Valid Handicap

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would my current handicap be a valid one as I am a member of a golf club just not a seven day member. As far as I know I have to play in 3 qualifying comp in 12 months, so as long as I am a member of a golf club in some playing capacity my handicap should remain valid for 12 months? :confused:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Your handicap will be valid....as far as I know CONGU make no stipulation as to whether a player needs to be a 5 or 7 day member.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.

It is 3 qualifying scores before the end of December. Supplementary Scores are qualifying scores so it does not have to be a card from a competition.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would my current handicap be a valid one as I am a member of a golf club just not a seven day member. As far as I know I have to play in 3 qualifying comp in 12 months, so as long as I am a member of a golf club in some playing capacity my handicap should remain valid for 12 months? :confused:

Is there a "c" next to your handicap on your handicap list?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can have a valid CONGU handicap that isn't a competition handicap. What it's valid for will be up to those for whom validity is the issue.

Outside of your home club they will normally wish you to hold a current competition handicap to enter open events.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as you are a playing member of a club your handicap is live.
It can however have a status of 'c' (Competition) or non-competition (shown as ' ' on the CDH.
Both statuses are legitimate CONGU handicaps.

All clubs must allow ' ' members play in a reasonable number of qualifying competitions. Most/many permit entry into honours board or other 'important' competitions but restrict the ability to qualify for a prize. However, they qualify for handicap purposes.

A minimum of 3 qualifying scores must be returned in the calendar year to maintain 'c' status. This includes supplementary cards. But you don't lose your CONGU handicap.

If you leave a club your handicap lapses but can be resurrected if you rejoin or join another within 12 months.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As long as you are a playing member of a club your handicap is live.
It can however have a status of 'c' (Competition) or non-competition (shown as ' ' on the CDH.
Both statuses are legitimate CONGU handicaps.

All clubs must allow ' ' members play in a reasonable number of qualifying competitions. Most/many permit entry into honours board or other 'important' competitions but restrict the ability to qualify for a prize. However, they qualify for handicap purposes.

A minimum of 3 qualifying scores must be returned in the calendar year to maintain 'c' status. This includes supplementary cards. But you don't lose your CONGU handicap.

If you leave a club your handicap lapses but can be resurrected if you rejoin or join another within 12 months.

So if you havent had a handicap for more than 12 months you have to start over?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
So if you havent had a handicap for more than 12 months you have to start over?

I may be wrong but I believe in England you don't have to start again, but you would need to submit 3 rounds to gain competition status.

If I leave my club, play as nomad in social rounds for a couple of years then join another club I just give them my CDH number and that's my handicap, but I'd need to make it active with the 3 rounds.

Again I believe but could be wrong that in Scotland your handicap can lapse, I'm not sure what this means or what you have to do to get it back

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if you haven't had a handicap for more than 12 months you have to start over?
In effect yes. Your CDH (Lifetime) ID is 'resurrected' but you have to submit a minimum of 3 cards to get a new handicap. Your old handicap is not automatically reissued but should be used by the committee when considering the new allocation.

26.1 A CONGU® Handicap is lost when a player ceases to be a Member of an Affiliated Club. When a player resigns from a club and joins another there is often a time interval between the two memberships. If the handicap of a player is to be restored within twelve months of the date on which his handicap was lost, or suspended, it must be reinstated at the same handicap the player last held. In restoring the handicap of a player whose ‘c’ status handicap has been lost in such circumstances that ‘c’ status shall remain valid for the remainder of the calendar year of resignation and for the full following calendar year. In all other cases the player shall be allotted a new handicap after he has complied with the requirements of Clause 16. When a player has transferred to a new club within the same jurisdiction that player’s CDH number transfers with him. Clubs must obtain that number from the player (even if there has been a period of time when the player was not a Member of either club) and must follow the guidance of the software provider(s) to ensure that the CDH number is transferred correctly. In Ireland, a player transferring to a new club obtains a new CDH number.
26.2 When restoring a handicap which has been lost or suspended for more than twelve months the Handicap Committee, in addition to proceeding as required by Clause 16, must give due and full consideration to the handicap the player last held (see Clause 16.3). A Category 1 handicap must not be allotted without the approval of the Union or Area Authority if so delegated.
England and Ireland delegate responsibility for approval of Category 1 restorations to their Area Authorities. `Scotland and Wales make no delegation under this clause.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be wrong but I believe in England you don't have to start again, but you would need to submit 3 rounds to gain competition status.

If I leave my club, play as nomad in social rounds for a couple of years then join another club I just give them my CDH number and that's my handicap, but I'd need to make it active with the 3 rounds.

Again I believe but could be wrong that in Scotland your handicap can lapse, I'm not sure what this means or what you have to do to get it back

That is incorrect. If you were not a club member for a couple of years, on joining a club you would have to submit 3 cards for a new handicap with your previous history taken into account. Your CDH number is no longer valid if you are out of club membership for a couple of years.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
That is incorrect. If you were not a club member for a couple of years, on joining a club you would have to submit 3 cards for a new handicap with your previous history taken into account. Your CDH number is no longer valid if you are out of club membership for a couple of years.

Yep I was totally wrong, everyone ignore my previous post

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
In effect yes. Your CDH (Lifetime) ID is 'resurrected' but you have to submit a minimum of 3 cards to get a new handicap. Your old handicap is not automatically reissued but should be used by the committee when considering the new allocation.

Advice received from our ISV was that expired CDH numbers are deleted after around 2 years. I had a situation where a player returned to our club after a period of more than 2 years without a club and his original CDH number could not be re-instated and a new number was allocated. If you wish, I will PM you that advice.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Advice received from our ISV was that expired CDH numbers are deleted after around 2 years. I had a situation where a player returned to our club after a period of more than 2 years without a club and his original CDH number could not be re-instated and a new number was allocated. If you wish, I will PM you that advice.
That is no longer the case. That is why they are now described as a 'Lifetime' ID. The CDH ID remains in the CDH data base but is in limbo.

I believe Ireland is the exception.