachment 46596
Make a great chipper now.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was given a load of old balls today by a kind senior golfer who had no use for them.

The balls are all in good condition with many of them wrapped but one sleeve stood out.

"Tradition" NQP balls in a sleeve of three.
I'd not heard of the make before and wondered if anyone else had, or knew what the NQP stood for?

I'll give the actual name away in the following post!
(The funny thing is that they're really grubby as though someone has played a few rounds with them and then put them back in the sleeve.)

image.png.4d44ae183f4563f5d35baf4a7ab306ee.png

1681927684870.png

image.png.1be943529f24dd27f6799ba746731dd3.png

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
At only about £25 per club this has to be a great bargain for a Macgregor fan! :unsure:

Cash on collection? :unsure:
Photo 16 - "Velocitized"
Golf marketing departments making up words isn't a recent thing then.