Vintage Golf

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If you measure the lofts that should give you an indication of whether or not there was a 9 iron in the set.
A big gap between 8 and wedge; there probably was a 9.
I don't have an inclinometer, so I've done my best with a see-through protractor.

7 - 36 ins and 38d
8 - 35.75 ins and 43d
W - 35.5 ins and 48d

A more important test will be hitting balls and seeing how far they go. Hope to do that soon with you observing.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Newsletter from my club. Might be of a little interest to some.

Royal Randall Putter returns to Sundridge

A putters tale......

Jack Randall was appointed as the first Professional of Sundridge Park in 1901. He was considered a 'Master Club Maker' and from his workshop at the club he supplied fine quality equipment to golfers up and down the land. One such piece of equipment, a 9oz, medium lie putter, with registration 685349, is understood to have been owned and used by His Majesty King Edward VII.

Back in 2015 the Club was contacted by a Dutch gentleman who had inherited the putter from his Great Aunt who formerly worked for the Royal Family. It is believed she was gifted the putter when she took up playing golf.

A few weeks ago the same gentleman, Dr James Muller, visited the club with his wife whilst on a trip to the UK. Whereupon he enjoyed a game of golf and lunch with Seniors Captain, Ian Haggart and Richard Browne, before presenting the Club with the prestigious putter

We have a number of similar historical golf clubs, including the driver used by our second Professional, Alf Padgham, to win the Open Championship in 1936, that are worthy of display in future.

We only had 4 head professionals between 1901 and 2003. They obviously enjoyed their time here. Jack Randall, Alf Padgham who won the 1936 Open, George Will who played in three Ryder Cups and 13 Opens, and Bob Cameron who resigned his position in 2003 to join the Senior Tour where he did rather well for himself.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Went out this morning with the Slazenger ADL Bobby Locke irons 3 to 8, PW, SW.

04.JPG

Had enough room in the bag for the Shamrock 2-iron.

set.jpg

Usual Cobra metal driver, 16d and 20d hybrids and John Letters Banker 5 putter. Played only one shot with the 16d and none with the 20d.
Played in a 2-ball with a chap playing his regular clubs off 14 hcap, beat me 2&1 receiving 9 shots from me.

Fairly cold and damp morning for a front nine of 5 bogeys and 4 pars. Some poor putting on the dew-laden greens.
Did the back nine in two over with one birdie, three bogeys and 5 pars after the greens speeded up a bit.

Seriously chuffed with the irons. Hope to get the woods out with them next week.

I don't feel that there is a missing 9-iron. The 8 is like a modern PW and the PW (at 48d) more like a GW

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure I can call them vintage yet but my Cobra KingII irons have been out on loan for quite a while but they're 25yrs old now and just got them back yesterday so i took the 7I to the range this morning with the 7I from by current Cobra Flyz to see how they stacked up

Nothing scientific or measured but pleasantly surprised that on good hits the oldie was at most just half a club down on its little brother with a similar ball flight, the newer club had better dispersion though and it was the off centre hits where there was a bit over a club length difference in distance

Nice hitting the old ones again, still really like the original 'bound effect' grips too

s-l600.jpgflyz730.jpg

AlexS

Visit site
Newbie vintage golf nut here and apologies if I'm in the wrong place... I'm searching for a site or resource where I can research some clubs that I have (date, history etc)... Any help greatly appreciated

RichA

Visit site
Ping Anser 3 putter delivered this morning. Previous owner added a really nice GP Pro Only cord grip which suits it well. Looking forward to getting it out on the course at the weekend. Working a treat on the living room carpet.
Slightly more toe-weighted than My Original Anser and benefits from the addition of a sight line and lack of slot, which in my opinion makes an annoying noise.
Hoping it'll reintroduce a bit of control as the OG 2-ball is currently good for 5 feet and 50 feet but nothing in between.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Newbie vintage golf nut here and apologies if I'm in the wrong place... I'm searching for a site or resource where I can research some clubs that I have (date, history etc)... Any help greatly appreciated

There aren't any single sites that fit your description that I know of.

Tell us what you've got, with pictures if possible, and I'll try and help.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
How cool to have a set of HB&S Max Faulkner Avenger Woods 2, 4 and 6.
Yes, yes, yes - a 6-wood I tell you.
Some headcovers included. Oh, well done me.

03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

Not looking bad after an initial cleaning. Bit more attention needed to the grooves before varnishing.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Here is the other stuff that came with the woods above.
St Andrew Co Driver, Petron U5 putter, Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 2-iron in nearly mint condition and a 3-PW set of Mizuno Silver Cup.
Haven't varnished the woods yet, but ready to do so now.
I wouldn't play the 2-iron with these as a SW needs to be added. I've got an Adams Golf Tom Watson 56d SW that should do.
The 2-iron is in such fab condition, it will have to belong with some other clubs. Lovely satin finish to the clubhead and the grip is sensational.

08.jpg

11.jpg10.jpg

09.jpg

And all for peanuts. Its embarrassing sometimes.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The new putter was delivered today.
I know that putters follow their own rules, but this is the longest ferrule I've ever seen!

Hosel = 3 1/8"
Ferrule = 6 3/4"
Exposed part of Pyratone shaft = 7 3/4"
Grip = 14 3/4"

image.png.152e820f619d38330fc5f1095b04c64a.png

image.png.1e1ab3d7546f19576352b79f6443496b.png

Voyager EMH

Visit site

100 years ago, what was happening in the golfing world?

Bobby Jones won his first Major at the age of 21, The US Open.
He went on to win The US Open three more times and The British Open 3 times.
He remained an amateur throughout.

Gene Sarazen won The USPGA and Arthur Havers won The Open.

Walter Hagen was runner-up in both these events and then went on to win both of them the following year!
He won the USPGA in 1924, 1925, 1926 and 1927.

Walter Hagen’s 11 Major victories in the years before The Masters, and the fact that some tournaments were not staged during WW1, puts him among the most successful players the world has ever seen.

Roger Wethered won the British Amateur. His sister Joyce won the Women’s British Amateur the year before and again in 1924 and 1925.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Finished Lochranza in plenty of time to get to Corrie Golf Club just after 9.30 for my final course of the 7 on the island, this was the course I'd been looking froward to the most for some reason.

Another 9 hole course which I’m sure I found a website for earlier in the year but doesn’t seem to be up anymore. From the outside this is a humble course but it delivers in so many ways. Established in 1892, there are half a dozen old pictures in the tea room attached and a Captain’s board dating back to the turn of the last century. The clubhouse is fantastic and looks like an old railway station.
I was playing the hickory clubs again.

I got there just after 9.30 am and nobody was on the course, I asked the guy in the tea room if I’d be able to play from the white tees and he said yes, but half way down the third hole I was told by the greenkeeper that it was yellows only outside of competitions, not to worry, I’d teed off from the whites on the first and second, the two holes I’d been visualising for months. The yardage for the mixed tees I used was 1,712 yards, par 31, SSS from the yellows 30. A short course by any measure and one that would be overpowered by today’s equipment but perfect for classic or hickory play.
As soon as I got there I felt that the course was going to live up to my expectations and the fact that I made my best score of the week was the icing on the cake!
First hole I hit a soft mashie pin high 15 feet left, the birdie putt just tailed off on the low side but a nice par start. Even my short game behaved itself and I went round in 34, 3 over par, 3 or 4 under handicap.
The course was in great condition and the greens were amazing for such a small club, in fact I’d say that they were the best I played on all week. Everything about the round was a delight, even the weather stayed dry bar a very few drops of rain around the 5th hole, it was so good to finish my Arran golf experience on a high note and I drove away from the course grinning from ear to ear.

I rate this course as equal first for the most beautiful that I’ve played, sharing the position with Traigh GC on the west coast of Scotland, another 9 hole course funnily enough.
If you’re ever on Arran, make sure you find the time to play this course.
Pictures below:
- The clubhouse complete with seagull on the roof
- 1st hole
- From the 3rd tee
- 3rd green, one of two old fashioned square greens which you just don’t see anymore.
- 4th hole
- 5th green with a bit of weather threatening but it passed me by.
- 6th green and another square one, the 7th tee was just to the right with a downhill drive to the left of the greenkeeper's tractor.

View attachment 25328View attachment 25329View attachment 25330View attachment 25331View attachment 25332View attachment 25333View attachment 25334
Nice trip down memory lane… I can distinctly remember how I felt seeing those mountains bordering the 5th green! Stunning course isn’t it?

When I next picked up a club, many, many years later (in late 2019) I was astounded when I learnt how much Scottish courses charged…..to me (naively) golf in Scotland was honesty-box tins, and was a welcome contrast to the uptight and stuffy Home Counties golf courses full of angry stock-brokers which I’d avoided in the years since…

The truth is obviously somewhere in between ?