Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Probably my last evening session of the year tonight, got out with the Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades (together with an imposter in the shape of a Peter Thomson SW as there wasn't a SW in the set).

Also had the Spalding Cash-In putter but no woods as I wanted to try out the Dunlops because I couldn't wait until Sunday!

Have to say they are beautiful, hit some lovely shots and the feel was superb. I'm less and less inclined to play my modern gear in any shape or form.

Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades bag.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Latest acquisition, a set of Dunlop Peter Thomson irons and woods, £20.

They look to have barely been used. The only downer is that the 9 iron is missing.

Peter Thomson irons.jpg Peter Thomson woods.jpg Peter Thomson set.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hope I hit them as well as you did!

They look like they've only seen a couple of rounds.

Here she is in action at Allerton in Liverpool. Getting my practice in for the meet. ;)

[video=youtube;007dy74vN3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=007dy74vN3I[/video]

dan2844

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There isn't really a defined criteria as interest is so low.

My own interpretation is anything over 20 or so years old and preferably blades for irons (although if you wanted to play an old set of Ping Eyes it wouldn't bother me) and wood for woods. Putters, again anything over 20 or so years old is good for me.

Hickory comps can be found and these often specify pre 1935 clubs.

There's a Facebook group called something ilke "classic persimmon and blades" which organises friendly meets.

The annual comp at Clitheroe has sections for hickory, persimmon & blades and modern clubs so something for everyone.

If interest is there I'd happily look at organising a GM meet.

i'd definitely be in again, really enjoyed it at Whittington previously. i need to get mine out again for a little fun soon. I unfortunately missed most of the summer for golf and i now have winter to play but theres only really enough light for saturdays and sundays with my working hours. if you want to play a vintage round with me over the winter i'd be happy to.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My latest addition (it's got to stop soon, I'm running out of garage space....)

Slazenger Ambassador forged blades with laminated woods.

Unfortunately with the approaching winter it might be a while before I can get these lovelies into play.

Slazenger Ambassador iron backs.jpg Slazenger Ambassador wood faces.jpg Slazenger Ambassador set.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
:eek:
Doh!

But I couldn't leave these could I?
Not seen many post war JB Halleys, they might be common they might not but they'd have probably ended up as a no-sale and junked.

3 to PW in the irons
2, 3 & 4 laminate woods, although there's a crack in the neck of the 2
A bargain at £10
JB Halley Soles.jpgJB Halley backs.jpgJB Halley Woods.jpg

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
The hickory era is a whole other level and I suspect a step too far for the forum, heck I'm struggling to get any interest for vintage here!

Uve stirred something, i might give it a go next year around Machrihanish Dunes. Already got some wooden shafted clubs in the garage

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Uve stirred something, i might give it a go next year around Machrihanish Dunes. Already got some wooden shafted clubs in the garage

Do it, I guarantee you'll have a great time.

A few things to note for hickory:

Check the condition of the clubs, particularly how well the head is fixed, it's recommended to remove and reset the heads on irons and woods, I did on mine. A loose head can cause the shaft to break at the socket.

Play a soft ball, Callaway Supersoft, Srixon Soft Feel or similar, these are old clubs and the woods in particular don't take kindly to a hard ball.

Grips are usually pretty far gone but for the odd round they should be okay, although they'll be a lot thinner than you're used to. If you get serious there are lots of helpful videos showing how to re-grip on YouTube!

If you've got any questions please ask away.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do it, I guarantee you'll have a great time.

A few things to note for hickory:

Check the condition of the clubs, particularly how well the head is fixed, it's recommended to remove and reset the heads on irons and woods, I did on mine. A loose head can cause the shaft to break at the socket.

Play a soft ball, Callaway Supersoft, Srixon Soft Feel or similar, these are old clubs and the woods in particular don't take kindly to a hard ball.

Grips are usually pretty far gone but for the odd round they should be okay, although they'll be a lot thinner than you're used to. If you get serious there are lots of helpful videos showing how to re-grip on YouTube!

If you've got any questions please ask away.

Cheers will look into it over winter

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I may have asked you before but do you collect the vintage bags to hold these clubs in?

They are far better looking than the rubbish modern bags. Granted they haven't got the same room in them but the leather style bags ooze class. I use an old titleist bag which I have no thoughts of replacing.

The rain just runs off them too. Often chuckle to myself when I see my playing partners waterproof bag soaked through. :rofl:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I may have asked you before but do you collect the vintage bags to hold these clubs in?

They are far better looking than the rubbish modern bags. Granted they haven't got the same room in them but the leather style bags ooze class. I use an old titleist bag which I have no thoughts of replacing.

The rain just runs off them too. Often chuckle to myself when I see my playing partners waterproof bag soaked through. :rofl:

Half the time a bag is included, so yes, I've got a few. :eek:
The Slazenger set in post 71 came with a good matching bag.

I'd like to find a genuine old leather one but most of those are past saving.

I haven't put them to the test in the rain as if rain is likely then I'll play my new clubs.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My latest addition (it's got to stop soon, I'm running out of garage space....)

Slazenger Ambassador forged blades with laminated woods.

Unfortunately with the approaching winter it might be a while before I can get these lovelies into play.

View attachment 23830 View attachment 23831 View attachment 23832

Wow! What memories, if only I could remember... my Ambassador 3 wood could just about sit up and beg. Unfortunately the driver was an unruly bu99er. For some bizarre reason I only had the 3 iron and then 4 to SW were Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge. Think I acquired them off my dad in 1970, along with a brown canvas pencil bag.

I do remember the 3 iron shaft snapping between my hands on a follow through, the shaft cutting through the grip and making a mess of my hand. That was the summer 74, playing at Naas GC, Co Kildare.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Wow! What memories, if only I could remember... my Ambassador 3 wood could just about sit up and beg. Unfortunately the driver was an unruly bu99er. For some bizarre reason I only had the 3 iron and then 4 to SW were Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge. Think I acquired them off my dad in 1970, along with a brown canvas pencil bag.

I do remember the 3 iron shaft snapping between my hands on a follow through, the shaft cutting through the grip and making a mess of my hand. That was the summer 74, playing at Naas GC, Co Kildare.

Cheers Hobbit, I'm always on the look out for help with club dating, I thought mine were maybe late 70s/80s, although there have been a few incarnations of the Ambassador, I think the first ones were maybe cast heads.

Sounds nasty with the 3 iron shaft.

I've still not hit mine, but I've since won a Slazenger Ambassador putter to go with them.