Vintage Golf

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a set of Ping Eye 2 woods that are wooden, would they be classed as vintage.
I also have the irons too.

Remember my Eye 2 woods with fondness...
They were considered 'cutting edge' when I took up the game...

My late F-in-L had a small collection of vintage clubs including several hickory shafted clubs... Some of the family insisted they were sold when he passed away... Realised about £800 after fees... Wished I'd put my foot down and kept them as he'd said they were for me... But, nothing in the will so sold they were..

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lets Get the Flatcaps back out 

Yep.

I remember when tweed jackets were all the rage on the terraces, around 1984-85, I reckon.

Probably got to Cheetham for about 1989 then. :rofl:

Come 'ed - you get a set, Junior too, and we could do our March 36 hole matchplay extravaganza with them.

Crow, I'd be interested in a meet, if on a weekend, and willing to travel an hour or two.:thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aye why not :thup:

Let me get a set together and we'll get a game sorted

Pedros flat cap was more bondage than vintage :rofl:

:D

I may get the tache to go with it as well.

"Anyone got any tache wax, I could borrow, I'm getting awfully forgetful in my dotage. What, what"

winty57

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There isn't really a defined criteria as interest is so low.

My own interpretation is anything over 20 or so years old and preferably blades for irons (although if you wanted to play an old set of Ping Eyes it wouldn't bother me) and wood for woods. Putters, again anything over 20 or so years old is good for me.

Hickory comps can be found and these often specify pre 1935 clubs.

There's a Facebook group called something ilke "classic persimmon and blades" which organises friendly meets.

The annual comp at Clitheroe has sections for hickory, persimmon & blades and modern clubs so something for everyone.

If interest is there I'd happily look at organising a GM meet.

Thanks for info not really into hickory stuff but would be interested in persimmon & blades, have a couple of Mizuno persimmon woods with graphite shafts in the loft that i bought new in 1984! and the Ping Eye woods
I will check out the Facebook group
T

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently had a family golf weekend as a kind of mini-stag, my future brother-in-law accepted the invitation despite never having played golf before. Told me he didn't need to borrow a set of clubs because he had a half set, so I said fair enough. Then he turned up with these absolute antique blades that said 'Elite' on them, and an old wooden driver. I said 'bloody hell, you'll be lucky to hit anything with them!' He went round in about 150 but he did manage one par on a par 3!

Don't know if those Elite blades mean anything to you? Literally just said 'Elite' in kind of scrolly handwriting on the back, didn't know if that was the brand or the model! I also don't know where he got them from.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not heard of Elite as a manufacturer, there were no other markings/names?

Elite is one of those words that gets used quite a bit, like "Special" and "Tour".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not heard of Elite as a manufacturer, there were no other markings/names?

Elite is one of those words that gets used quite a bit, like "Special" and "Tour".
I can't remember anything else but I didn't look that closely. Yeah that's why Google was particularly unhelpful. Closest I saw via Google was a Spalding set but they weren't exactly the same so not sure. I might ask him to send me a picture under the pretence that I'm getting them valued as antiques or not. :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Love to play some of the courses around here with Hickory's. Most guys I know who have the are reluctant to lend them as they tend to be worth a bomb

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Out this morning with:
"Classic" 1 wood, persimmon but no manufacturer's marking.
Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 3 & 4 laminated woods
Wilson Staff TourBlade Fluid Feel irons, 3 to 9 plus PW and SW
Greenway putter, no idea who made this, maybe a far east manufacturer
Callaway Supersoft ball

Yellow tees and pleased with 18 out 17 back for 35, just a disaster on the 16 that spoilt the card.
Struggled with the woods for some reason. Irons were very nice though, they're a rough old set and this was my first hit with them but very impressed.

What is frustrating is that I scored 28 yesterday in the qualifier with my modern clubs, okay from the white tees but still much worse than today's round.

Classic 1 wood, Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 3&4 woods.jpg
Wilson Staff Tourblades.jpg