Video analysis of Swing - bringing you back down to earth!

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
How many people actively use video to help during practice?

I have this morning and I was fairly disappointed - Felt I had a good set, swing and being off 7 thought I'm doing ok etc

but soon find that
1) a small lateral sway in my backswing and downswing
2) not bring the club back on the right path how I would like
3) Slightly steep in my actual swing compared to my practice swings
4) Struggling with separation/transition from backswing to downswing
5) Cuppy wrists

Grr - not striking the ball bad - but could be much better.

But I know what to work on to make things better!

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have this morning and I was fairly disappointed - Felt I had a good set, swing and being off 7 thought I'm doing ok etc

but soon find that
5) Cuppy wrists

Did you video it with the intent of assessing it yourself or did it follow on from a lesson ?
i suppose that is the down side to doing it you see your swing, warts and all. The worst thing to do is try and fix everything you see if the pro has only asked you to sort a single item first

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you video it with the intent of assessing it yourself or did it follow on from a lesson ?
i suppose that is the down side to doing it you see your swing, warts and all. The worst thing to do is try and fix everything you see if the pro has only asked you to sort a single item first

I agree

itsamomentintime

Medal Winner
Visit site

but soon find that
5) Cuppy wrists

can I ask what equipment you are using? I intend to analyse my swing in between lessons

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My teaching pro uses video analysis at lesson time. Each one looks worse than the previous to me but he isn't so critical, thankfully. Single item I am working on now is correct footwork, specifically right foot action, rolling over to get my weight through the shot and finish on right big toe.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would also be very interested in seeing what equipment you used for the filming as an interested in filming my swing and development over the year to see how it improves.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Video my swing most practice sessions. Use it only to look at the things I am working on with my pro, I used to get all in on how it looked and stuff but soon realised that it really doesn't matter what it looks like as long as its functional.

At the end of the day ball flight is the answer. If you changing something as long as there is an improvement in the ball flight then its an improvement. That's all I can about now, when going for lessons etc.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The HUDL app is good (and free)
Let's you view videos side by side, watch in slow motion etc

Only as good as the person analysing/interpreting the videos though

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

but soon find that
5) Cuppy wrists

Firstly, you're off 7 so you can't be doing too much wrong. Secondly I remember Andrew Coltart saying the game is called "Golf" not "Swing"

Very true what Garush says

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been videoing mine recently for some online lesson with a local pro. Very enlightening! I saw straight away I had the face closed at the top of the swing. I then get a bit too handsy/armsy on the way down. So that's what we are working on at the moment. I just use my iPhone to record it on, you can then also play it back frame by frame.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I enjoy it. Not particularly because I'm looking to hit exact positions in my swing. I just like to see what I'm currently doing and also it allows me to check back in time to see what I was doing when I start to play poorly.

Its funny how much a swing stays the same down the years while playing better and feeling a lot different. I can look at two swings of mine from today and years back and its funny to see the same swing DNA present but very different flights and contact.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a lesson yesterday and received a video straight away from my pro outlining the 4 points we worked on. He also talked me through what swing faults would lead to what shot shape so I could self diagnose in a game or at the range

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been videoing mine recently for some online lesson with a local pro. Very enlightening! I saw straight away I had the face closed at the top of the swing. I then get a bit too handsy/armsy on the way down. So that's what we are working on at the moment. I just use my iPhone to record it on, you can then also play it back frame by frame.

Do you use a stand? If so do you have any recommendations.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Homer, I’m looking for a decent stand to hold an iPhone that is compact enough to fold down and stick in my golf bag when not in use but stable enough to use both on course and at the range to film basic stuff for myself to analyse (I’m not Rick Shiels so won’t be on the YouTube’s)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Homer, I’m looking for a decent stand to hold an iPhone that is compact enough to fold down and stick in my golf bag when not in use but stable enough to use both on course and at the range to film basic stuff for myself to analyse (I’m not Rick Shiels so won’t be on the YouTube’s)

get that this is amazon(dot)com link - but just showing the item- sure you could get it from your amazon

good thing is it will hold the fone in landscape format which is much better ways to shoot than the ways most everyone does in portrait format as then the image is smaller & you got the 2 black vertical edges

https://www.amazon.com/Foneso-Exten...82&sr=8-1&keywords=foneso+selfie+stick+tripod