USPGA - how to watch?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let me also expand.

I watched it on iPhone from the Facebook thread

First you have all those constant comments from people flooding on the screen and the viewing of it wasn’t great

In the just under an hour I watched they did show more than just putting which is good , but you could see when the US Coverage went to a quick break because in popped someone from ElevenSports and explained what had happened and then after a minute or so went back to the golf , that seemed to happen every 8 mins or so , totally agree that you weren’t flooded by”Skyzone” etc etc which is good , the commentary just didn’t add anything but better than Roe and Co

The young lady I have seen from Golf World and see is good , far better than that Henni lady but Seb is shocking and can see him being binned off

For a service that people will have to pay for after this event then it needs to improve massively.

But it’s the future and can only see more sport going the same way because Sky I don’t think can keep affording to pay out millions because “apparently” their Subscribers are dropping off with costs going up but services going down

Tonight I’ll watch it on my laptop so hopefully that might be a bit better

But it’s not great when they had far more time to prepare than the BBC yet couldn’t even launch it when the big “marquee” group started

It’s not really free to air though is it - this is an initial trial and after it’s behind a pay wall

Because I believe it’s not just a year contract they have got it for a few years - so it’s not going to be back on Sky

You can mute the comments on Facebook

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, I don't have a smart TV, and as I have zero internet in my TV room, despite Sky installing 4 boosters in my house, it would not work anyway. This rules out any sort of streaming.

I can watch on a tablet downstairs, but I find I need a much bigger screen to see the ball.

Rumour has it, the next to go down the streaming route will be the Masters. I can pretty much guarantee that this sort of rubbish experiment will not be for the American audience, who will continue to get golf on the telly.

Without going off topic too much streaming is going to be the way forward for tv companies, so many use at the moment. A lot of channels on bt are via streaming but you don’t notice because you view via a tv box

The country needs to get its high speed net working in all areas before pushing streaming though its cutting off a lot of people

Sky are great but overpriced

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The elevin sports website works better than the facebook link.

The pictures is exactly what you would see from sky.

I actully miss the sky razzamattaz that they bring to a major. Without all the fancy hole fly overs it just kinda feels a little flat.

I will enjoy it for what it is. Its free so wont complain too much but given the choice i would watch this on sky sports every time. They are actually rather good at what they do.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The elevin sports website works better than the facebook link.

The pictures is exactly what you would see from sky.

I actully miss the sky razzamattaz that they bring to a major. Without all the fancy hole fly overs it just kinda feels a little flat.

I will enjoy it for what it is. Its free so wont complain too much but given the choice i would watch this on sky sports every time. They are actually rather good at what they do.

Totally agree with you, unless you've got a newer smart TV and can connect with that, watching on the laptop was the next best thing.

Lee73

Visit site
Don’t know if this has already been posted and haven’t got time to look all through but I just downloaded the USPGA app on my iPad and now I’m watching Justin Rose live for free!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t know if this has already been posted and haven’t got time to look all through but I just downloaded the USPGA app on my iPad and now I’m watching Justin Rose live for free!!
I'm also watching Speith/Rose/Rahm group via Eleven Sports Facebook on my phone. It's true what someone said earlier though, you can't really see the ball on approach shots when it's on your phone. Just waiting for the commentator to tell me it's on the green or not, haha.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Also the reason they need your credit card for a free trial, so that they don't have to recontact everyone who's happy and wants to continue with the service (& temporarily restrict access again because it may take several days or more for them to enter CC details) all a bit messy unless you take credit card details up front

This is surely tongue in cheek. Of course you can give a free trial without taking credit card details. They certainly dont 'need' it. And then take details from those who do want the paid for services. Who takes days to enter CC details ???
So no, they shouldnt be taking card details up front. Or even if they took them, given that people are signing up for an advertised 'free' trial, they could make the default that you are not billed unless you opt in at the registration section.

So it is a calculated scam, that people will either not realise they must opt out after a week, or that a certain percentage will forget to do so even if they mean to. And they help themselves to your cash.

The move to internet TV, pay per even to multiplatforms is interesting, and indeed the future. But its a pity that it seems to be driven at the moment by this type of exploitative, non-customer oriented, provider who aims to hide detail in the small print aimed at parting people from money they did not intend to give. Giving them the perception of fly by might scam merchants. The sad thing is, that clearly to them, and to some customers, this type of business philosophy "if you fool them into giving you their money then you have done a good job", seems to be on the increase.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is surely tongue in cheek. Of course you can give a free trial without taking credit card details. They certainly dont 'need' it. And then take details from those who do want the paid for services. Who takes days to enter CC details ???
So no, they shouldnt be taking card details up front. Or even if they took them, given that people are signing up for an advertised 'free' trial, they could make the default that you are not billed unless you opt in at the registration section.

So it is a calculated scam, that people will either not realise they must opt out after a week, or that a certain percentage will forget to do so even if they mean to. And they help themselves to your cash.

The move to internet TV, pay per even to multiplatforms is interesting, and indeed the future. But its a pity that it seems to be driven at the moment by this type of exploitative, non-customer oriented, provider who aims to hide detail in the small print aimed at parting people from money they did not intend to give. Giving them the perception of fly by might scam merchants. The sad thing is, that clearly to them, and to some customers, this type of business philosophy "if you fool them into giving you their money then you have done a good job", seems to be on the increase.

Its the same with every free trail though, amazon, nexflix etc all do the same but are they scamming anyone? No. Plus having taken up the trial my self it clearly states that you need to cancel and that you will be charged. It gives you the date that your account will be billed from if you don't cancel. If you choose not to read any of that then yes indeed you are a fool, but not because they have not given you all the information.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watched a couple of hours tonight and the coverage is shocking. Only showing the marquee group, Tiger et al. No one else is getting a look in. You would think it is a 6 man field. The commentary from the states is fine but the British team are poor in my opinion.
I need sky to get this back.
In response to previous comment about the masters going to streaming, I only pray that they do it in house and charge through their own app.

D

Deleted member 15344

Watched a couple of hours tonight and the coverage is shocking. Only showing the marquee group, Tiger et al. No one else is getting a look in. You would think it is a 6 man field. The commentary from the states is fine but the British team are poor in my opinion.
I need sky to get this back.
In response to previous comment about the masters going to streaming, I only pray that they do it in house and charge through their own app.

The marquee groups are exactly the same as what the US Open did - so it being on Sky would make zero difference because if it was on Sky the pictures would be no different at all - the marquee groups is something that it is getting too popular over there and it allows them just to concentrate on a couple of groups

Watched the coverage tonight and it was ok , prefer the commentary to what is on Sky , there was no skycart , Skyzone nonsense - but it was a shame they just focussed on the main groups

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
See, this is what happens. No TV proper TV broadcaster overage and they get taken off because of electrical storms.

It wouldn't have happened in the good old days :D:thup:

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Havent succumbed to watching the USPGA mickey mouse offering. What a shambles this is all becoming. Its going to put so many people off watching sport. Here we are with expensive 50/60 inch smart TV's hung on our walls, but having to bodge together workarounds just to watch on phones, ipads, etc. No straightforward platform. What are these organisers thinking of? Its not only Golf,the US Open Tennis has gone to Amazon, & from next year all ATP Tour events are on there. So now we have a medley of Sky, BT, Premier Sports, Amazon, EuroSport Player & Eleven, to pay out for. Getting pretty fed up.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So having made one attempt on Thursday to watch on the desktop computer (NO HD card but good size HD monitor) I gave up because of the poor video and quality and sitting at normal seat .

I made another attempt last night notebook with HD connected to lounge TV. Eleven appeared to not be showing anything and there appeared to be a lot of adverse comment about the loss of pictures from them. I switched to the PGA. Great coverage of 'on the range ' but nothing of on the course TW MAC to be the featured group coming but they were still on the range. So switched channels with note book showing what was happening. Aha there appeared to be some on course golf. Switch channels but it was just some small happening it suddenly then needed a pause put to be put in to play but was just showing and incident.

If this going to be what happens with online viewing then I'm out.

Comfy armchair and a remote control are definitely my friends.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like coverage today isn’t on the PGA app unless I’ve misunderstood?

edit-app just updated and looks like it will show finish of Rory’s group not sure after that.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just signed up for the free trial, downloaded the app onto my iPad and the quality of the picture vs the live Facebook feed is night and day. Quality on the app is phenomenal.