Vanity handicaps.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Last night we were discussing why our club always struggles in seniors matches, couple of guys were saying that too many guys who play in these matches have vanity handicaps and only hand in about 3 cards a year.

Is this a common thing ? What actually is the point in that ? I can almost understand some folk being bandits, but vanity handicap ? Really ??

D

Deleted member 15344

Keeping low HC s allow people to enter some exclusive scratch comps that are HC ballots - there are loads at these Scratch Opens that should be higher

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Keeping low HC s allow people to enter some exclusive scratch comps that are HC ballots - there are loads at these Scratch Opens that should be higher

Last night they were discussing a senior off of 12, when they thought he would be lucky to play to 20, so yes I get the scratch/lower thing but 12 instead of 20 ??

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bragging rights? "Oh, I play off of 12!"

I'm the complete opposite - my HC is 22, but I think at the moment it should be higher!
Why? Because, where I rate my ability, I would like to be able to be more competitive (without being a bandit) with a HC of between 25 and 27.
My downfall was submitting a HC card that was at least 3 shots better than my average score - getting a birdie on a low SI hole didn't help matters...I have struggled to make par on that hole ever since!!!

For me, I'd much rather have a HC around my ability than to have a lower HC and start making excuses why I shot way over that.
If my HC was 28, I wouldn't feel any shame in stating that, because it is a measure of my golfing ability and would give me a chance in comps to compete.

I get what Phil says about enabling entry to certain comps, but if your ability doesn't match your HC, then you're only going to let yourself look silly.

D

Deleted member 15717

Bragging rights? "Oh, I play off of 12!"

I'm the complete opposite - my HC is 22, but I think at the moment it should be higher!
Why? Because, where I rate my ability, I would like to be able to be more competitive (without being a bandit) with a HC of between 25 and 27.
My downfall was submitting a HC card that was at least 3 shots better than my average score - getting a birdie on a low SI hole didn't help matters...I have struggled to make par on that hole ever since!!!

For me, I'd much rather have a HC around my ability than to have a lower HC and start making excuses why I shot way over that.
If my HC was 28, I wouldn't feel any shame in stating that, because it is a measure of my golfing ability and would give me a chance in comps to compete.

I get what Phil says about enabling entry to certain comps, but if your ability doesn't match your HC, then you're only going to let yourself look silly.

Your handicap isn’t meant to match your ability...it’s a reflection of how well you can play. You showed you can knock it round in a lower score, so have a handicap to match that ability. You should only play to your handicap about 3 times a year...

Regarding the initial post, daft ideas! Why keep it lower than it should be, apart from the reason Phil states regarding scratch opens etc

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Vanity handicaps are much more a thing in Germany than banditry. When handicaps are questioned it is always as: "How can he (or she) play off a handicap so low?". It is really rare that somebody gets flak for playing off a handicap too high (and that's ususally beginners who just hadn't had a chance to play enough comps yet)

This is most common with senior players who used to be better when they were younger. I think it is psychological ... your handicap going up being a reminder that you are past your prime and things can only go south from here. I think many golfers rather keep telling themselves that they are just having a bad day (365 days a year) than that they are just not playing as well anymore as they did ten years ago. The senior ladies at our club made their weekly comp non-qualifying by default, because otherwise no one would show up. The senior men make theirs non-qualifying as soon as there is a cloud in the sky, a bump in the fairway or the wind exceeds 10 mph. Any excuse they can find. As a result, every score over 30 netto points is seen as a major win.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say a handicap should reflect you on a good day, rather than an average or poor day.

With your handicap in place you should still have to play well, or better than average, to win something or even come in the top 3.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It possibly ties in with folk wanting to be as low a handicap as possible, myself included but I'd like to think I'd hand in enough regular cards so that my handicap represents my game.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst this will presumably all change with the new handicap system, I can relate to this.

As a new member a couple years ago I was pleased when I had a few good handicap rounds in new company and was allocated 14, although that was harsh given I had only played to 16 at best.

Wind forward and I soon became frustrated as I couldn't compete and struggled to get 30 pts at times. My handicap has now gone up but that takes time (I play more roll ups than qualifiers) with 0.1s and now, once again, I am competitive (sometimes) and striving to get cuts.

It is a pride thing for me, rather than vanity. I liked having a handicap that implied I was reasonable, given I have played other sports to a fairly good standard, but that was soon outweighed by the frustration (and slight embarrassment) of submitting low (stable ford) or high (medal) scores.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think it happens at most clubs. We have people who only played in three medals to maintain their handicap and that was it. One of my friends was playing about 10 shots above his handicap but wasn't worried. He can't play any more so it's immaterial but I think it's not uncommon.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think it happens at most clubs. We have people who only played in three medals to maintain their handicap and that was it. One of my friends was playing about 10 shots above his handicap but wasn't worried. He can't play any more so it's immaterial but I think it's not uncommon.

That's fair enough but why then play for your club when you know you're likely to get thumped.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We recently had to substantially increase the handicap of one new player ( we were able to do it because effectively he was newly handicapped).

He was only ever playing in National competitions for low handicaps and was repeatedly scoring 10+ over handicap in them.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
You should only play to your handicap about 3 times a year...

I've never understood this. I've asked before but ended up more confused. Should you play to your handicap 3 times a year in comps off the medal tees? Or should you only score 36 points, or more when playing with your mates off the yellows 3 times per year.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never understood this. I've asked before but ended up more confused. Should you play to your handicap 3 times a year in comps off the medal tees? Or should you only score 36 points, or more when playing with your mates off the yellows 3 times per year.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading the CONGU manual and it said you should be playing to handicap I think 20-30% of the time, as your handicap should reflect your potential golf. I've never heard the three times a year thing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh I've known folks swagger around with their low-mid SFs handicaps - when they are nothing of the sort - but it gets them into certain teams and comps that they can then talk about...and newer members or high handicappers who don't know them gather round and listen to their every word of wisdom.

I look on - smile and shrug at their deceit - and walk away. They always get found out.

I'm more the other side of that coin - that I'm 8 at the moment is a little bit of an embarrassment given how badly I've played over the winter months having been re-infected by the devils spawn that causes the s***ks.