Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thought I’d start a thread for those interested in vintage equipment; playing, collecting or whatever.

Feel free to post about your older clubs or ask any questions, in fact anything related to vintage gear.

I might be the only one who ends up posting here but hopefully there’ll be a few converts along the way!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I’ll start with a practice round I played this evening using:
Walter Hagen “The Haig” 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods
John Letters, Gary Player, The Master Model 3 to 10 irons
Spalding Cash-In putter (as promoted in the unpopular putters thread)
And to complete the vintage theme, Penfold Ace red heart 1.62” ball

Playing from the yellow tees but the way that the ball exploded off the face like a piece of sponge pudding I might as well have been playing from the whites, the best drive I hit was just over 200 yards, I was hitting 4 wood about 180 and 7 iron around 125 yards.

Pleased to score 86 gross 74 net, 35 Stableford points. Plotted my way round well and played to the clubs and the ball.
Just the par three 10th where I had a disaster, a sliced drive and a shocking short game exhibition meant I was still off the green after four shots and ended up with a quad bogey 7.

Hagen Woods.jpgJohn Letters, Gary Player irons.jpgSpalding Cash-In + Penfold Ace.jpg

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once the season is finished I think I will get out a few times with the Bob Charles club I bought for Clitheroe, see if I can get any consistency with them.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Once the season is finished I think I will get out a few times with the Bob Charles club I bought for Clitheroe, see if I can get any consistency with them.

You'll do fine Louise, they were a really good buy.

Vintage clubs aren't that different to modern clubs, especially the irons.
Woods just need a little more care in finding the sweet spot as it's not as big as that on modern drivers with heads the size of a toaster.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Browning persimmon driver in my garage that I used to use nearly 30 years ago. Was wafting it about in the garage only the other day. The thing is tiny, Lord knows how I used to make contact with it. Got down to 11 with it though.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nick, bumped into a lad I used to play footy with years ago at the course tonight - his name is Jay, think hes bumped into you before, possibly at Aberdovey.

Hes into the vintage stuff, also.

I'm still looking to add some persimmon woods to my Hogan apex ii's.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have a Browning persimmon driver in my garage that I used to use nearly 30 years ago. Was wafting it about in the garage only the other day. The thing is tiny, Lord knows how I used to make contact with it. Got down to 11 with it though.

I won some Browning 440 laminates on ebay recently, a strange head shape but surprisingly effective to hit.

Get your Browning out on the course and have some fun with it. :D

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nick, bumped into a lad I used to play footy with years ago at the course tonight - his name is Jay, think hes bumped into you before, possibly at Aberdovey.

Hes into the vintage stuff, also.

I'm still looking to add some persimmon woods to my Hogan apex ii's.

Jason Dolman, I played with him at Aberdovey and said I knew you from the forum. he was at Clitheroe as well.

You should have no trouble finding woods but persimmons are a little trickier.

Here's a Slazenger Hogan Speedslot, laminated.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-Hogan...173962?hash=item41cc66f60a:g:NTYAAOSw8btZiIwe

Now we're talking!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hogan-ape...550589?hash=item3aee166e3d:g:2HMAAOSwIMdZlvJk

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jason Dolman, I played with him at Aberdovey and said I knew you from the forum. he was at Clitheroe as well.

You should have no trouble finding woods but persimmons are a little trickier.

Here's a Slazenger Hogan Speedslot, laminated.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-Hogan...173962?hash=item41cc66f60a:g:NTYAAOSw8btZiIwe

Now we're talking!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hogan-ape...550589?hash=item3aee166e3d:g:2HMAAOSwIMdZlvJk

Shhhhhhh, there already still in my watch list. Dont tell everyone!:D

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I used to have quite a collection of hickory clubs and vintage balls years ago,I took some of the irons to a range once and was amazed how good they were to use.I currently play a set of 17 year old Adams irons that will stay in the bag forever just cant get along with the amount of clubs manufacturers come out with nowdays with the promise of a better game :confused:,back in the day they would bring out a new set of irons every 2-3 years,nowdays it seems like 2-3 months!.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I used to have quite a collection of hickory clubs and vintage balls years ago,I took some of the irons to a range once and was amazed how good they were to use.I currently play a set of 17 year old Adams irons that will stay in the bag forever just cant get along with the amount of clubs manufacturers come out with nowdays with the promise of a better game :confused:,back in the day they would bring out a new set of irons every 2-3 years,nowdays it seems like 2-3 months!.

Players got by with hickory clubs in the early days of golf and put good scores together on courses that were as rough as hell compared to now, they're still usable today.
If you've got any of the hickory left I'd be interested in buying a few off you.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Players got by with hickory clubs in the early days of golf and put good scores together on courses that were as rough as hell compared to now, they're still usable today.
If you've got any of the hickory left I'd be interested in buying a few off you.

In the 1800's scores in the mid to low 70's were considered very good by the top players but by the turn of the century up to the 1930's scores in the 70's were common place for the top guys and anything in the 60's which was done was the magic number,incredible really considering the equipment they used and like you say the condition of the courses.Sadly I sold my whole vintage golf collection :(.

Last edited:

winty57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can you tell me what clubs are classified as vintage, do they have to have hickory shafts etc or is it an age criteria?

Is there a website with info and meets etc, many thanks

Martin

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite fancy a go at this, need to dig my grandads old blades out of the shed to see if they are still usable or rusted beyond repair and get some woods and a putter :thup:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Can you tell me what clubs are classified as vintage, do they have to have hickory shafts etc or is it an age criteria?

Is there a website with info and meets etc, many thanks

Martin

There isn't really a defined criteria as interest is so low.

My own interpretation is anything over 20 or so years old and preferably blades for irons (although if you wanted to play an old set of Ping Eyes it wouldn't bother me) and wood for woods. Putters, again anything over 20 or so years old is good for me.

Hickory comps can be found and these often specify pre 1935 clubs.

There's a Facebook group called something ilke "classic persimmon and blades" which organises friendly meets.

The annual comp at Clitheroe has sections for hickory, persimmon & blades and modern clubs so something for everyone.

If interest is there I'd happily look at organising a GM meet.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a set of Ping Eye 2 woods that are wooden, would they be classed as vintage.
I also have the irons too.