Steep to shallow swing

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a bit of a swing break through at the range the other night.
I've been a very flat swinger for pretty much all my life.
I'll post some old swings to show how I would normally swing.
On Thursday I tried something I've seen on many videos of swinging steep and letting the club shallow when you put some energy into the club on the transition.
The change in strike was jaw dropping. The swing felt longer and my bad shot of a bit of a pull disappeared. Solid shot after solid shot.
Certainly something I'm going to work on over the winter.
I'll post some videos now to show what I was doing then what I tried and what I was feeling when doing the new move.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

This was the other night. The feeling I was going for can be seen in the practice swing. Feeling like I'm standing the club up as vertical as I can on the backswing. Obviously feel and real are different and its not quite as extreme on the actual swing. To me it feels like I'm taking the club away like matt wolff. It feels that odd.
The thought is, get the top of the swing feeling as vertical as possible. Then when I put energy into the club going the other way it shallows out behind me.
The swing is longer. Feels like I have loads of time, loads of room and the strike is night and day better.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't like the clubface closed on the back swing and at the top.
That's where your pull comes from, not the swing plane.
I hope the changes work out for you but I think the changes will be too hard to replicate consistently on the course.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't like the clubface closed on the back swing and at the top.
That's where your pull comes from, not the swing plane.
I hope the changes work out for you but I think the changes will be too hard to replicate consistently on the course.

I suppose face angles can be tweaked. It's early days yet.

Would you say I'm am more or less shut looking than victor? I'm no victor and he gets through the ball much better than me but he seems to be fairly shut and is a fader of the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Victor must have some manipulation going on in the downswing to stop the pull because if he released the club through the ball with that strong left hand, he'd hit it left all day. So basically he gets away with it.
If you want to stop the pull, I'd check your grip first before messing around with the swing plane.
The ball doesn't care what your swing plane is like but it does like a consistently square clubface at impact.

ThinBullet

Visit site
I changed my grip more strong recently, and it was a revelation after being too flat for years. A guy at the range had one of those training aid 8 irons that weigh a ton with the moulded grip on it, and I had a go. Couldn't believe how wrong I was with the grip all these years, and no coach ever tackled it.

I don't mind being flatter if I'm hitting the ball well, and I know it was because of my grip on the club. Just didn't know where to place my right hand. Did my head in all the time. So i'd swing up, and almost feel the grip slip in my right hand. Now it just sits there and doesn't move in the backswing.

My buddy commented saying that I wasn't looking as flat, and I'll be honest, I had no idea it even changed.

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I will go out on a limb and say the tour striker Planemate is the best thing for you. That thing forces you to shallow … and after a few months of it … should be ingrained. All about pressures and opposing forces. I’m actually too shallow at times now. Hands have to go out to the ball. Not pull down by your side

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I think that my swing is probably flatter than yours, always has been. Like you, I have experimented with a steeper backswing & shallowing on the way down. Like you, when it works, the ball explodes off the clubface. The problem I have with doing this is that I get a few fat shots & pushes, both coming from being too much on the inside, I think.

Sure it's the way to go. If you watch any video of a pro where there is a trace on the clubhead it's obvious that the club doesn't follow the same path back & down, every one shallows the path on the way down.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the range there again on Tuesday night. Sticking with this steeper plane going back.

Not getting it quite as vertical going back and not really swallowing it on this swing but going to keep plugging away with it over the winter.

Hopefully getting out on the course on Saturday. It will be a good test for swing as we have had a silly amount of rain.

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Should’ve kept doing that.Seems like you’re down a rabbit hole now that is very deep.Not sure any of us can throw a rope down the far to get you. With your current body rotation thru the strike… your only going to hit road block after road block

If you keep the mass (club) behind you longer. Your body should open naturally.And will shallow out without having to do your manual hand motions. Work with the mass instead of against it

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Should’ve kept doing that.Seems like you’re down a rabbit hole now that is very deep.Not sure any of us can throw a rope down the far to get you. With your current body rotation thru the strike… your only going to hit road block after road block

I enjoy working at it. There's a lot nicer looking swings than mine shooting bigger numbers at my club. Haha ill be fine 🙂

Jason.H

Visit site
I have a very slightly stronger grip than I used to have. I concentrate on keeping the club head outside of my hands to half way back and then take it up what feels straight up. From there it naturally drops slightly and I’ve never hit the ball so flush, centre strikes. No thought of having to manipulate anything through impact whatsoever. Playing to a 2 handicap after 2 years back in the game.